PDA

View Full Version : barrel chambers

Gary Jordan
02-25-2021, 12:59 PM
Hello all,
I was just reading a web article talking about barrel chambers-match chambers and standard sporting chambers--what is the difference between the two ?
Our Scout Camp has several Mark I FVP's-which would they have ?

Robinhood
02-25-2021, 10:31 PM
Aren't those rim fire rifles?

J.Baker
02-25-2021, 10:37 PM
Aren't those rim fire rifles?

Yep, which is probably why he posted this in the rimfire board. :becky:

Robinhood
02-25-2021, 10:42 PM
Yep, which is probably why he posted this in the rimfire board. :becky:

OK OK. I never knew a Savage to have a match rim fire chamber.

J.Baker
02-25-2021, 10:46 PM
Hello all,
I was just reading a web article talking about barrel chambers-match chambers and standard sporting chambers--what is the difference between the two ?
Our Scout Camp has several Mark I FVP's-which would they have ?

The difference between the two is simply that the match chamber has tighter tolerances all around allowing for less "wiggle room" in the chamber for the cartridge. The benefit is typically better accuracy due to better cartridge to bore alignment, but the downside is that a tighter chamber can make a rifle more fickle when it comes to feeding and extracting.

According to Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply, the Savage 22LR chambers are closer to a match chamber than they are the standard sporting chamber. This is why often times shooters eventually end up having extraction issues down the road with Savage rimfires as fouling builds up in the front of the chamber causing cases to stick more easily due to tighter clearances. He's found that hand reaming the chamber with a standard (non match) reamer is the best solution to fixing the extraction issue, but could come at the expense of a small degree of accuracy being lost. So it kind of boils down to which is more important to you, accuracy or reliability.

Of course if you do a consistently good job of keeping your chamber and the extractor slots clean you wouldn't have to choose.

Robinhood
02-25-2021, 10:49 PM
Good stuff, going back to the 110 section now.

Fasteddie01
02-26-2021, 11:53 AM
Thanks to J. for the added chamber info. I just wanted to add that I've found Boretech C-4 Carbon Solvent very good for removing 'Carbon Ring' and throughout the barrel too. Lots of carbon remaining in barrels that were 'clean' and C-4 may remove the need to 'brush often'.