PDA

View Full Version : So what exactly is the difference between a Remage and Savage pre fit barrel??

geneackley
03-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Forgive the newby dumb question here, but I am looking for a barrel that I can readily screw onto my new Nucleus action until the original barrel I ordered comes in...

Looking around, I have come across a "REMAGE" that sounds about right, but I don't want to buy it without first being sure if it will work for me.

Thanks

Gene

olddav
03-18-2021, 10:51 PM
Different threads, I fo not believe they are interchangeable.

geneackley
03-18-2021, 11:29 PM
Different threads, I fo not believe they are interchangeable.

Good to know!!! That would have been a real bummer!!! ha ha ! Thanks

Robinhood
03-18-2021, 11:41 PM
A Remage prefit is a barrel that has the threads cut to fit a Remington, 1 1/16= 16, and utilizes a barrel nut cut for the same.
A Savage prefit is a barrel precut to fit the Savage threads, either 1 1/16 -20 or 1 1/8 -20.

The Barrel Nut allows the end user to set the headspace rather than relying on a gunsmith.

geneackley
03-21-2021, 12:48 PM
A Remage prefit is a barrel that has the threads cut to fit a Remington, 1 1/16= 16, and utilizes a barrel nut cut for the same.
A Savage prefit is a barrel precut to fit the Savage threads, either 1 1/16 -20 or 1 1/8 -20.

The Barrel Nut allows the end user to set the headspace rather than relying on a gunsmith.

Understood. I just didnt know that they actually had different threads. Thanks.

want2ride
03-21-2021, 01:44 PM
Understood. I just didnt know that they actually had different threads. Thanks.my brother does a lot of match shooting and he always keeps a remage barrel and nut on hand for a backup for his match rifles since he can just throw it on any of them and headspace it himself in a pinch. It has the Remington threads because it is what his Lone Peak, Defiance and Terminus actions all use. Normally he has a gunsmith do his regular barrels, but it isn't always convenient to get it done.
I have a couple Bighorn/Zermatt actions and they use Savage threads, so i can use my Shilen and Proof Research barrels that are threaded for Savage in either them or my Savages with a barrel nut. Big Horn/Zermatt isn't the only action that has made actions with Savage threads, but the others don't seem to do it as a standard choice. I believe ARC made a run of Savage threaded actions, but not positive. I went with the Bighorn/zermatt actions because of the cross compatibility... and i don't compete.

yobuck
03-21-2021, 03:04 PM
my brother does a lot of match shooting and he always keeps a remage barrel and nut on hand for a backup for his match rifles since he can just throw it on any of them and headspace it himself in a pinch. It has the Remington threads because it is what his Lone Peak, Defiance and Terminus actions all use. Normally he has a gunsmith do his regular barrels, but it isn't always convenient to get it done.
I have a couple Bighorn/Zermatt actions and they use Savage threads, so i can use my Shilen and Proof Research barrels that are threaded for Savage in either them or my Savages with a barrel nut. Big Horn/Zermatt isn't the only action that has made actions with Savage threads, but the others don't seem to do it as a standard choice. I believe ARC made a run of Savage threaded actions, but not positive. I went with the Bighorn/zermatt actions because of the cross compatibility... and i don't compete.
I believe the Terminus actions state that they are from Harrisburg Pa.
As your brother if he has ever been to their facility in Harrisburg Pa.

want2ride
03-21-2021, 03:57 PM
I believe the Terminus actions state that they are from Harrisburg Pa.
As your brother if he has ever been to their facility in Harrisburg Pa.
He lives out west, it has been many many years since he has been that far east.