PDA

View Full Version : 165 grain barns tsx in 300sav, it's all I could aquire during these trying times

Natospec
02-23-2021, 12:52 AM
I've come about 100 barns tsx lead free 165 grain bullets from basspro, they are the only place I could find that had any lead free in stock, as I've run out of Hornady gmx bullets and still have 300 sav cases and 2 lbs of imr 4895, can anyone think of a safe, middle velocity round for white tail deer for 300 sav with these heavier bullets? I don't even know where to start. I usually load a 165 grain bullet in 308win with 41.5 grains of imr 4895 but I'm sure that will mess up my Savage 99.
Questions, can I even use 165 grain bullets in 300 savage? Or should I just pull the other 35 or so loaded 150 grain 30-06 rounds and continue to load them as 300 sav with 38.6 grains of 4895? If I can use the 165's should I just load them light, around 37 grains and give them a shot? I'm not trying to pull every ounce of accuracy I can out of this rifle, it's an rs series rifle with the redfield aperature sight on it and my eyes aren't 1moa accurate. I'm just trying to make safe, 1-4 moa California hunting ammunition.
Any ideas would be fantastic thank you.
Note, I'm not apposed to turning bullets down on the lathe to make them into 150's, but I would rather avoid that if possible
Details: 165 grain Barnes tsx
Imr4895
300 sav resized prvi partizan 308 cases
CCI large rifle primers, can't remember the model.

GaCop
02-23-2021, 08:36 AM
Lyman 50th Edition Manual shows 180 grain data. IMR4895 starting at 35.0 grain and maxed at 39.0 grains. That would be a safe load for your 165 grain bullet and gain you a bit more velocity. Their data was developed using Remington brass and either Remington 9 1/2 or Federal 210 primers. Begin with the starting charge in your particular brass and primers and you should be ok. You'll have to play with the overall length to fit your magazine.

charlie b
02-23-2021, 08:46 AM
Have you thought about making bullets? Get some 3/8" copper rod. Could be simple shapes. Or make a shaped cutting tool for the final cut?

Natospec
02-24-2021, 05:02 AM
Thanks! I actually just picked up this book today. That's kind of a funny coincidence

Natospec
02-24-2021, 05:03 AM
Bullets and casting metal have to be certified and on the list for hunting in CA. I can use roto metals alloy but I don't know anything about casting

big honkin jeep
02-24-2021, 01:11 PM
Might want to see if someone has some 150s they'll trade for the 165s.
I knew I has picked up some GMX off a clearance shelf prior to the latest madness and went down to my shop to check them because I couldn't remember what weight they were. They wound up being 165s too.
Have some 150 SSTs but they are lead which fortunately for me in Georgia in most of the country haven't been made illegal by the Antis using the "by any means necessary" lead free hoax.
Good luck in your search

charlie b
02-24-2021, 07:07 PM
Bullets and casting metal have to be certified and on the list for hunting in CA. I can use roto metals alloy but I don't know anything about casting

I assume you mean a lead free alloy? If so then don't bother with casting.

Are they actually approving specific bullets or just the metal/alloy?

I am so glad I do not live in CA.

Natospec
02-26-2021, 04:07 PM
Specific bullets loaded ammunition and casting alloys. They have a list we can work off of, and there's a ton of choices to pick from. But right now, other than whatever you can find, and rotometals expensive lead free alloy, there's nothing in stock anywhere.
The lead free thing was under the guise of saving condors and eagles but for sure it was an anti Hunter thing that completly backfired on them. Turns out even though they are a little more expensive, mono and gilding metal copper bullets work better.