PDA

View Full Version : 338 win Mag build advice

TongassHunter
02-20-2021, 12:02 PM
Good morning from Alaska. I sure could use some guidance with the build I知 tentatively planning. Right now I have a left handed 116 action and bolt. It痴 a long action small shank with a magnum 0.541 bolt. My goal is to keep it as light weight as possible. I ordered stainless bottom metal with detachable box mag direct from savage.

I need help figuring out which stock to buy and right now I知 not seeing anything in a more traditional hunting style that fits lefty long action? Does anyone have any recommendation? I知 starting to think I should just find a used lefty accustock and call it good? Anyone have a lefty la accustrock they would sell? Does any compony make a fancy light weight stock that would be drop in? I can throw some cash at it if there are recommendations for a good drop in?

next question is the barrel. I want a lightweight profile chambered in 338 win mag that I hope can shoot under 1 mow. Are there any recommendations?

If anyone has any recommendations, I知 all ears and would be grateful for any tips or guidance with this build?

here is a picture of the action, I scored it off GB
https://i.ibb.co/xM5LN91/1-D70-E3-F9-489-F-4607-9715-4-A4-DBFFEBB73.png (https://ibb.co/nDkmFd7)

bc160
02-26-2021, 01:09 PM
Not a ton of help but I would be looking towards hogue or bell and Carlson for stocks. Not a ton of options and certainly not any true lightweight options. As far as barrels go there are plenty to choose from. I have had good luck with barrel brothers. They use Wilson blanks and all have been under 1moa at 100yrds or better. They are great options and are priced quite well especially for a hunting rifle. Good luck!

TongassHunter
03-07-2021, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the reply BC the stocks you recommended I don’t believe are made in left handed versions?

I’ll check out Wilson barrels thanks.

trevor

Not a ton of help but I would be looking towards hogue or bell and Carlson for stocks. Not a ton of options and certainly not any true lightweight options. As far as barrels go there are plenty to choose from. I have had good luck with barrel brothers. They use Wilson blanks and all have been under 1moa at 100yrds or better. They are great options and are priced quite well especially for a hunting rifle. Good luck!