PDA

View Full Version : Another junk Vortex

Pages : 1 [2]

65Whelen
03-17-2021, 10:34 AM
I havd three rifles all sporting Vortex scopes, Creedmoor bolt, Grendel AR, 22LR bolt. All perform to specifications except the one that fell off the benchrest on to a cement floor and destroyed the windage turret. Sent it back to Vortex had it returned to me in five business days, go to go, no questions asked.

Txhillbilly
03-17-2021, 11:33 AM
They all make junk. Heck I have a 44mag Simmons 6×20 with target turrets I would put up against most scopes made today for the glass.

That right there really made me laugh!:rofl:

tomme boy
03-17-2021, 01:04 PM
That right there really made me laugh!:rofl:
What is sad it is the truth. Most scopes made after 2000ish have better glass than 90% of the stuff made today. Called Chinese junk. These had Japanese glass.

geneackley
03-18-2021, 02:29 PM
I have a 6-20 gen 1 viper and has been on over 6 rifles since new and is perfect. Just bought a new 1-6 30mm Bushnell Ar Optics and it died after less than 100 rounds of cast bullet loads in 350 legend. The load was 9gr Unique under a 200gr bullet. A super fast speed of 1350. On a bolt action with a muzzle break. It has less recoil than a ar15 in 223

They all make junk. Heck I have a 44mag Simmons 6×20 with target turrets I would put up against most scopes made today for the glass.

This is absolutely true!!!!

BUT IT IS ALSO TRUE that SOME COMPANIES are inevitably going to be more consistent at MAKING JUNK then others... And unfortunately I put VORTEX in that bunch!

In the end its all about betting your hard earned money where you are comfortable spending it; Its a personal choice based on TRUST, and TRUST is based on history... and Vortex has a spotty history; Simple as that - for me!!

yobuck
03-19-2021, 09:15 AM
The Chinese are in fact capable of turning out some good stuff including optics.
But when you start out looking for cheap, it should come as no surprise to get cheap.
Sometimes it works, at least well enough, but should we really be trying to compare them with others?
Very few if any of even the large optics companies dont make their own glass.
Same as even the largest home builders dont grow their own lumber.
Every piece of lumber coming from the same tree isnt of the same quality.
Nor is every piece of glass made in the same factory.
It will be separated as for grade quality same as lumber is.
And as a vender you can place an order for whichever grade you wish.
But of coarse there are lumber yards and there are box stores that sell lumber.

geneackley
03-19-2021, 12:03 PM
The Chinese are in fact capable of turning out some good stuff including optics.
But when you start out looking for cheap, it should come as no surprise to get cheap.
Sometimes it works, at least well enough, but should we really be trying to compare them with others?
Very few if any of even the large optics companies dont make their own glass.
Same as even the largest home builders dont grow their own lumber.
Every piece of lumber coming from the same tree isnt of the same quality.
Nor is every piece of glass made in the same factory.
It will be separated as for grade quality same as lumber is.
And as a vender you can place an order for whichever grade you wish.
But of coarse there are lumber yards and there are box stores that sell lumber.

There is no doubt that the Chinese have the capacity of making fine optical glass should they desire to....
But Vortex is in the business of selling as many scopes as they can, to as many naive Americans as will buy them, for as great a profit as they can make.

yobuck
03-19-2021, 12:21 PM
My point was that scope builders like home builders are attempting to reach a certain portion of the market place with their product.
Much of the cost of operating any business is fixed, meaning it cant be lowered, so whats left that can be?

MtnOak
02-06-2022, 11:36 PM
I’ve got a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 on a 7mm stw that I’m worried has been a big part of poor grouping , I’m putting a leupold vx3 4.5x14x40 on it this week, may get to shoot it in a couple weeks and see if there’s a difference….

wbm
02-07-2022, 07:00 AM
I’m putting a leupold vx3 4.5x14x40 on it this week

+1

Ernest T
07-24-2022, 10:34 PM
I've got two Vortex scopes, a Strike Eagle on a Colt M-4 and a Crossfire on a Tippman M4-22. Both sub $300 scopes and both perfectly functional in their intended roles and both with a lifetime guarantee. They have a scope for every budget, if not every expectation.