PDA

View Full Version : building an RUM on a 110 action

savage300rum
02-14-2021, 05:17 PM
Hi guys

I have a 110 (small shank) action sitting in my gun safe and want to build a 338 RUM

Can this be done on a small shank action? Or is it better to do so on a large shank action? Do the large shank action offer a greater degree of support/sturdiness when compared to small action receivers?

Thanks for your input

efm77
02-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Many have been built on small shanks with no ill effects that I'm aware of. However, for belted magnums and up, I prefer a large shank action but it's mostly just preference. Receiver outside diameter is the same on both types, but I like the thicker chamber walls the large shank affords for that portion that extends beyond the receiver ring. Prepare for it to be a single shot though as most of them have magazines too short to run as a repeater on a full length round like the RUM.

yobuck
02-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Hi guys

I have a 110 (small shank) action sitting in my gun safe and want to build a 338 RUM

Can this be done on a small shank action? Or is it better to do so on a large shank action? Do the large shank action offer a greater degree of support/sturdiness when compared to small action receivers?

Thanks for your input
Well my input would be to get a few (professional) opinions before you do that.

efm77
02-17-2021, 02:45 PM
Savage actually made RUM's on small shanks from the factory to start with and the actions weren't modified other than the longer mag cutout, so it can be done.