PDA

View Full Version : What SHORT ACTION calibers are available on Savage Large Shank barrels?

geneackley
04-08-2021, 03:33 PM
A friend of mine just bought a Savage 110 tactical in 6.5 PRC, but unfortunately there is no ammo anywhere to enjoy it with right now!

So he was thinking about just buying another Savage pre-fit barrel in another short action caliber so that he could shoot it for now... But then he discovered its a large shank barrel!!!

So my question here is if anyone knows what other SHORT ACTION CALIBERS are available in SAVAGE LARGE SHANK (if any)???

Thanks

Gene

Robinhood
04-08-2021, 04:40 PM
Don't forget that is a magnum BH and SA magnum magazine. Are you limited to prefit or just savage chambered barrels?

efm77
04-09-2021, 08:20 AM
You can have whatever barrel you want in a large shank chambered for pretty much whatever you want. If he's having one made, it doesn't matter. If he's looking for a takeoff barrel, then probably a barrel that came off of one of the target action models would be the best place to start (ie. 12LRP, 12 single shot target models).

charlie b
04-09-2021, 02:49 PM
Current chamberins?

Just look at the target platforms. They have large shank.

Like stated above, you do know you'd have to change to bolt face to a non-magnum for a lot of them.

Easiest answer and most commonly availabe ammo these days would be .308 or .223. Not necessarily match ammo, but, at least he could shoot it.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk