PDA

View Full Version : Tikka barrel change. A new gorilla in town!

snowgetter1
04-02-2021, 02:31 PM
Omg. I have had some tough savage barrels but the tikka was bad. Started with reversed action wrench to get on the flats of the tikka action. No joy. Read on interwebs of using a large crescent wrench on the flats. Removed the action wrench, shimmer the barrel with lead and rosin in the barrel vise, and tried whacking the 15" cresent wrench with 3lb hammer. No joy. Put 3' breaker bar on wrench. Picked up the whole table but thought it might of moved a little. Removed breaker bar and really whacked the crescent wrench. Almost seemed like the flats of the action bent but it started to move. Two more whacks it finally gave away. The barrel spun right off. No damage to the barrel or action except for slight blueing scratched. And I had soaked the action in kroil for 3 days prior. Glad it is off now I can install my x caliber 22-250 AI.

coyote wacker
04-07-2021, 09:22 AM
I have been thinking of a "new" barrel on my Tikka, 458 x 2" American. It sort of scares me reading all the on so tight stories of barrels. I wonder if they "warm" them up before installing, never herd of one being easy removing.
Might just use a Savage have several possible donors available. I'am left handed and what I have are possible donors.
Just wonder if soaking in Kroils for a week might help, or even longer is part of the secret.

snowgetter1
04-10-2021, 10:15 PM
Not sure if any of that would help or not. I read a lot of people cut relief cuts just ahead of the action. But the a good barrel is ruined. I am still debating a 358 Winchester tikka.