PDA

View Full Version : Your impressions or experiences with the 280 Ackley Improved?

geneackley
03-06-2021, 08:06 PM
Hello there!

I have just embarked on building a 280 AI rifle and I was curious as to what kind of feedback I might get from those who have actually owned one.

Did you have issues fire-forming 280 to 280 AI?

What twist rates did your barrels have?

I would love to hear anything you could tell me since I have never owned or even handled the caliber.

I was going to build a gun from a Savage 110 action, but wound up ordering a Nucleus action due to the superior Mauser controlled feed and the Remington 700 footprint that gave me a wider choice of stocks.

I ordered an Xcaliber barrel, 1:8 twist, 5R rifling. 24 inch, threaded muzzle, 416 R steel, target contour. Going to get a KRG Bravo stock for it... AIC mags. TriggerTech trigger.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys and your experiences.

Thanks.

scooterf79
03-22-2021, 09:47 PM
Lets see....
In a word.... AWESOME!!

I have a Criterion 24in Light varmint 1:9 twist. It's on a Savage 110 action. I really like mine, and it shoots lights out, with what little I've shot it so far.

I've got a good load with 140gr Sierra GK with IMR 4831. It runs in the 3100fps range. I use Nosler 280AI brass so no fireforming needed. I've a couple 160ish grain bullets(eld-x and Sierra game changer) I'm wanting to try as well. I'd really like to make it my dedicated long range deer rifle, as it's a little heavier than I'd planned.
Good luck and enjoy!
Scooter

geneackley
03-23-2021, 04:09 AM
Lets see....
In a word.... AWESOME!!

I have a Criterion 24in Light varmint 1:9 twist. It's on a Savage 110 action. I really like mine, and it shoots lights out, with what little I've shot it so far.

I've got a good load with 140gr Sierra GK with IMR 4831. It runs in the 3100fps range. I use Nosler 280AI brass so no fireforming needed. I've a couple 160ish grain bullets(eld-x and Sierra game changer) I'm wanting to try as well. I'd really like to make it my dedicated long range deer rifle, as it's a little heavier than I'd planned.
Good luck and enjoy!
Scooter

Thanks Scooter!!!

Unfortunately my barrel wont be delivered for another 4 months or so... So I decided in the meantime to just buy a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to be able to enjoy my new gun until then. Yes, I know its a short action caliber, but it was the only thing that I could find and afford in these trying times of shortages. ALSO, being a pre-fit barrel gun, its nice to have an extra barrel in another caliber if I ever need it; Options are always good.

By the way, it just so happens that I just put the gun together this very evening!!! I really do like it a lot but I am having a small issue getting my long action plastic Magpul AIC pattern mags to reliably "stick" when I shove them up into the receiver... But I am betting a file can fix that problem easily in the morning. Its almost 3 am in Texas... but I was too wound up after finishing the gun to go to bed right away. But I am recently retired, so I can go to bed anytime!!!! ha ha ha !

My scope will be here from Midway this Wednesday so I see myself zeroing the new gun this coming Thursday if the weather is not crap.

Will let you know how it goes. But what will truly be exciting will be the arrival of the 280 AI barrel and the dies. That's what it was really all about... I already have two 6.5 Creedmoors... three as of tonight. 4 if you count an extra upper for my AR 10....Yeah,,, I really need that 280 AI !!! ha ha ha.

By the way, I would love the details on your load for me to try!!! Thanks

Goodnight!!!

DC1986
04-09-2021, 08:56 AM
It’s an awesome caliber. I had a 280 AI built by APR rifles last year. Defiance Tenacity action, AG Composites stock, Jewell trigger, Muller sendero barrel with a 1-8 twist and threaded, and a Swarovski Z5 with BT on top. Shoots hand loaded 140 Accubonds very well. I bought lots of Nosler 280AI brass before all the craziness started.