PDA

View Full Version : magazine port length

Puffy
02-04-2021, 07:48 PM
I have a 110 action that was built a short action caliber (.243}. I want to build a 300 win mag on this action.
Does anyone know what the length of the mag port is on a magnum caliber? I will have to lengthen the mag port to make this build work. I have looked everywhere and cannot find this data.

sharpshooter
02-04-2021, 11:30 PM
That data is not critical at this point, because you will have to figure out what magazine you are going to use first, then machine it to work with that mag. The old stagger feed mags are non existent, so that leaves you with either a centerfeed magazine or after market. Most all the machining will be at the rear.

Puffy
02-05-2021, 09:08 PM
I would like to use a detachable box mag or a hinged floorplate mag. Do you have any suggestions?

sharpshooter
02-07-2021, 12:01 AM
The factory centerfeed will work. The magazine box itself is the same on a DBM or the HFP. The best part is that the inlet is the same, so you could use any current production stock.

nksmfamjp
02-13-2021, 09:13 AM
Usually 3.43”, but IMO, 300 Win Mag is best suited for 3.6”. I’m not sure if Savage mags are this size.

Are you going to have to machine the action, or did they just position the shorter mag forward? Winchester put a forward spacer on the magazine box and a bolt stop to keep things short.