PDA

View Full Version : 4 kinds of current production 110 receivers???

Pages : 1 [2]

J.Baker
03-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Just had a good chat with the fine folks at McMillan. They have given up inlets for Savage. At the end they were requiring customers to send them their barreled action because of all the changes. He said there is a desire for a real stock for their new ultralight whatever model they have now with the carbon wrapped barrel. They looked into it but after speaking with Savage engineers they have 14 changes, all undocumented, to that rifle alone. So, there won’t be a stock for that rifle other than the factory noodle at least from the folks in AZ.

McMillan was just blowing smoke up your keister to cover the fact they just don't want to mess with Savage's anymore. There's nothing "unique" about the 110 Ultralight compared to other current 110's that have been produced in recent years. Can't really blame them though for not wanting to mess with Savage's because even absent of the claimed "new" changes, Savage has made so many changes over the years that there are just too many variable to contend with. Combine that with the fact that the vast majority of owners have no clue what they have so they have no clue what they need to specify when ordering.

gbflyer
03-09-2021, 12:20 PM
I've never ben a very big fan of McMillan stocks. Their fiberglass stocks always felt cheap, and their paint jobs look like a 3rd grade art class painted them. Manners makes a much better stock, IMO.

I believe the Savage upper management team is ruining the Savage brand by making all the unwanted / unnecessary changes to the 10 / 110 series. They seem to be trying to keep making changes in order to stop consumer's from being able to modify or assemble their own rifles based on a Savage action.
It will end up costing Savage a lot of future sales in the process.

I wouldn't say that. I've got 8 or 9 Savage based rifles in my safes, as well as have assembled close to a dozen more for friend's and family over the years. While the Aftermarket doesn't support Savage rifles as good as the Remington 700, there are still plenty of choices that will suit the majority of shooter's.
I've got several Savage semi-custom builds that shoot as good if not better than my Custom action builds that cost 2-3 times as much. They just don't look as good.

I had the complete opposite with Manners. I needed a stock with adjustable LOP for growing kids with a Borden inlet which is a Remclone. Real basic stuff. Manners told me to call a gunsmith flat out. Kelly McMillan took my call personally and had his people build it. I’m a faithful customer.

gbflyer
03-09-2021, 12:21 PM
McMillan was just blowing smoke up your keister to cover the fact they just don't want to mess with Savage's anymore. There's nothing "unique" about the 110 Ultralight compared to other current 110's that have been produced in recent years. Can't really blame them though for not wanting to mess with Savage's because even absent of the claimed "new" changes, Savage has made so many changes over the years that there are just too many variable to contend with. Combine that with the fact that the vast majority of owners have no clue what they have so they have no clue what they need to specify when ordering.

Glad to read you have the pulse there at McMillan. [emoji1]

geneackley
03-09-2021, 09:10 PM
So a Nucleus Action was ordered last Saturday;
-By the way, I still haven't heard back from American Rifle Company - A simple email acknowledging the order would have sufficed...but... - Oh well!!.

An Xcaliber, Savage compatible standard shank, 24 inch, 416R, 1:8 twist, 5R target barrel was ordered Sunday;

Barrel nut and wrench were ordered Sunday as well as some Redding dies from Brownells;

A KRG Bravo stock was ordered Monday;

A 280 Ackley specific set of headspace gauges were ordered today;

A TriggerTech SPECIAL trigger and a nucleus specific action wrench were just ordered tonight;

I think that all I need now is a few mags and a muzzle device and I will be set!!!

I will also need patience for the 5 months that I have to wait for my barrel in order to finish this project...

Thank you for your help and good advice.

Gene

shagerott
06-25-2021, 04:41 PM
Haven't been on here for a while Gene. I have a Gen 1.0 Nucleus, thinking like you that more options are out there for stocks and configuration changes in a 700 platform but like the barrel swap options for a Savage tenon.

I also got a 280 AI barrel. Ended up going with a Bell & Carlson M40 stock for now. Magpul magazine plate and magazines, timney trigger.

It is together but I have not been able to get out and test it and see how it does for FP strikes. Bolt movement is smooth and lockup is crisp. I ordered the tool and more springs just in case it has the weak FP strike issue. I did clean off the oil -reading on LRH that any oil in the FP mechanism actuall makes the strike weaker. Hope your project works out - Gen 2.0? right?

efm77
06-28-2021, 10:12 AM
You're not quite 100% correct there TX.

From the get go (1958) through 1988 or 89 the Savage 110 was manufactured in both long and short action versions ( Gen 1 short action with 4.522" screw spacing). From 1989 thru the end of 1997 production everything was built on long actions. In 1998 the Gen 2 short-action (4.275" screw spacing) was introduced and remained in production through late 2007 - early 2008.

In 2005 the current Gen 3 center feed short-action (4.40" screw spacing) was introduced and slowly phased in over the course of the next three years with rifles being chamberedd in .204 Ruger and .223 Rem. being the last to be updated in late 2007/early 2008.

So the only years that all 110's were long actions were 1989-1997.

The large shank came into existence in 2000 or 2001 when Savage started offering the WSM and RSAUM cartridges as factory chamberings, and until the launch of the Target series models in 2008 the only rifles that came with a large shank barrel were chambered in those cartridges (and the 10ML muzzleloaders).

Add to that the RUM's were changed to large shank actions as well. However, some of the first RUM's and WSM's were made on the small shanks. Currently the 375 Ruger models are large shank long actions, as well as the 338 Lapuas. But the Lapuas have other differences as well.

nathantc
06-30-2021, 12:18 AM
there is the
110 long action in small shank
110 long action in large shank

and then the less common 110 long action closed top like i have on my 110 FCP HS Precision in 300 PRC. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in this receiver over the open top large shank receiver. The closed top one like i got here is night and day smoother than the standard one. Much tighter tolerances. Super smooth bolt. Best out of the box savage action i've ever handled. I could be wrong but i think its the target action just milled out for a magazine. Anyway, here is a photo of mine if you never seen/noticed one.
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/cp61y4.jpg

efm77
06-30-2021, 09:01 AM
there is the
110 long action in small shank
110 long action in large shank

and then the less common 110 long action closed top like i have on my 110 FCP HS Precision in 300 PRC. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in this receiver over the open top large shank receiver. The closed top one like i got here is night and day smoother than the standard one. Much tighter tolerances. Super smooth bolt. Best out of the box savage action i've ever handled. I could be wrong but i think its the target action just milled out for a magazine. Anyway, here is a photo of mine if you never seen/noticed one.
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/cp61y4.jpg

It appears they're using the same action for the 300PRC as they are for the 338 Lapuas, just a different size bolt face of course. I have two 338's and they are the closed tops like that one.

nathantc
06-30-2021, 11:11 AM
It appears they're using the same action for the 300PRC as they are for the 338 Lapuas, just a different size bolt face of course. I have two 338's and they are the closed tops like that one.

i'm pretty sure you are correct as when i bought the rifle they guy had the clone of this in 338lp and i got the handle them both side by side. They felt 100% the same, action was the same length and feel. Im just starting out on this build so i have yet to find out if the scope rail is just a standard 110 long action rail, or if the action footprint is the same as a 110 long action. The rifle is HUGE at almost 5' long.
300 PRC cartridge length 93.98
338 Lapua cartridge length 94.50
so the rounds are very similar in length.

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/dtrzx1.jpg

efm77
06-30-2021, 01:37 PM
The action footprint and length is the same as the standard Savage long action. The scope base is the same as well except for larger screws. The standard screws for the Savage are 6-48, where these are 8-40. The rail that comes from the factory appears to be an EGW.

nathantc
06-30-2021, 01:46 PM
correct, larger screws and EGW. That rail will never see an optic on my rifle. I was looking for a direct fit ring/mount system but cannot find one made to the standards i want. So it's going to be replaced with a Badger Ordnance steel rail and a Spuhr mount AFTER I decide on an optic.
Good to know the screw spacing is the same though, as well as the footprint.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/scope-bases/savage/savage-scope-rail-model-110ba-only.html