PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen one yet...

AbitNutz
02-15-2021, 07:55 PM
What do you guys think? We've all been shooting Savages and everything else for year but this is a definitely something out of the ordinary. Here's my expert opinion on something I absolutely know nothing about.

I'm not sure what anyone else thinks but this rifle seems to have it all plus a bag of nuts. It has all the Savage qualities, interchangeable barrels (I understand it will take 110 barrels, I hope so!), interchangeable bolt heads and left handed. It then adds in some extras. The left handedness is on every rifle, That may not be important to most folks but to people like me who've lost sight in their right eye it's a big deal. I'm also a fan of straight pull actions. I have always thought they were cool. I have a Swiss K31 and a Ross MK111 that while antiques, they're real sweethearts to run. I understand this type of action is supposed to be quite strong. I'll take folks word for that based on the other companies that use it. They will have to prove the accuracy claims. I hope they can. It would really suck and be DOA out of the box if it has even mediocre accuracy. I'll have to get used to the looks. It's not ugly but it's not drop dead beautiful either. The last hurdle I think will be if the aftermarket folks will support it. That will depend on solely on sales.

So these are unique features and salient points I've come up with:

1. Interchangeable barrels, compatible with 110 barrels...thank god
2. Interchangeable bolt heads, not compatible with the 110...obviously
3. Left handed, left handed and right handed on every rifle...Nice!
4. The bolt handle can be adjusted to any angle...eh, OK.
5. Straight pull bolt...cool. This could be a love it or hate it thing.
6. Integral picatinny rail, this is something I like
7. Strong action lockup, I would hope so. They keep showing elephant hunters in the videos.
8. Trigger adjustment without removing the action from the stock, This could be a problem as the bottom metal is now all one piece.

One big problem may be that the bottom metal is all one piece. Because of this, there would be no way for anyone to make their own and be compatible with AICS magazines. That could be a barrier for some of the high end chassis makers.

Another issue is that none of the aftermarket triggers will fit it. To those of you who love the AccuTrigger that's not a problem. To folks like me, it's an issue. I'm hoping that TriggerTech comes out with a Diamond trigger for this. That would be freakin' awesome

Also I've noticed that in none of the videos or literature no one one is talking about how smooth the action is. I wonder if it's stiff or notchy?

So that is my expert, hands off, completely clueless opinion...

big honkin jeep
02-15-2021, 09:22 PM
Here's another longtime Savage lovers, Outsider looking in, That hasn't laid hands on one, but wondering why and what were they thinking, opinion.
From the initial reports and reviews I've read it has some nice features and I too like ambidextrous features.

Hopefully just like the original "Edge" rifles that became known as the Axis and then the Axis 2s, some rapid evolution will take place.
I learned a big lesson buying "based on the reviews" with the Savage "Edge".
The original ones were pretty much stinkers even as far as econo rifles go in my opinion.

I prefer to choose my own bases and rings and an integral picatinny rail wouldn't normally be a deal killer,
BUT... They made the darn thing with a non removable picatinny base with 20MOA of cant.
I don't know what they were thinking, and out of all the gun guys and hunters I associate with I don't know anyone who runs 20 minutes of cant on their hunting rig. Long range competition rifles yes but there's no way 20MOA will translate well to hunting rigs for a majority of potential customers.
Most guys I know don't want or need their scope 80 clicks from its optical center just to zero at 100 or 200 yards or to hunt at 2-3 times those distances. WTH.
To me it sounds like some internet "poll" was taken of of "I heard this" and "the gun magazines said I need that" Yuppies were allowed to vote on it, instead of someone with experience behind the trigger or in rifle manufacture making a sound (or even sane) decision. 20 minutes of cant is a LOT.

The "Predator" model comes with AICS compatible magazines, Hooray!
BUT much to my dismay it's the only model and in limited chamberings across the lineup that does.
Again I don't know what they were thinking and why all available models and chamberings aren't AICS compatible.
I guess using what has become, and is becoming industry standardized mags that can interchanged just makes too much sense.

Oh well, we'll wait and see how the Impulse evolves and maybe look again when it does.

AbitNutz
02-16-2021, 12:25 AM
Hey, when you're right you're right. I really don't hunt. I punch paper or bang steel at as long a range as I can find. So I'm looking at it from the point of my Savage Elite Precision. I really didn't think of that integral 20 MOA rail when I was watching their video and they had those guys shooting at the charging paper elephants. That is fairly ridiculous.

But all hope may not be lost. The receiver is aluminum and the barrel extension is steel. It's more than likely, at least when I think about it, that they'll come out with other variations without a 20 MOA rail. After all, it's not like they have to invest in an entirely new steel receiver casting. It should be relatively cheap to make new receiver designs.

I didn't realize they had a version with AICS mags. That's a good thing. That'll shows at least someone was thinking. Unfortunately, that's on the short action. While I know there are some folks that shoot 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor at a 1000 meters, I'm afraid I go for something bigger, like 300 RUM.

Overall, I'm still very hopeful. You don't see anyone else doing innovative things like this in America. It's always somewhere else and always with one more zero than I can stomach. I think the overall design lends itself to adaptability to to all kinds of variations at low cost. Let's face it, savage if nothing else, tries to fill every niche under the sun. Not only can't I keep their product line straight, neither can they, there are so many models. With the Impulse it is only going to get worse or better, depending on how you look at it.

J.Baker
02-18-2021, 04:00 PM
So these are unique features and salient points I've come up with:

1. Interchangeable barrels, compatible with 110 barrels...thank god
2. Interchangeable bolt heads, not compatible with the 110...obviously
3. Left handed, left handed and right handed on every rifle...Nice!
4. The bolt handle can be adjusted to any angle...eh, OK.
5. Straight pull bolt...cool. This could be a love it or hate it thing.
6. Integral picatinny rail, this is something I like
7. Strong action lockup, I would hope so. They keep showing elephant hunters in the videos.
8. Trigger adjustment without removing the action from the stock, This could be a problem as the bottom metal is now all one piece.

One big problem may be that the bottom metal is all one piece. Because of this, there would be no way for anyone to make their own and be compatible with AICS magazines. That could be a barrier for some of the high end chassis makers.

Another issue is that none of the aftermarket triggers will fit it. To those of you who love the AccuTrigger that's not a problem. To folks like me, it's an issue. I'm hoping that TriggerTech comes out with a Diamond trigger for this. That would be freakin' awesome

Also I've noticed that in none of the videos or literature no one one is talking about how smooth the action is. I wonder if it's stiff or notchy?

So that is my expert, hands off, completely clueless opinion...

The one piece bottom metal is a good thing, not a bad thing. Also, Savage is offering an AICS version right out of the gate on the Predator model so converting from the standard Savage mags to AICS mags is as simple as calling Savage and ordering the AICSS bottom metal.

The aftermarket trigger issue is valid, but if they sell well you can be assured companies like Rifle Basix, Jard, and maybe Elfman will develop triggers for them. It's still an AccuTrigger so the basic design is the same, what's changed is merely how it affixes and interacts with the action. That said, it will likely be a good year or two before we see any aftermarket triggers for the Impulse (unless Fred decides to get back into the trigger business, but that's highly unlikely).

Action SHOULD be fairly smooth as the design doesn't incorporate raceways so they sshould be able to hold a tighter tolerance between the receiver bore and bolt body. Still waiting on my review sample to arrive though so no hands-on feedback to give yet.

AbitNutz
02-18-2021, 04:32 PM
The one piece bottom metal is a good thing, not a bad thing. Also, Savage is offering an AICS version right out of the gate on the Predator model so converting from the standard Savage mags to AICS mags is as simple as calling Savage and ordering the AICSS bottom metal.

That may be true but I'm concerned about the length. Savage is currently using the short AICS magazines in their predator line. Many of us shoot 300 win mag, 300 RUM and 300 PRC which uses the longer 3.850 magazines. They'll have to come out with something new that fits that before I can move that end of things to an Impulse platform. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker but I can't shoot any of my AICS stuff in the current Impulse line.

shoots100
02-20-2021, 12:51 PM
I for one am looking forward to getting one in 243 for predator hunting.
I've been using a Blaser R8 in 300 WSM for the last couple of years as my primary deer rifle, shoot PRS with a Blaser Tac2 and use my custom (20 Prac + 243) turn bolt savages for my predator rigs.
It will be nice to have all of my rifles straight pull.
I'm a southpaw and one issue for me, is it having a right hand only ejection port, but I think I can overlook that feature for now, as after looking at the videos, the brass ejects to the right at a decent angle and I use brass catchers.
The other is the weight, as my predator rigs are around 8 pounds loaded and topped with thermal + NV scopes.
The Impulse starts out at that weight.
I talked with a savage rep in early January and while their open to new ideas, they also want to make sure the Impulse line is selling before they start making changes.
Once the Impulse is out of the closet, I'm sure the Barrel nut brotherhood will take care of any "Improvements" that are needed to make it work for their specific needs.
As I've been customizing Savage rifles for over 30 years, I have to say that in true Savage fashion, this rifle platform was designed to be customized.

SJC

TongassHunter
02-20-2021, 01:44 PM
They look sooo promising! I like most everything I see especially that they are configurable for lefty’s.

the downside is that the 3 models I looked at on the savage web page list the weights in the mid to high 8lbs range. This is African big game rifle weights with smaller North American chamberings. I hope that as they continue to produce and evolve this action they can figure out how to shed some weight for us hunters.

snowgetter1
02-22-2021, 10:01 PM
Waiting impatiently here. The predator308 is a must have. But I would settle for the hunter. Just NEED one!

AbitNutz
02-25-2021, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=snowgetter1;486186]Waiting impatiently here. The predator308 is a must have. But I would settle for the hunter. Just NEED one![/QUOTE

I totally agree. I'm really hoping though they come out with a predator in larger calibers, so I can use the 3.870 AICS mags.

I traded emails with Triggertech, and they said they were developing the Diamond trigger for it, but realistically it won't be out until 2022. So what? We likely won't be able to get the Impulse until later this year. I just hope the Impulse is a sales success and not end up an orphan.