PDA

View Full Version : AR magazine in bolt action.

Yellconate
03-17-2021, 10:18 AM
Any reason why an ar15 magazine can't be made to work with a model 10 short action. Set up a 458 bolt gun and need a reliable bullet feeding setup. The factory blind mags aren't cutting it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Stumpkiller
03-17-2021, 10:36 AM
No reason you couldn't. Though you'll either have to design a fitting for the magazine or come up with a new floor plate and catch system for the rifle.

The magazine I use in my Model 11 is a military G3 (HK91) with a top sleeve that fills the well (made by Snyder Magazines)

I recommend you check out Snyder Magazines (he's a member here) before you strike out on your own. Then you'd just have to come up with a new "bottom metal" floor plate. Unless you really want the added capacity of AR magazines. I don't know if he could cobble up a .458 Socom feed. I know he was working on a .350 Legend version.

https://www.snydermags.com/

Whynot
03-17-2021, 05:05 PM
Mossberg does it with the MVP rifle... they take AR mags. But they also had to do some modifying to the bolt..... the bottom of the bolt face has a cut that lets it hang down lower to strip the next round. And then as the bolt is closed it pops up into position. I think that it was skipping over rounds before they did this--

big honkin jeep
03-17-2021, 07:42 PM
I saw a project once where a guy cut up an AR lower and epoxyd it in so his would take standard AR mags.

JeepsAndGuns
03-18-2021, 12:29 PM
I toyed with the idea of buying or building a bolt rifle to take AR mags. I thought it was a pretty neat idea.
However the rifles on the market that used AR mags did not exactly fit what I was wanting, and making a bolt rifle feed from AR mags seemed like a pain. Not to mention you are limited on COL.
In the end I decided to use AICS style mags and built the rifle around that (really just took a already built rifle and converted it to 223). I am using 10 round MDT AICS 223 mags.
In the end I am happy. I can load longer than spec (I forgot just how far) and while I am limited to 10 rounds, all I do it bench shooting anyways so it is no big deal. A 30 round mag would be a pain to shoot from the bench anyways.

CAPT BEACH
03-18-2021, 12:53 PM
Ruger American Predator in .223 runs AR mags, comes in 16" and 22" threaded barrel, retails around $500-$575 new, used $375-$450