PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12FV 204 Ruger - Blind Mag to Detachable Mag

ChrisAU
03-16-2021, 04:49 PM
I bought a heavy barrel 12FV a few weeks ago in 204 Ruger on a whim. Had it threaded for my suppressor, put it in a Boyds Spike Camp, took it on one Coyote hunt, and decided it was way too front heavy (and justy heavy) to hunt with. Because I like to burn money, I sent it to Karl Kampfeld for a diet. He is doing a very fast and deep spiral flute that should remove a ton of weight and then cerakoting the barrel and action Tungsten. I have a titanium bolt handle with carbon fiber bolt knob on the way from Lumley, and when I get it the entire bolt assembly will go to the Polished Knob for fluting and armor black cerakote.

I hate that it has a blind mag, the little bitty 204 Ruger cartridges are a pain to load. So, since I'm diving in, I want to replace the stock with something I can do a detachable mag. I think I want to get a Bell & Carlson M40 in Black w/ Gray web.

I assume I'll then just need a 223/204 magazine and the bottom plate? Is calling Savage the best place to get those I guess?

Maybe different length action screws? I have a metal trigger guard on hand.

Here is a pic of the pig before she went on a diet, and it had a donor scope on it here, not sure what I'll go with now.

https://i.imgur.com/fmSwKbB.jpg

ChrisAU
03-16-2021, 07:08 PM
Or, has anyone used the accurate mag DBM on a B&C? AICS mags would be nice.

ChrisAU
03-17-2021, 11:24 AM
Well, for anyone keeping up with it, I wound up ordering a Bell & Carlson 1014-22 with a custom LOP. Got a new trigger guard and bottom "metal" (plastic) from E Arthur Brown, and a magazine and some Talley LW's from SWFA. Found a Burris 4.5-14x42 MTAC to go on it, I like to keep all MILs in my scopes and this is one of the lightest options I could find. Will post a pic when I get it all put together.

ChrisAU
04-22-2021, 06:50 PM
All put together. After Ti bolt handle and the fluting it lost 1 lb 1 oz. Considering sending the bolt off for fluting and cerakote to match. Not sure yet.

https://i.imgur.com/v5XDXSA.jpg

ice tea
04-23-2021, 08:43 PM
well chris, it looks fancy, i'll say that. it makes the stock look boring. maybe one of them verigated multicolored stocks would add too it. i almost got dizzy for a second while looking at it. not sure if it reminds me more of a corkscrew, or one of them twisted bar spoons for mixing cocktails. either case, some drinks and a game of pool sounds good. i imagine your wallet is about a lb. lighter too, sorry. i know nothing about dbm's

GaCop
04-24-2021, 06:53 AM
How does it shoot with the new mods?