PDA

View Full Version : Short action magnum action to 284 win

Hound
03-12-2021, 01:18 PM
Hello , I just picked up a new savage short action large shank magnum action. I've been thinking of what to build off of it, and the 284 winchester has caught my interest.Im thinking 139-150 grain bullets, so short action would work fine. What all would need to change , I know the bolt head and magazine. I've been " searching " and have come up with 10,000 things , all different it seems..lol.
If it's more trouble then necessary, any one have a good suggestion for caliber.
Thanks all
Ed

Phreddie30.06
03-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Welcome from colorful Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fuj'
03-13-2021, 07:50 AM
If it's more trouble then necessary, any one have a good suggestion for caliber.
Thanks all Ed

You'll be good to go with the 7mm Sherman. Some of the guy's
I know dropped the straight .284 in favor of this cartridge.
Notably, Robin Ardoin shooting this cartridge for the first time
after stepping away from the .284, won his high master in 1000
yard F-Class. He likes it so much he sold me all his .284 brass
for my creations.

J.Baker
03-13-2021, 09:49 PM
Hello , I just picked up a new savage short action large shank magnum action. I've been thinking of what to build off of it, and the 284 winchester has caught my interest.Im thinking 139-150 grain bullets, so short action would work fine. What all would need to change , I know the bolt head and magazine. I've been " searching " and have come up with 10,000 things , all different it seems..lol.
Thanks all
Ed

New to you action or new-new?

IIRC the centerfeed short-mag actions have a unique firing pin assembly and front baffle as Savage made the lugs on the short-mag bolt heads thicker when they dumped the CRF staggered-feed setup. (from 1/2" to 9/16").