PDA

View Full Version : Unusual 6 BR reloading request

CaptainH
11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I hope to receive my new Savage F Class rifle in 6 BR during the first week of December. I would like to shoot in a large regional midrange / F class during the last week of December in Florida. I have brass prepped and ready to load, but I am waiting for the rifle to see how far I should set the 107 Sierra Match Kings back from engagement. I have other Savage rifles and it seems that with the Sierra bullets that 0.02 from engagement works pretty well. Trouble is I will not have enough time or enough decent weather to work up a load prior to leaving for Florida from Ohio. I could load enough rounds to get me through the match and hope for the best without working up my own load. For those of you shooting this rifle - bullet combination - what load of Varget are you using and how long are you seating the bullets? I could go with overall length or with a Stoney Point Comparator reading. If not Varget, please give your lenght specs. Thanks for helping.

Cover Dog
11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Sent you a PM

GaCop
11-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Good luck using the 107 SMK. So far, I've not had consistent accuracy with that bullet in my Lothar Walther barrel.

tiny68
11-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Honestly your rolling the dice here. Every barrel has its own favorite load. It have shot a lot of 107 SMK in 6mm Rem, 6 AI, and 6BR. Proven bullet. My 6BR is a 28" Shilen 1:8. With Laupa brass, Wolf primers, 30.0 gr of Varget, and the 107s jammed 0.005" into the lands are 0.25 MOA in my gun. I also have really good luck with RE-15 with the 105 VLDs and RE-17 with the 95 VLDs. I really recommend trying to get some range time for a little load development. You can push the higher with the Varget but work up slow. Each barrel has its own max load. Luck, Tim

Few other loads to consider at the bottom: http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

GaCop
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks tiny68, I'll have to give that load a try in my LW barrel.