PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 223 rebarrel?

KMW1954
04-08-2021, 09:39 PM
So this used model 10 223 I purchased a short while ago may need help. I've tried a number of different loads in it and haven't been able to find anything it likes. I am thinking it may need to be re-barreled. as I have never done this before can anyone give me a general ball park cost of a stock barrel or maybe an upgrade to a varmint profile barrel?

Txhillbilly
04-08-2021, 10:31 PM
You can find take off barrels for $100+, or you can buy a pre-fit aftermarket barrel like Shilen, Criterion, McGowen, X-Caliber, E.R. Shaw, etc.. They will cost you $200 - $400, but they will out shoot a factory barrel all day long.
Northland Shooter's is a good place to buy a Shilen or Criterion barrel.
X-Caliber makes a great barrel, and usually run their barrels on sale around any holiday for 25% off.
Gun Shack sells Shaw and McGowen barrels for really good prices.

hamiltonkiler
04-09-2021, 05:42 AM
Try a good smith recrown job first. Took mine from 1.5 to now under 1moa.
He had to take an inch of barrel since the end was pitted so bad. The bullet never had a chance to come come out stable.

Scrub the whistle out of the barrel with a brush on a drill. Use solvent and toothpaste.

Then foul shoot it 10 times or so.

Then print some groups and see how she does.

My barrel looks like the moons surface on the inside.

Make sure your scope is good and the bases and rings are good.

Sorry if you know these things just throwing them out there.

Barrel needs to be floated away from stock.
Bedding the front of the action and recoil lug helps a lot. Make sure torque on take down bolts are adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMW1954
04-09-2021, 08:05 PM
So this gun was purchased used and the serial number makes it look like a 19992/93 and it does have the Accutrigger and hardwood stock. Overall the gun looks as though it was well taken care of though I have no idea how much it was shot. Or how good the older barrels were compared to today's barrels. I also have a 223 Axis that will out shoot this one.

First action will be to try a good copper cleaner on it and then maybe a different scope. I really like the fit and feel of this gun just disappointed in the accuracy.

KMW1954
04-10-2021, 04:39 PM
correction, age looks to be 2003/04

Texas10
04-24-2021, 07:44 AM
IF you don't already have one, I'd suggest you invest in a borescope camera. The Teslong is very popular and not expensive yet will offer a clear view of the condition of the lands and grooves. I suspect you'll find a lot of copper buildup, and perhaps a carbon ring in the throat, both of which will kill accuracy. Nevertheless, you'll know what chemicals you'll need to clean the barrel back to original, and you'll confirm your cleaning regiment works as you intended.

One other suggestion, and you may have already checked this, is to torque your action screws properly, and then go to the range and torque tune the rear action screw. You'll be amazed at how much it'll improve your groups. Start the rear screw at 15 in lbs and gradually tighten while shooting two shot groups. Your groups will tighten and then loosen as the rear screw is too tight. Loosen back up a bit and approach the torque that gave the best groups. Mark the head of the screw so you know when it has loosened, as Savages are prone to do.

A while back I was at the range talking to a couple of Savage 6.5 CM owners who were complaining about loss of accuracy over the years. Their beloved rifles just didn't shoot as well as new. I offered my help which they gladly accepted, and check the torque on their actions. Both were loose. I torqued them up and then torque tuned the rear screw. Both shot better than new, with inch and a half groups at 300 yds shooting Hornaday ammo. One was still in its original plastic stock!