PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 FV 6.5 CM barrel machine marks

charliephoo
03-01-2021, 12:46 PM
I've been shooting savage 12fv 6.5cm over a year now. It's very accurate. I was curious about the rifling and took a look the barrel bore yesterday and found a lot of machine marks. I compare with my new x-caliber which is very smooth. I don't understand why 12fv shoots so well with those marks.
https://flic.kr/p/2kG4zxc

celltech
03-01-2021, 12:53 PM
Those are chatter marks from the carbide button being run through the barrel, and pretty typical of a Savage. X-Cal barrels are also rifled with a button, but are lapped afterwards to smooth all of that out. As you have stated your 12FV is very accurate. The bore drilling and chamber alignment are far more important than those chatter marks. All else being equal the chattering will just make it collect more copper...

Txhillbilly
03-01-2021, 02:14 PM
Most firearm companies would go bankrupt if the buyer's of their guns used a bore scope on the barrel's before they bought the gun. Unless the barrel's are lapped after being button rifled, they all look like wash boards and have machining marks throughout the bore.

charlie b
03-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Those of us who have fired old muzzle loaders or military surplus stuff are used to the 'sewer pipe' look. Frequently they will shoot surprisingly well.

The only real problem with them is they are harder to clean. Good copper and powder solvents are useful.

hamiltonkiler
03-01-2021, 11:03 PM
My barrel looks like the moons surface.

Savage has a still solid barrel to action love.
The bolt design push locks the cartridge in the chamber. The chamber in a savage is designed well.

The FV is pillar bedded and the barrel is long and heavy.
Triggers not bad either.

Have fun making expensive rigs not look so cool.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas10
03-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Amazingly accurate, especially when you take into account the low initial cost.

A couple of fellow Savage owners shooting 6.5 CM where disappointed that their beloved Creedmoors weren’t grouping like they used to. I offered to take a look and found action screws had worked loose . I tightened them and then torque tuned the rear action screw, putting them back into 1/2 MOA groups at 300 yds.

Needless to say they were quite pleased!

Woopig
03-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Found replies very humorous and true. Keep up the good work!

mnbogboy2
03-11-2021, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the world of cheap (Teslong) bore cameras and rugged Savage barrels.