PDA

View Full Version : Best scope for 300-600 yard benchrest

Grego
02-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Gents,
Just purchased the 12 Benchrest in .308. Would appreciate your input on best scope for 300-600 yard silhouette & benchrest shooting. Have some macular degeneration in my dominant eye, so clarity is important.
Thank'ee

Txhillbilly
02-10-2021, 03:10 PM
It really depends on how much magnification you're wanting, and how much you're willing to spend. Also which focal plane that you prefer the reticle to be in.
Most Benchrest shooter's use very high magnification scopes in order to see their hits on target.

On the lower priced side of high quality scopes would be the Sightron SIII series in 8-32x or 10-50x.
Delta Stryker HD 5-50x
Sightron SVSS series
Nightforce Benchrest or Competition series
Kahles K1050
March- They have several different scopes with magnification ranges as high as 80x.

All of these scopes are great scopes, it just depends on the features you want, and the money you want to spend. You can also find many of these scopes on the used market for great savings, look on Accurate Shooter's forum.

hamiltonkiler
02-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Budget I would look at fixed power 24x swfa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
02-10-2021, 11:33 PM
It really depends on how much magnification you're wanting, and how much you're willing to spend. Also which focal plane that you prefer the reticle to be in.
Most Benchrest shooter's use very high magnification scopes in order to see their hits on target.

On the lower priced side of high quality scopes would be the Sightron SIII series in 8-32x or 10-50x.
Delta Stryker HD 5-50x
Sightron SVSS series
Nightforce Benchrest or Competition series
Kahles K1050
March- They have several different scopes with magnification ranges as high as 80x.

All of these scopes are great scopes, it just depends on the features you want, and the money you want to spend. You can also find many of these scopes on the used market for great savings, look on Accurate Shooter's forum.

Budget is subjective but there is something fore everyone here

Budget I would look at fixed power 24x swfa

They are sold out of the 24x's but they have plenty of the 20x's:cool:

Anything over a 16x in these scopes get a little dark but usually not a problem target shootting. They are tough too.

bsekf
02-11-2021, 10:41 AM
How about the good old 36x Weaver?

Grego
02-11-2021, 10:56 AM
That's a great scope, but I need variable power for shorter ranges.
thanks

jkv45
02-11-2021, 12:01 PM
Your budget is going to narrow your choices significantly.

How much do you have to spend?

Grego
02-11-2021, 12:43 PM
Your budget is going to narrow your choices significantly.

How much do you have to spend?
The eternal problem - budget vs dream - has gotten me in trouble all my life. I'm 74; why change now? :p No doubt I'll get more scope than I need, will be the envy of the guys at the club and need to sell one of my guns to stay reasonably in debt.

jkv45
02-11-2021, 03:15 PM
The eternal problem - budget vs dream - has gotten me in trouble all my life. I'm 74; why change now? :p No doubt I'll get more scope than I need, will be the envy of the guys at the club and need to sell one of my guns to stay reasonably in debt.

That didn't help...

Evlshnngns
02-11-2021, 04:17 PM

Ha ha. I love my sightron 10-50. My weaver 36x is nice, almost too fine of cross hair. Vortex golden eagle should go on your list as well.

GrenGuy
02-12-2021, 09:52 PM
+2 on the Vortex Golden Eagle. I just got My second one :)

Grego
02-13-2021, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the valuable input Gents. I have a Vortex catalog on the way and have spoken to then once already.

hamiltonkiler
02-13-2021, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the valuable input Gents. I have a Vortex catalog on the way and have spoken to then once already.

Please don’t buy new vortex products.

Unless you enjoy being scopless for returns. And burning ammo chasing a good scope.
Mounting and re mounting.

Don’t get me wrong. You might get a good one. You might not.

Look at some cyclops reviews on YouTube for real reviews.

I’ve only had vortex binoculars but they have been back twice. I have friends that have had nothing but problems from their 100-500$ price range vortex scopes.

Cheers

Bill2905
02-14-2021, 03:56 PM
+3 on the Vortex Golden Eagle. I really like my Sightron SIII 8-32 as well.