PDA

View Full Version : Kinda silly how consistently accurate factory Savage barrels are these days

Pages : 1 [2]

Newtosavage
03-18-2021, 08:41 PM
Sat next to a guy at a local range in Va a few years back shooting my $575 truck axle .308 Savage, I mean I had $575 in the whole rig, used barrel, traded long action, traded used stock and the most expensive pc on the whole gun was the SWFA optic, also used...shooting 175gr SMK into one ragged hole at 100 and a golf ball sized 5 round group at 200...the guy next to me shooting an easily $2500-3000 rifle with a $2000 Night Force in .308 as well...hitting fist sized 5 round groups at 100 and chest at 200...He came over, scratched his head and asked...what am I doing wrong? Ammo for one...your shooting cheap ass ammo in a Ferrari rifle, I gave him a box of my hand loads....OHHHH NOOO I cant shoot reloads in this rifle...OK...I took them back...sent him in to buy some FGMM...same thing... still cant hit...here...you shoot it...so I settle in behind his $5000 rifle and PRESTO...thumb nails sized groups at 100...well imagine that...spent the next 2 hours walking him thru marksmanship and anything I could squeeze in...last thing I said to him was...you know the biggest differnece between your gun and mine besides price? NO...he said...so I took mine,,,laid it on the gravel and stepped on it...then stood on it...now do that with yours...

LOL yup.

big honkin jeep
03-18-2021, 09:08 PM
big honkin jeep, Yes you could buy a LH Model 16/116 sporter barreled rifle with a stainless action. But not on a LH Model 12 FLVSS like the ones I have. They came with blued actions and fluted stainless barrels.

Maybe the model 12s with the big fatty barrels didn't come in stainless, but those two i posted pics of aren't "sporter " contours on either. The RUM is a magnum contour and the -06 is a "medium heavy" contour with fluting. The 116ss with the sporter barrels are tapered behind the brake.

DQL5150
03-19-2021, 06:42 AM
My lefthand 12 VLP (2007 ish) has a stainless action and fluted stainless barrel. Zero complaints with the factory barrel.