PDA

View Full Version : AICS stock/chassis replacement with Bottom Bolt Release

RyuQD
03-23-2021, 12:33 PM
Hello there. New guy here with his first ever Bolt gun (shot plenty but first time I’ve actually owned my own). I personally hate to keep anything bone stock (pun intended) and while i love my 110 Hog Hunter in 308, the stock and mag are absolutely horrible (from a “tactical” firearm guy). Part of the reason i went with the Savage 110 platform was because of the aftermarket support and ability to switch out to a new stock/chassis. While this rifle is for blind hunting only, I do have lots of hogs on my lease and may actually shoot more than 4 times so the ability to have more rounds and/or quickly change mags is a necessity.

I have been hoping that Magpul would release their Hunter stock for the 110 but I’ve also been eyeing the MDT XRS Hybrid Chassis. The only issue I’ve seen with both of these (and caused because i didn’t know what i didn’t know) is that the Hog hunt is a BBR rifle and frankly, to my eye, even though they say the support both, i don’t see how a bottom metal conversion to a AICS mag can work with the BBR. I’ve seen some guys on here that appear to have a BBR like mine and was wondering if you guys could school a new to bolt and 110 platform dude. Pictures would be greatly appreciated as my brain has been melted due to work.

Thanks
QD

Kev1Doggy
03-26-2021, 06:53 AM
My MDT chassis has a slot in the right side that you release the trigger with a small screwdriver or whatever, it works fine for me!

RyuQD
03-26-2021, 10:11 PM
Kev thanks for your reply, do you happen to have any photos showing that? And which chassis are you running?

Kev1Doggy
03-27-2021, 08:29 AM
I have the ESS, search youtube for MDT chassis stocks and they have a tutorial on it.

geezerhood
03-27-2021, 06:53 PM
My MDT chassis has a slot in the right side that you release the trigger with a small screwdriver or whatever, it works fine for me!

I suppose you could drill a hole in just about any top release style stock to allow access to the bottom release tab if you wanted to put a BBR action in it. Something to consider if one had a mismatched stock / action combination, though I would prefer to not have to use a tool to release my bolt.

CFJunkie
03-28-2021, 07:51 AM
I have two Oryx chassis with AICS mags ($400) that also have the slot to accommodate the bottom bolt release.
I verified that the slot works with bottom bolt releases even though I bought both of them for 12 FV rifles meant for the bench.
The stiffer chassis also reduced my bench group sizes by about 10%.

The downside is that an aluminum chassis is heavy and not great for carrying in the field.

alex.ink38
01-05-2022, 08:48 PM
Hi everyone, I am in exactly the same situation and looking for the answer to the same question.

I searched this forum and found this thread (https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/savage-110-hog-hunter-in-oryx-chassis-vortex-viper-6-5-20x44-scope-apache-hardcase.403866/) where a member was selling HH in MDT Oryx chassis, so that slot is certainly an option. Curious, if stock required any modifications

Its the need for heavy modifications (from what I've read and seen on YouTube) that keeps me away from ordering Boyds At-One stock (Savage / 110 Tactical / Short Action, Dbm, Aics Mag, Heavy Barrel) + PTG Trigger Guard Assembly (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004703719)

Both options are roughly the same around $400. I am waiting if Magpul will actually perform a miracle and deliver on its second promise to get Magpul Hunter 110 released in (early/middle/late) 2022. Most likely, it will have the same solution for BBR as Oryx chassis, but it may just be the most affordable stock for this upgrade.