PDA

View Full Version : optic rail question

Nnkboykin
02-12-2021, 11:20 AM
Can someone give me an idea of a 1 piece 20moa rail that will fit my savage 110 storm in 7mm-08.
I am finding contradicting information.
It is my understanding that 7mm-08 is considered a short action correct?

Thanks!

SageRat Shooter
02-12-2021, 12:19 PM
7mm-08 is indeed considered a short action cartridge.

Orezona
02-12-2021, 12:54 PM
I just put a Warne Mountain Tech rail on a Bergara 7mm-08. It weighed 1.55 ounces on a kitchen digital scale. The Mountain Tech rings weighed 3.56 ounces (pair).

big honkin jeep
02-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Just a couple of questions out of pure curiosity.
Is there any particular reason you want 20 minutes of cant on a hunting rifle?
You do realize that if your optic has 1/4" clicks, that 20MOA of cant will put your scope about 80 clicks from optical center, right?
Just my opinion but adding over 20 inches of elevation for each hundred yards it's going to be a long, long, long, long way before a 7-08 drops anywhere near that much.
I may be way off base but,
I see a lot of guys reading too much "internet banter" about canted rails blah, blah, blah.
In my opinion for what it's worth, A 20 minute rail is fine for long range competition and really high end optics, but doesn't translate well into most hunting rigs or real world distances that most people I know attempt to shoot targets or much less game.
I wouldn't consider a canted rail especially a 20 minute job, unless you find yourself frequently running out of elevation adjustment on your scope at the distances you regularly shoot.
Hope I'm helping, and not just making an uninformed assumption
Good Luck

Bill2905
02-12-2021, 09:50 PM
Here are a couple of possibilities, including the Warne Mountain Tech mentioned above. Your 110 Storm 7mm-08 is a short action.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008905955?pid=373890

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018054583

These are also available in zero MOA.

Nnkboykin
02-16-2021, 11:18 AM
Just a couple of questions out of pure curiosity.
Is there any particular reason you want 20 minutes of cant on a hunting rifle?
You do realize that if your optic has 1/4" clicks, that 20MOA of cant will put your scope about 80 clicks from optical center, right?
Just my opinion but adding over 20 inches of elevation for each hundred yards it's going to be a long, long, long, long way before a 7-08 drops anywhere near that much.
I may be way off base but,
I see a lot of guys reading too much "internet banter" about canted rails blah, blah, blah.
In my opinion for what it's worth, A 20 minute rail is fine for long range competition and really high end optics, but doesn't translate well into most hunting rigs or real world distances that most people I know attempt to shoot targets or much less game.
I wouldn't consider a canted rail especially a 20 minute job, unless you find yourself frequently running out of elevation adjustment on your scope at the distances you regularly shoot.
Hope I'm helping, and not just making an uninformed assumption
Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.
I got some steal rings for Christmas and want to stretch her out to 600-800 yds. was running out of elevation.

May leave it on there for my wyoming antelope trip this year where 400-600 yard shots are commonplace havent decided yet