View Full Version : 308 reduced load

Totosdad
04-09-2021, 07:56 PM
I have been loading 125 grain hornady hollow points
using IMR 4198. The 4198 seems to be out everywhere I look,
I was looking at some Shooters World powders,
and it lists SOCOM As a similar burn rate
My question is, if I used the SOCOM,
how much lighter should I start my load at?
I currently load the 4198 at 25 grains.

sharpshooter
04-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Loading 25 grs of 4198 will run you the risk of SEE (secondary explosion effect) from lack of powder density. 4198 is not even listed in any manual as a suitable powder because it is to fast for that case size. Consult your loading manual for a more suitable powder.

charlie b
04-09-2021, 09:35 PM
Reduced loads are a mixed bag and burn rate is only one factor. Some work well, some don't. Some are very position sensitive, others are not. Some just don't burn consistently at reduced charges. Some get very erratic.

Almost all my reduced loads are cast and powder coated bullets, 1700-2400fps, 160gn to 210gn.

Don't know anything about SOCOM. Again, for cast bullets, 2400 is a very popular powder for reduced loads. I have also used 4198, 4895, 3031 and 4166. Heck, I've even used Varget.

For plinking loads, ~1200fps or less, I use pistol powders like Blue Dot, TiteGroup, etc.

The only way to come up with a decent load is to start low, measure velocity and then determine what you need to do with the charge weight. Unless you can find some load data for the powder in a rifle then you will be guessing as to pressures.

This info gives a good place to start. The .30-30 data is really close to the performance I get in the .308

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

The only reduced jacketed load data I know of from the mfgs is Hodgdon and 4895, which they suggest is good for a 60% of max listed in their book.

Totosdad
04-10-2021, 07:41 AM
I got the load from the Speer manual

PhilC
04-10-2021, 09:55 AM
Speer list a reduced load for 308 using IMR4198 - https://reloadingdata.speer.com/downloads/speer/reloading-pdfs/rifle/308_Winchester_125.pdf

As to Shooter's World powder, their comparison chart states:

Burn rate charts provide an approximate comparison of gas generation rates between propellants. This chart should NOT be used to directly substitute
one propellant for another.

And the comment at bottom of the powder/caliber chart, gray boxes are listed as "Usable" and white boxes are "Unusable". Per their chart, SOCOM is "Unusable" for 308.

SOCOM description:

SOCOM smokeless powder has no reloading propellant equivalent. It is faster in burn speed than ACCURATE 1680® and slower in burn speed than Winchester 296 or Hodgdon H110. The propellant gas generation rate is appropriate for .300 Blackout, 7.62x39, straight-walled rifle cartridges, and especially .458 SOCOM, where rapid transformation from powder to gas is desired.

Of recent findings, SOCOM is quite adept as a SINGLE propellant for BOTH .300 Blackout subsonic AND supersonic applications. It has lower residue than 1680 in subsonic applications, and outperforms 296 in supersonic applications.

Its performance with a 220 grain Sierra Match King for a subsonic load is perfect. But where it really shines is with a 150-grain FMJ…or hunting bullet. Where other propellants leave the .300 Blackout anemic at best with a 150 grain bullet, SOCOM can be used to approach the velocity of a .30-30 Winchester with the same barrel length! The energy level of a 150 grain bullet at 2150 fps from a 16” barrel is quite impressive, given this small cartridge.

Due to its burn rate and density, there’s every indication is that this propellant will perform well with the larger magnum pistol family. Where “1680” is a bit too slow for the .500 S&W and like cartridges, the gas generation rate of SOCOM keeps up with the needs of the expansion ratios of these large magnum pistol bores and bullet sectional densities.

The Lovex brand does not carry this propellant. It is a proprietary burn speed manufactured for Southern Ballistic Research, and canistered by Shooters World.

The density of SOCOM is approximately 0.99 grams/cc. It contains a level of flash suppressant. Its spherical geometry assures highly consistent powder drops, when making rounds on a progressive loader.

I would not use SOCOM.

hamiltonkiler
04-10-2021, 09:33 PM
I have a .22lr

All kidding not really, aside.

Reduced loads just have never worked for me.

My fun guns are .22lr and .223

When you build a .22lr and learn a scope and your gun the 300yd range is really fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b
04-11-2021, 07:32 AM
I've had many .22lr's. Doesn't give me the same satisfaction as downloaded stuff. Most are not as accurate. The ones that are cost more than my Axis.

Then there is the sound of a large chunk of lead hitting the target. Shooting them reminds me of long range with a .45-70.

Since I cast, the cost per round is less as well.

big honkin jeep
04-11-2021, 06:08 PM
I've been doing reduced loads for the grand kids nieces and nephews for a few years now and have gotten to where I really like to shoot them myself. I'd be really careful because the secondary expolsion mentioned by sharpshooter, as well as hang fires (delayed ignition think Click 1,2,3......BOOM) is very real and not enough powder can be just as dangerous as too much in more ways than one. Make SURE you choose the right powder.

The .308 is an ideal candidate with reduced recoil, noise, and muzzle blast with plenty of power and H4895 has proven to be the ideal powder allowing a reduction of up to 60% of a maximum charge for cartridges that Hodgon has provided H4895 data for. In other words it has a super wide range of acceptable charge weights allowing you to tune from super minimal with the 60% of max reduction, to enough to hunt with (I like a 125gr 308 at about 2400+fps) to a maximum charge, without issue other than standard reloading diligence.

If you're looking to run reduced loads then H4895 is exactly what you're looking for. here's a link to some info on Hodgdon 4895 that you may find useful.
https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/light-recoil-subsonic-youth-hunting-and-informal-target-and-plinking-loads.
and Here's some data reprinted from Hodgdon
http://www.furorsniper.cz/data/download/Hodgdonreduced.pdf

I've been loading 125 and 130 gr bullets for .308 and had good results with several nice deer taken, and the kids sending lots of .308 ( I'll usually load em 50 for an all day range session) down range and asking for more.
Here's a pic of my 12yo nephew on his first ever hunting trip. Load was a 125gr SST over 38gr of H4895. This Alabama 8 pt never took another step or even wiggled after the shot. I've used the same charge weight with both 125 and 130gr bullets of various manufacture. Mild enough on the kids to shoot all day but plenty of downrange energy.
https://i.imgur.com/2cHBGWi.jpg

Robinhood
04-13-2021, 12:41 AM
Someone needs a 300 B.O. Barrel.