PDA

View Full Version : Everything shortage

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr.Snerdly
03-25-2021, 05:28 PM
Primers, bullets, powder, brass, everything you need is in short or no supply. Could the government be behind this? I don't know if I am believing the explanations we re getting. It is beyond question their ultimate goal is to disarm civilians.

Rich
03-25-2021, 05:58 PM
Are you trying to say that the present administration is buying all the components so that we can't have them ?

The problem is us... many have stockpiled more than they could possibly use in a couple of life times... out of fear .....

or were smart enough to have seen that there would be those willing to pay $40 a hundred for small rifle primers .

This has happened so many times in my shooting life that I can't understand why so many still keep getting caught with their pants down

charlie b
03-25-2021, 08:09 PM
I also remember all the conspiracy theories. One was the IRS was buying up all the ammo cause they had a contract competition for 9mm during a shortage. Someone else dug up an Army (or Marine) contract and posted it...after they changed the dates on it. Someone else floated one that they added some zeros to the amount contracted.

So, of course, the government is behind everything. That's why this shortage started during Trump's presidency. He was out to disarm the public, except for his private support organizations of course.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

FWIW, if you want to be worried about something, look how few primer and powder suppliers there are now in the US.

tomme boy
03-26-2021, 04:01 AM
If you are shorthanded then you have not been paying attention. After the first primer shortages in the 90's I learned my lesson. I have a 10 year supply at least of everything. And that is shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns every weekend. I still have primers that I paid $9.99 for. I will shoot them up in the next few weeks. Still have close to 5K old AA hulls I have not even got to yet. Let alone the 10K remington sts hulls. Or the 55g baof 9mm and 55g barrel of 556 brass.

There is only a shortage if you let it happen to yourself.

Mr.Snerdly
03-26-2021, 11:14 AM
^^^I haven't been doing this long. Didn't know the history.

Robinhood
03-26-2021, 07:41 PM
^^^I haven't been doing this long. Didn't know the history. I have quite a few years of NRA magazines. I randomly grab an issue for the "library". The last one i grabbed was from the year 2014. I had to look at the date because the ammo shortage articles were identical to today's.

charlie b
03-26-2021, 10:37 PM
I have quite a few years of NRA magazines. I randomly grab an issue for the "library". The last one i grabbed was from the year 2014. I had to look at the date because the ammo shortage articles were identical to today's.

LOL. You can probably go back to the 2000 or so time frame for the same kind of articles. Or 1999 and the Y2K preppers.

GaCop
03-27-2021, 08:51 AM
I saw a notice from Winchester that they are increasing ther prices 10% to 15% on ammunition and components starting in may. Hell, I haven't seen anything from Winchester for quite some time here in middle Georgia.

PhilC
03-27-2021, 11:40 AM
Saw the same yesterday, Winchester primers are going up 25%. Article posted here (https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/winchester-announces-price-increases-for-ammo-including-backorders/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20210326_FridayDigest_323&utm_campaign=/digest/winchester-announces-price-increases-for-ammo-including-backorders/)

yobuck
03-27-2021, 03:53 PM
I have quite a few years of NRA magazines. I randomly grab an issue for the "library". The last one i grabbed was from the year 2014. I had to look at the date because the ammo shortage articles were identical to today's.
Absolutely, im not about to give lunch bucket Joe a free pass on anything, but no doubt at least some of this is caused by our friends.
And no doubt some in order to get higher prices as well by the retailers.
Oil companies know full well whats in store for them, and no doubt that trickles down to other things as well.
I just paid 80 cents more per gallon of gas than i did when Joe took office, and for sure thats far from over.
And that affects those buying home heating oil as well.

Mr.Snerdly
03-27-2021, 10:20 PM
Absolutely, im not about to give lunch bucket Joe a free pass on anything, but no doubt at least some of this is caused by our friends.
And no doubt some in order to get higher prices as well by the retailers.
Oil companies know full well whats in store for them, and no doubt that trickles down to other things as well.
I just paid 80 cents more per gallon of gas than i did when Joe took office, and for sure thats far from over.
And that affects those buying home heating oil as well.

Diesel fuel has been going up a lot too. Hard to tell where it will be in the summer.

Fuj'
03-28-2021, 08:35 AM
Another little blip that could cause some shortage pain.....
Anybody been following the Suez Canal blockage ??

yobuck
03-28-2021, 09:06 AM
Another little blip that could cause some shortage pain.....
Anybody been following the Suez Canal blockage ??
That was a temporary thing no doubt caused by some type of malfunction.
There is alot of talk about cost involved due to shipping delays.
Much of that no doubt by our good friends in the media attempting to get our attention shifted elsewhere for a few days.

PhilC
03-28-2021, 11:05 AM
I expect price of gas to be at least $4 by summer, here it jumped from $2.49 to $3.09 since election.

daved20319
03-28-2021, 11:25 AM
If you are shorthanded then you have not been paying attention. After the first primer shortages in the 90's I learned my lesson. I have a 10 year supply at least of everything. And that is shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns every weekend. I still have primers that I paid $9.99 for. I will shoot them up in the next few weeks. Still have close to 5K old AA hulls I have not even got to yet. Let alone the 10K remington sts hulls. Or the 55g baof 9mm and 55g barrel of 556 brass.

There is only a shortage if you let it happen to yourself.

Which begs the question, how much is enough? Frankly, my inclination is to say shame on you for hoarding, then being self-righteous about it, and looking down on folks that don't behave the same way. And despite your stock pile, I suspect you'd still snatch up any primers or other components you could get your hands on tomorrow. These shortages are cyclic, they happen around every Presidential election, regardless of who's running. This one seems a good deal worse than most, not sure why, but I'm sure that the hoarders and profiteers are contributing to the problem.

Personally, I see a 1 year stock as reasonable, 2 years at the outside, and then only stuff that you'll actually use. There are folks that will buy ANYTHING they can get their hands on, regardless of whether they actually have a need for it. Not only is that wrong, it's a disservice to the rest of us. We don't all have the resources or the storage space for "shortage-proof" stockpiles, and blaming folks for that is uncalled for at best, not to mention downright rude.

Flame away, I'm sure this is NOT going to be a popular response, but someone needed to say it. Later.

Dave

charlie b
03-28-2021, 08:12 PM
While it is common to think that way, the profiteers are free to exercise their right as well. Non-gun people buying up items that can be resold for 100-400% markup is just 'good' business. I don't like it but there is really nothing wrong with it.

What is different about this shortage? It was caused by a pandemic that made people fear the breakdown in government services, during a republican administration. I thought things were slowing down a bit before the election but has picked back up again due to the 'regular' fears of a democratic administration implementing more gun laws. I think it will slow down a bit as time goes on.

Personally I believe that laws will be tightened on things like 'pistols' that are really short barrel rifles/shotguns and the rules on 80% (or whatever the number is these days) receivers and the definition of a firearm mfg. I also think the most reaching thing 'they' might accomplish is to regulate private gun transactions.

Orezona
03-28-2021, 10:09 PM
Well said Charlie B.

tomme boy
03-30-2021, 01:00 AM
Which begs the question, how much is enough? Frankly, my inclination is to say shame on you for hoarding, then being self-righteous about it, and looking down on folks that don't behave the same way. And despite your stock pile, I suspect you'd still snatch up any primers or other components you could get your hands on tomorrow. These shortages are cyclic, they happen around every Presidential election, regardless of who's running. This one seems a good deal worse than most, not sure why, but I'm sure that the hoarders and profiteers are contributing to the problem.

Personally, I see a 1 year stock as reasonable, 2 years at the outside, and then only stuff that you'll actually use. There are folks that will buy ANYTHING they can get their hands on, regardless of whether they actually have a need for it. Not only is that wrong, it's a disservice to the rest of us. We don't all have the resources or the storage space for "shortage-proof" stockpiles, and blaming folks for that is uncalled for at best, not to mention downright rude.

Flame away, I'm sure this is NOT going to be a popular response, but someone needed to say it. Later.

Dave
Nope. Have not bought anything since last summer. Going to have to be at or lower than last year for me to buy right now. I have sold 10K primers to friends already. AT last year pre stupid people price of 28$/1k. I will help other people I know if I like them. I have enough supplies o last me well beyond my death. I have 2 years of food stored up. It that hoarding too?

Orezona
03-30-2021, 10:41 AM
I have 2 years of food stored up. It that hoarding too?

Depends on how old your are! :crutch::peace:

Evlshnngns
03-30-2021, 04:40 PM
Head honcho at the gun range was optimistic for this summers ammo/component availability. Hopefully Remington/vista starts putting out primers.