PDA

View Full Version : Maxed out scope elevation at zero

Kyle11
03-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Just a quick observation, I put a scope on a 20 moa rail with a total scope elevation adjustment of 45 moa. I maxed scope adjustment at a 100 yard zero. It shoots 1-1.25” higher than my aim. Does this make sense? It’s a new scope and I don’t believe it has to do with mfg flaw, although the turret doesn’t reach the 0 line behind the moving turret piece. (Horizontal lines on stationary portion)
-and yes the zero stop is disabled

I will shoot farther than this so it’s not a big deal to me as I’ll just zero at a farther distance, but this is my first encounter of this and I thought I’d share.
If this is abnormal, then I’d like to exchange scopes
6.5 cm for reference

Thanks

hamiltonkiler
03-04-2021, 08:32 PM
Just a quick observation, I put a scope on a 20 moa rail with a total scope elevation adjustment of 45 moa. I maxed scope adjustment at a 100 yard zero. It shoots 1-1.25” higher than my aim. Does this make sense? It’s a new scope and I don’t believe it has to do with mfg flaw, although the turret doesn’t reach the 0 line behind the moving turret piece. (Horizontal lines on stationary portion)
-and yes the zero stop is disabled

I will shoot farther than this so it’s not a big deal to me as I’ll just zero at a farther distance, but this is my first encounter of this and I thought I’d share.
If this is abnormal, then I’d like to exchange scopes
6.5 cm for reference

Thanks

No. Doesn’t make since. What scope?
The back or rear ring should be taller or higher than the front. Canted higher in the back from the rail.
Are the turrets pull and reset? Again what scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celltech
03-04-2021, 08:45 PM
Is the rail on backwards?

Txhillbilly
03-04-2021, 10:14 PM
^^^
Sounds like the rail is on backwards.

ratamahatta
03-05-2021, 09:00 AM
I had the same issue but mine was maxed out low. I ended up calling weaver and they gave me the exact model number for the base I needed.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esavageshooters%2Ecom %2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D65463&share_tid=65463&share_fid=28330&share_type=t&link_source=app

Dog will hunt, dog will hunt.

Kyle11
03-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Athlon Argos btr gen 2 8-34x56
yes scope is pointed down Forwards. The bell is lower than the eyepiece. So my assumption is the reticle is at the highest point in the scope tube. Moving reticle towards bottom of tube adjusts for a longer target. At least that’s what makes sense in my head. I’ll check the elevation travel right now to see if I’m at least close to 45 moa

Kyle11
03-05-2021, 02:41 PM
I actually got 54 moa of total travel from where I was at. 54.25 technically

Kyle11
03-05-2021, 06:03 PM
Talked with customer service, the guy suggests going with a lower ring to get me there. I’m using 1.25” rings from rail valley to center of scope. Scope bell is .52” from standard tapered barrel. I didn’t think this gap was excessive enough to do this, so I may get lower rings or leave it and adjust my distances accordingly. Something to keep in mind if someone does a similar setup with a lower travel value scope. As I believe my vortex scopes have 65 moa adjustment

Robinhood
03-06-2021, 11:28 AM
Try getting optical enter of a scope, then check vertical adjustment from that zero.

cchgn
03-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Try getting optical enter of a scope, then check vertical adjustment from that zero.

I second this. Try to get mechanical ( mirror and boresite) zero and see where that puts it. Btw I have a Tasco 10-40X50 and that dude is dead on and it only has 46 moa movement.

Kyle11
03-13-2021, 08:35 PM
Can someone explain the reasoning and purpose of finding the optical center?

yobuck
03-15-2021, 11:52 AM
Im of the opinion that a scope will track straighter verticly if the windage adjustment is centered, or close to center.
That due to the curvature of the scope tube.
Even though the reticle appears to be centered when looking into the scope, it actually might not be.
Elevation adjustment however is often better if the zero setting allows for more adjustment on the up side allowing for longer shots.
Which is the main reason for using tapered scope bases.
Before tapered scope bases became widely available, you wouldnt get to 1000 yds with a magnum rifle by using just the elevation knob with many scopes.
Some would have the scope base tapered, and others simply just shimmed the rear of it with beverage can shims.
And frankly both methods worked well.
The bases with the windage adjustment like the old Redfield/leupold are still a good choice on most hunting rifles.