PDA

View Full Version : What shooting mat do you like and why?

geneackley
03-26-2021, 02:16 PM
I have my own shooting range with benches out on my pasture on the farm, so I have never really shot prone much... But I figure that needs to change now, so I want to buy a shooting mat.

And I am an old, fat, fart, so comfort is important.

So which ones do you like and why?

I dont mind paying a little extra for one... I just don't want cheap garbage!!!

I am intrigued by the type that convert into a carry case with pockets for stuff... Do those exist or am I imagining things?

Maybe those dont make for actual good mats since they try to do so much...

But anyway,

Thanks.

SageRat Shooter
03-26-2021, 02:56 PM
I bought the Cabelas mat a couple years ago and am very happy with it. 2 different bipod stops and a couple pockets for holding some gear while you shoot.
It looks like its made by Rangemaxx now, but it's the same mat.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/rangemaxx-shooting-mat-100123255

geneackley
03-26-2021, 03:01 PM
I bought the Cabelas mat a couple years ago and am very happy with it. 2 different bipod stops and a couple pockets for holding some gear while you shoot.
It looks like its made by Rangemaxx now, but it's the same mat.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/rangemaxx-shooting-mat-100123255

I am looking at it now.

Wow!!! Its very nice.... I am tempted to go ahead and order it now, but I will hold off till a see at least a couple more to be sure.

Again, Thank You!!!

SageRat Shooter
03-26-2021, 03:39 PM
No problem... The one thing I should mention as a slight negative is: The black areas on the mat can get a little HOT when laid out in the sun for a bit. No too bad up here where I am, but being down there in TX... It could be more of an issue

hamiltonkiler
03-26-2021, 03:46 PM
My wife’s old yoga mats.

Same reason I shoot a factory parted savage rifle

Same reason I like SWFA scopes

They work.
They are cheap.

And my friends pick on me. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geneackley
03-26-2021, 04:54 PM
My wife’s old yoga mats.

Same reason I shoot a factory parted savage rifle

Same reason I like SWFA scopes

They work.
They are cheap.

And my friends pick on me. [emoji2]

You have a wonderfully understanding wife my friend. Take good care of her!!! ha ha ha !!!

Fuj'
03-26-2021, 04:58 PM
I normally don't shoot prone other then the occasion to work
over a wood chuck colony. I keep in the trunk a U-Haul heavy
shipping mat. Also, squirt it down with tick repellent, and keep
it in a plastic bag.

geneackley
03-26-2021, 04:59 PM
No problem... The one thing I should mention as a slight negative is: The black areas on the mat can get a little HOT when laid out in the sun for a bit. No too bad up here where I am, but being down there in TX... It could be more of an issue

You see, that's the kind of stuff you can ONLY learn from asking people who own things. You are never gonna get the complete story from salesmen or catalogs!!!

I am pretty fair and have had skin cancer so I would likely shoot from shade or under a tarp to avoid the hot Texas Sun! But that is good to know.

Again, Thank you Sage Rat!!!

geneackley
03-26-2021, 05:02 PM
I normally don't shoot prone other then the occasion to work
over a wood chuck colony. I keep in the trunk a U-Haul heavy
shipping mat. Also, squirt it down with tick repellent, and keep
it in a plastic bag.

Good option. Cheap too!!!

But does U-haul know you stole their mat????

ha ha ha !!!

Thanks.

Txhillbilly
03-26-2021, 05:34 PM
I've got a mat that I bought from Midway, but my old wore out body / joints doesn't allow me to shoot in prone position anymore. That's why I have two tri-pod setups to shoot off of. I can use them standing, setting in a chair, or setting on the ground.

celltech
03-26-2021, 05:48 PM
Midway Pro..thick padding, holds the bipod legs, and cheap: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939101910

Robinhood
03-26-2021, 06:42 PM
Hey Hamiltonkiler. Do you use her yoga pants too? :)

hamiltonkiler
03-26-2021, 10:05 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210327/510c2bdd1460f07ad5d9f41a89c144ca.jpg
I’m not scared too. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji16]

charlie b
03-27-2021, 08:21 AM
That's too funny!

Yep, down here in the sun any canvas product will heat up, as well anything dark. Even the steel benches get too hot to sit on some days. And, yes, I have the skin cancer scars which is why I wear hats, long sleeves, long pants and even gloves most of the time when I am out side.

Shooting during the summer I use a shade for the rifle more than for me.

When I did use a mat it was a small tarp with one of the thick yoga mats on top of it. Back then we didn't think about things like bipod 'stops' but that would be high on my list these days.

geneackley
03-27-2021, 09:56 AM

You are an EVIL MAN Robinhood!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!

geneackley
03-27-2021, 11:27 PM
Havent forgotten about a mat... but I got detoured today with some refinements to my new rifle;

My Nucleus came with a 25 lb spring: figured out how to swap in a 16 pounder; I am actually kind of proud of myself; I had never taken down a nucleus action before...

I also then adjusted my TriggerTech trigger down to 2 pounds like all my other guns have!!!

My new rifle scope turns out was also a bit high.... so I ordered some lower rings so my cheek piece wouldn't have to ride so high that in fact it would wiggle a bit much. I wanted a more solid setup.

Finally I ordered a proper cover for the bottom buttstock hook on my Bravo as well as a more adjustable buttstock kit...

All those parts come in Tuesday... not sure about the new scope rings...

geneackley
03-30-2021, 10:22 PM
https://youtu.be/6FzdlyK7i-0

Robinhood
03-31-2021, 07:10 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210327/510c2bdd1460f07ad5d9f41a89c144ca.jpg
I’m not scared too. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji16]

A day that will live in infamy! I can't unsee this!!! LOL