PDA

View Full Version : 110 switch barrel setup for hunting?

hal9000
02-04-2021, 11:36 PM
Hi all,
I'm probably in the minority in terms of liking switch barrel setups for hunting, but they solve a handful of problems for me, not the least of which is my desire to tinker!

I have an old savage 110 30-06 that I picked up at a yard sale and have been using for big game for the last handful of years. Its pretty beat at this point and I'm considering making it into a multi caliber rifle when I overhaul it. I've done some reading and have a pretty good handle on what's needed, but I'd love some specific tips/tricks from anyone that's fixed their barrel nut to maintain headspace when removing/replacing barrels, or who has accurized a 110 hunting rifle (this one is about a 1.5 moa rifle at best and has a ~15moa scope misalignment built in from the factory). More than anything I'd love ve a bit of advice on where it pays off to invest in upgraded parts.

Also I haven't found a well documented build thread for a switch barrel savage hunting rifle. If you know of one and wanted to toss the link out there I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

big honkin jeep
02-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Cant provide such a link,
but I can tell you that the biggest accuracy improvement, for the least amount of money that can be made to any modern rifle in good working order, is a handloading kit and tuning a load to the rifle. You might be reallly surprised what a 110 sporter in 30-06 is capable of with the right load.

bsekf
02-05-2021, 12:41 PM
I have a 308 "Hog Hunter" with the 20 inch threaded barrel, put a Harrel's brake on it to reduce recoil, shoots MOA. Bought a Green Mountain 6x223 (shoots <MOA) and a 223 bolt from Numrich and presto I have a switch barrel rifle. Since I reload I am not anal about headspace.... I don't use factory loads. You must use the same recoil lug and nut and I carefully index (mark) the barrel nut and the barrel so I can switch barrels and repeat the settings. DISCLAIMER I still use a dedicated sized case as a go gage and scotch tape for a no-go gage. I even swap stocks, tupperware for the 308 (it's a truck gun) and a pretty laminated for the 6x223. To my surprise, when I switch barrels, the scope only needs a slight adjustment, less than 2 inch at 100 yards. I do use the same scope on both, a Metopa 6, 3-18x50.

You could adjust the headspace and then lock the barrel nut to the barrel with mastic or a set screw, I have found that a unnecessary step. I can make the change in about 10 minutes, 5 in the shop and 5 at the range.

PM me if you have questions.

Bill

Newtosavage
02-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Hi all,
I'm probably in the minority in terms of liking switch barrel setups for hunting, but they solve a handful of problems for me, not the least of which is my desire to tinker!

I have an old savage 110 30-06 that I picked up at a yard sale and have been using for big game for the last handful of years. Its pretty beat at this point and I'm considering making it into a multi caliber rifle when I overhaul it. I've done some reading and have a pretty good handle on what's needed, but I'd love some specific tips/tricks from anyone that's fixed their barrel nut to maintain headspace when removing/replacing barrels, or who has accurized a 110 hunting rifle (this one is about a 1.5 moa rifle at best and has a ~15moa scope misalignment built in from the factory). More than anything I'd love ve a bit of advice on where it pays off to invest in upgraded parts.

Also I haven't found a well documented build thread for a switch barrel savage hunting rifle. If you know of one and wanted to toss the link out there I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

I was tempted to do this until I realized that one action, stock and scope cost less than my time was worth.

Robinhood
02-06-2021, 12:04 AM
I'll ad that seperate complete bolts assemblies if using a different bolt head dimeters, shouldered barrels and a bolt lug action wrench simplify this process.

hal9000
02-07-2021, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone.

FWIW I do handload, but haven't put much time into this rifle yet. Honestly even as picky as I am with my process, I've always had very good luck with quality factory ammo in terms of accuracy most of my long guns will shoot sub moa with factory stuff. This rifle is an exception.

The separate bolts suggestion is a good one!

I use witness marks on everything. Scopes, mounts, sights, etc. If be curious to get a few opinions on witness marks vs fixing the barrel nut in terms of repeatability and convenience.... I'm all about the path of least resistance.

Robinhood
02-07-2021, 01:02 AM
If be curious to get a few opinions on witness marks vs fixing the barrel nut in terms of repeatability and convenience

Red loctite or shouldered barrels.

ratamahatta
02-09-2021, 03:05 PM
Cant provide such a link,
but I can tell you that the biggest accuracy improvement, for the least amount of money that can be made to any modern rifle in good working order, is a handloading kit and tuning a load to the rifle. You might be reallly surprised what a 110 sporter in 30-06 is capable of with the right load.Really needed to here this, as I am the same as OP have a late 90's 110 30-06 with a sporter barrel. Now to dive down the reloading rabbit hole.

Dog will hunt, dog will hunt.

big honkin jeep
02-09-2021, 06:50 PM
Really needed to here this, as I am the same as OP have a late 90's 110 30-06 with a sporter barrel. Now to dive down the reloading rabbit hole.

Dog will hunt, dog will hunt.

Every rifle is different so your results may differ but, For 30-06 I have several that shoot the lights out with a max load (57gr) of IMR 4350 and a 165Gr Sierra Game King HPBT with CCI BR2 primers. It is a max load so be sure and work up to it.
This load is hot, but I shoot this load because it's stupid accurate in my rifles not because it's hot. It not only shoots tiny groups for me but absolutely hammers deer.
Nosler manual lists IMR 4350 as "most accurate powder tested" in 30-06
Good luck

charlie b
02-10-2021, 10:14 AM
Before you go off investing a lot in this....I'd find out why you have an alignment issue. Is it the receiver face? Recoil lug? Scope mount screws not in line with bore? Bad threading job on receiver? etc, etc.

The best ammo in the world won't help if the rifle is messed up.

bsekf
02-10-2021, 11:06 AM
Sent you a PM