PDA

View Full Version : Axis II Heavy Barrel .223

beefsupreme
04-06-2021, 09:51 AM
Hello. I have the Axis II HB in .223. It's in the original plastic stock it came in years ago - it's a Kryptek pattern that I like. However, as you know, it flexes like crazy. I really only shoot off a bench with it at 100 yards (the longest my local range will allow). I duct-taped a pool noodle to the stock so that my head was level with the scope - it actually works pretty well but is a bit unsightly... but I'm more about function than looks anyways.

I'm debating about purchasing a Boyd's replacement stock for it. Right now, I'm getting 3 shot groups around 1.5 inches at 100 yards with factory ammo. 5 shot groups are just a bit larger. Reloading isn't an option and so I'm stuck with the best ammo I can find - it tends to like American Gunner .223 the best.

My question is whether or not throwing the money into a Boyd's replacement stock will show me any improvement down range. I work outside the US for months at a time and really just want something I can come home, take to the range, and relax with - this is the reason reloading isn't an option.

Thanks in advance for the help.

prdatr
04-06-2021, 10:11 AM
A new stock should give you better groups. I bought an Axis a few years ago in 243, a compact model so it would be as light as possible for hunting. The first thing I did was take the stock off and wipe the oil off the barrel and action. I then re-centered the barreled action in the stock, as it was toughing on one side and torqued it back down.
I put on Talley lightweight rings and bases and put a Zeiss Terra 3x9 scope on it and took it to the range. The trigger was probably a goo 6 pounds and my best groups were about just over an inch for 5 shots. Fine for hunting but I wanted better groups. I ordered a Rifle Basix trigger for about $90 and installed it which took about 10 minutes. I then adjusted it to just under 2 pounds. Back to the range I was not consistently getting 3/4" groups and still had not broken the bank.
There are others on here who have added pillars in the factory stock using an aluminum arrow shaft and also stiffened up the factor stock to improve accuracy and some have also commented that their particular rifles accuracy improved after a few hundred rounds.

hamiltonkiler
04-06-2021, 11:46 AM
Bed the front of the action and recoil lug with JB weld.
Fill the front forearm gridding up inside the stock with JB weld.

Ammo is holding you back also.
That gun will shoot MOA.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b
04-06-2021, 05:54 PM
The gun is the same as mine. I've got close to 4000 rounds through it now.

Yes, it is bedded into a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I replaced the scope with a Vortex Diamonback 16x44. It is 'easy' to shoot 1/2MOA with good reloads (77gn Sierra Match Kings).

With the factory stock it should shoot under 1" at 100yd with good ammo. Just make sure the barrel is not touching the stock when on the rest. If it is, hog it out a bit.

The BIGGEST issue for you is ammo. Most .223 ammo is cheaply made and will struggle to get under 1.5". Much of it won't even do 2".

A new stock will not magically make cheap ammo shoot that much better. I shot with the factory stock and scope quite a bit before I changed and could easily shoot under 1" with good bullets.

If you run into some good stuff, like Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal match ammo, then your stock might limit you.

Having said all that, it is much more pleasant to shoot with a better stock. If buying one now I'd go for an AT-One or a chassis.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

beefsupreme
04-08-2021, 09:47 PM
The gun is the same as mine. I've got close to 4000 rounds through it now.

Yes, it is bedded into a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I replaced the scope with a Vortex Diamonback 16x44. It is 'easy' to shoot 1/2MOA with good reloads (77gn Sierra Match Kings).

With the factory stock it should shoot under 1" at 100yd with good ammo. Just make sure the barrel is not touching the stock when on the rest. If it is, hog it out a bit.

The BIGGEST issue for you is ammo. Most .223 ammo is cheaply made and will struggle to get under 1.5". Much of it won't even do 2".

A new stock will not magically make cheap ammo shoot that much better. I shot with the factory stock and scope quite a bit before I changed and could easily shoot under 1" with good bullets.

If you run into some good stuff, like Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal match ammo, then your stock might limit you.

Having said all that, it is much more pleasant to shoot with a better stock. If buying one now I'd go for an AT-One or a chassis.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I'm thinking about getting an Oryx chassis for it... it solves magazine issues and is an easy install - which is what I need at this point. I enjoy tinkering and have bedded a few - but for the price, larger capacity mags, and easy install, I think I'm going with a chassis AND some better ammo. Thanks again.

UrbanRedneck
07-18-2021, 11:19 AM
A boyds stock is nice. I'm not sure what kind of services they offer...like pillar bedding and whatknot...because I just ordered a plain stock. Once I got it, I installed my own pillars and bedded it. I think boyds offers a huge value. I think they are about half the cost of a chasis but you can order the fully adjustable stock and then do the finer fitting/bedding yourself. But, the drop-in handiness of a chasis has its benefits too.That being said...another simpler option would be work with the factory stock. Take the stock off and pack the honeycomb in the bottom of the stock with jb weld or other epoxy. You can even cut a channel down the length for an aluminum rod and then pack jbweld around that. The result will be an ultra stiff forend that should elminate that flex you were experiencing. My 6.5 cm heavy barrel axis in my boyds from another thread.https://i.ibb.co/st52YJB/20210716-105754-2-jpg.pngOut of the box with the plastic stock are the upper left.https://i.ibb.co/Mhc186k/20210704-143418-1.jpg

charlie b
07-18-2021, 08:07 PM
Thanks all. I'm thinking about getting an Oryx chassis for it... it solves magazine issues and is an easy install - which is what I need at this point. I enjoy tinkering and have bedded a few - but for the price, larger capacity mags, and easy install, I think I'm going with a chassis AND some better ammo. Thanks again.

Good pick. And, yes, some better ammo will work wonders for you.

FWIW, just took mine out yesterday. 200yds, 0.75" and 0.9" groups. At 600yd it opened up to 5" on paper. Wind kicked up and I had a hard time hitting the 5" steel plate.