PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with 110 BA 338 Lapua

nojdrof
11-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Just bought the rifle fired 20 rounds of boxed ammo everything seemed great. I was getting .5 inch groups at 100 yards. The next time out at the range I noticed a delay when pulling the trigger and I had a couple rounds that didn't fire. After taking out the round we found that the firing pin made no contact with the primer. (I have not adjusted the accu-trigger) I took the gun home and cleaned it (including the bolt) went back to the range and now it has a delay. I pull the trigger and have a few 10ths of a second delay. This delay is driving me nuts! I've reassembled the bolt 5 times and it looks OK but I am still getting a delay.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I at first thought I had something sticking in the bolt but after cleaning and reassembling it over and over I don't see how the bolt could be causing the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nefarioud
11-17-2010, 01:24 AM
What is the ammunition? What's the weather like? What do the dents in the primer look like?

nojdrof
11-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Nice weather 50+ F, good size dent in primers. Using the cases from the ammo I bought for reloads.

Thanks

Nefarioud
11-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Only times I've had hangfires it's been ammunition related. What are the load specs?

nojdrof
11-17-2010, 02:33 AM
The cases are factory HSM, the bullets are Sierra BTHP 250, we shot 5 variations as far as powder weight, the powder was R22, we used CCI large magnum primers and everything we did was by the book as far as case length, bullet seating depth etc.

Aircraftmech76
11-17-2010, 03:03 AM
Check the bolt assembly bolt in the rear. This is the allen-headed fastener in the very rear of the rifle's bolt. Make sure it is tight. I would also recommend changing primers. These aren't the CCI military primers (#34IIRC) that have the hard cups for use in the M14 are they?

Kevin

nojdrof
11-17-2010, 03:15 AM
The allen bolt is tight, I just checked it. The primers are just regular off the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse CCI primers.

Thanks again

nojdrof
11-17-2010, 03:17 AM
I'll try some different primers and see what it does. Does it sound like an Accu-trigger issue?

Stu
11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
The cases are factory HSM, the bullets are Sierra BTHP 250, we shot 5 variations as far as powder weight, the powder was R22, we used CCI large magnum primers and everything we did was by the book as far as case length, bullet seating depth etc.

I've run into the same problem once before. They were CCI lg. rifle primers. I bought a tray of them to try and loaded up 20 rnds. All were either mis fires or delayed fires. Put the CCI primers up and have never had the problem since.

ellobo
11-17-2010, 06:19 PM
I stopped using CCI primers a long time ago after having problems with them being oversized in dia. These were pistol primers I used primarilry in .38 special for competition shooting. Trying to reload with those primers was PITA.

nojdrof
11-17-2010, 11:25 PM

I've run into the same problem once before. They were CCI lg. rifle primers. I bought a tray of them to try and loaded up 20 rnds. All were either mis fires or delayed fires. Put the CCI primers up and have never had the problem since.

This is driving me crazy. I bought another box of factory HSM ammo today and a 100 Winchester large rifle wlr primers. The guy at the gun shop said the Winchesters work great.

If the weather nice tomorrow I'll take the gun out and give it a try.

Has anybody else run into this issue? If so please let me know how you resolved it.

Thanks all

dcloco
11-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Have used, within reason, every brand of primer out there....LR, SR, LP, SM, magnum, standard, etc....they all go bang...IF they have been reloaded properly.

Did you disassemble your bolt and remove the firing pin for cleaning? Bet you have a piece of garbage in the firing pin hole of the bolthead.

big honkin jeep
11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Is It a delay before the firing pin falls? Or a click 1 2 3 Boom? I have had the click 1 2 3 boom with a .300RUM The cause was by going below published minimums when handloading. I put the right amount of powder in the case and all was right with the world.
BHJ

Nefarioud
11-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Is It a delay before the firing pin falls? Or a click 1 2 3 Boom? I have had the click 1 2 3 boom with a .300RUM The cause was by going below published minimums when handloading. I put the right amount of powder in the case and all was right with the world.
BHJ

This was kinda what I was thinking. I was mainly thinking primer though. My thought was that if it has enough mechanical energy to ignite the primer then the hang fire would likely be something to do with the ammunition. I don't think the firing pin spring has enough tension to "squeeze" fire the primer. so it's obviously hitting it hard enough to set it off. I've actually crush fired a primer just to see what it would take and it was pretty substantial in term of force. Just my guess though.

nojdrof
11-18-2010, 02:10 AM
BHJ

It feels like I pull the trigger and it's more like click boom anywhere from 1/10 of a second to a half a second delay.

I've cleaned the bolt (removed all parts including the firing pin) 5 or 6 times. I thought I might have had too much oil so I cleaned it and reassembled it dry and tried again. It still had the delay. I took it apart and cleaned it this time using a small amount of oil. Fired it and still had the delay.

I think it's the ammo. I dry fire it and I don't hear any delay at all. It sounds crisp and quick. I will try shooting the same factory ammo I was at first successful with tomorrow and see what it does. I'll let you all know what I find.

psharon97
11-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Most large capacity cases can't tolerate a large deviation from the load data, IE you cant undercharge the cartridge.

nojdrof
11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Most large capacity cases can't tolerate a large deviation from the load data, IE you cant undercharge the cartridge.

The loads were all within the specs in the hand load book. I'll try out some factory loads today and we'll know if it's a load issue or a mechanical problem.

Thanks very much for all the ideas and help

Nefarioud
11-18-2010, 03:06 PM
The loads were all within the specs in the hand load book. I'll try out some factory loads today and we'll know if it's a load issue or a mechanical problem.

I've found in a couple instances where published loads for the 338LM appear to be a WAG. I guess they were done via some sort of Computer tom-foolery. I've never shot any below 70F (to me 50F in cold :))

I just looked through my notes and have never used 250's or RL22, sorry I can't give you anything to compare

I have info on 300's with RL25, H1000 (good), US869 (also good), IMR4350 (not good) and power-pro 4000 (very not good, too fast)

nojdrof
11-19-2010, 03:04 AM

I've found in a couple instances where published loads for the 338LM appear to be a WAG. I guess they were done via some sort of Computer tom-foolery. I've never shot any below 70F (to me 50F in cold :))

I just looked through my notes and have never used 250's or RL22, sorry I can't give you anything to compare

I have info on 300's with RL25, H1000 (good), US869 (also good), IMR4350 (not good) and power-pro 4000 (very not good, too fast)

We went out today in 60F weather with factory HSM ammo. The first round misfired. I removed the round and it had a somewhat shallow dent in it. We loaded another round in the chamber and boom, no delay at all and no misfire. We shot 3 or 4 more that shot perfectly. Then again we had another misfire. Removed the bullet and it also had been hit by the firing pin but a little too light. I loaded up the gun and took it to a gunsmith. He said the firing pin wasn't going out enough and adjusted it. He said I shouldn't have any more problems with the gun firing.

So it looks like we had two problems, first the firing pin wasn't adjusted correctly, second I think we had a box of bad primers or the combination on our reloads must be wrong. We had no delays at all today. We did have misfires but I think that problem is resolved. Tomorrow we're going out again with the gun adjusted and more hand loads some with the CCI primers that had the delay problem and some with new Winchester large rifle magnum primers. I'll let you all know what happens.

Thanks again