PDA

View Full Version : Msr10 hunter 308

BBS70
02-28-2021, 11:22 PM
Just got my msr 10 308 hunter a few days ago and have only put about 10 or 12 rounds through it so far.
I love this thing.
Anyway, I also have a 308 hog hunter and have developed some damn accurate rounds for it using Varget

My question is would my Varget rounds be as accurate in my AR as in my hog hunter
Or would a different powder be better

Yes I know , try them out & see, and normally you would be correct

Thats what I would normally do, except with primers going for $200 and up a thousand & bullets more scarce that anything I've ever seen
I don't want to waste components on testing unless they have potential.

Accuracy above anything else.

GaCop
03-01-2021, 08:30 AM
Your pretty much answered your own question. No way to know unless you try a few in the MSR. Looking at a load manual, are your Varget charges for the Hog Hunter safe for an AR-10 type platform? if so, test 5 or 10 rounds to get a general idea of the accuracy. Varget should work well in both platforms. Will the OAL of the Hog Hunter loads fit the MSR mag? If so your good to go.

charlie b
03-01-2021, 10:01 AM
Every barrel is different. Even on the same model of rifle. If you are looking for that 0.25" bug hole, then probably not. But, if 1/2 to 1" is ok then it might work fine. That is why the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo works in so many different rifles.

So, yes, try it and see. 5 rounds won't break the bank.

BBS70
03-01-2021, 10:03 AM
I use several load manuals and usually load lower than recommended as max loads
Don't know of any hog hunter or msr specific loads.
MSR has an adjustable gas block, something I've never dealt with before, so I'm guessing about most loads can be used by adjusting the gas block.

GaCop
03-03-2021, 09:07 AM
MSR has an adjustable gas block, something I've never dealt with before, so I'm guessing about most loads can be used by adjusting the gas block.:thumb: you got it.

J.Baker
03-03-2021, 07:44 PM
MSR has an adjustable gas block, something I've never dealt with before, so I'm guessing about most loads can be used by adjusting the gas block.

Manual outlines how to properly tune your gas system with the adjustable gas block. It's not really used to "tune" to a load, unless your between loads with drastically different velocities/pressures. Basically you keep adjusting it down until it fails to cycle, then add one or two clicks back in. This ensures you are getting sufficient gas to cycle the bolt without over gassing and putting undue stress on the bolt and upper receiver. Having it adjusted properly will also lessen recoil to help you stay on target for successive shots.

flowj
04-01-2021, 01:26 PM
I have a Target grade AR10 in 260 Rem. I also shoot bolt gun 260. Let me say Apples & Oranges! The only thing that is the same between them is the bullet and brass. My bolt gun likes a stiff load of H4350 behind a 140 gr bullet. The Armalite will rip the rims off and swipe your brass with anything close to the same load. If I powder down the load by about 300 fps. it will shoot sub moa but still do some swiping. I will not shoot my Lapua brass in the AR. It gets fed Remington. I've tried Varget with the 140's and 120 Sierra Match Kings but accuracy is not good. I have install an AGB but it seems not to improve things much. I'm sure a lot of the problem is burn rate and timing. H4350 I think is to slow for a gas gun. When I ask for help online most everyone jumped in with what they shoot in there bolt guns. Again Apples & Oranges. I know what a bolt gun likes. I have one. I have gave up for now. I am dialed in with the dope for my bolt gun and shoot long with it. 300 less fps in the AR is just no fun. If you figure it out please post. I could use some pointers too.

Alleycat72
04-01-2021, 07:59 PM
Mine is crazy accurate with 130ttsx and 125 BT with H335.