PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic turret press

Totosdad
02-04-2021, 02:11 PM
I am thinking of getting a Lee Classic turret press. Would like to hear
Some pros and cons of it.

jeffreybehr
02-04-2021, 02:55 PM
If that's the 4-holer, I LOVE mine.. Have had it at least since before 2007 and have SIX turrets for it, all full of dies at one time or two.. This, IMO, is one of the two GREAT features of this turrest press--one doesn't have to dismount ANY die to install a different caliber.. Its other greatness is common to other turret presses, that it takes only a moment to change calibers.. Currently I have turrets with diesets for 5.7X28, 6mm Creedmoor, and 6XC, and I have two more empties.. Here they are from a few years ago.

The press is VERY strong with its solid cast base, three thick-enough steel posts, and very solid machined-steel linkage.. I never liked the primer dispenser nor the rotational mechanism and removed both; I use the normal middle-of-the-post, manual priming devices and rotate the turret by hand.. (I have NO caliber that requires high-volume speed; mine require care and attention.)

I can't think of anything I don't like about it.. It's strong, easy to use, reliable, inexpensive.. One occasional annoyance--because of the smallish diameter of the press and turret, sometimes some new dies have lockrings that are slightly too large, but I recommend Lee's lockrings which are available separately.

Totosdad
02-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Thanks, I want to get extra turrets for 243,308,22 250, and 223

JW
02-04-2021, 08:57 PM
I am thinking of getting a Lee Classic turret press. Would like to hear
Some pros and cons of it.
I have had one since 2008 and still use it. Although not as much now as I have other presses too.
Loaded a bunch of 45 ACP, 223, 22-250, 6.5 x 47, 7-08, and 308 on it
A good press for the money

charlie b
02-04-2021, 10:33 PM
My first press back in the early 80's was a Lee turret press. It came with a maple box that also worked as a stand for the press. I could set it up and reload in the dining room, then pack everything away when done. Haven't seen one of those boxes in years. Loaded many thousands of rounds on it. Passed on to another beginner.

Pros and cons depend on how you will use the press. It can be run as a kind of progressive or single stage. Not a high volume press but flexible. That was a con for me so I went on to a Load Master. Another con if you plan on using it is the auto advance can only be used with pistol and shorter rifle cartridges.

It is strong enough for any reloading task, but, it is not built like a tank like the larger progressives or cast iron single stage presses.

Bill2905
02-06-2021, 08:23 AM
I have one of the budget Lee turret presses from the early 90's and have gotten a lot of good use from it. I imagine the classic model is a little nicer. Mine was a three hole model that I upgraded to a four holer about 5 years ago.

They are great for pistol rounds using the auto index and I can produce 150-200 rounds per hour. I'm sure others will report higher rates than that. I use it as a single stage for 223 and 6BR rifle cartridges while enjoying the convenience of having all of the dies in the turret.

Pros:
-Cost
-Easy to operate once you get into a routine
-Works well with the Lee powder charging and priming tools they make for it
-Strong and reliable.
-Store all of your dies pre-mounted in turrets

Cons:
-Not for longer rifle cartridges

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Three44s
02-06-2021, 06:48 PM
I really like mine but I have one issue with any turret press. As you raise the ram on a turret the first part of the turret rises ahead of the off side to the ram.

With different designed turret presses the amount of tipping varies. The turret on the Lee Classic levels off in full length resizing but when seating small bullets in varmint cartridges I am cautious about bullet to case concentricity because I question whether the turret levels off with such a slight loading of if.

Three44s

charlie b
02-06-2021, 11:24 PM
Have you measured concentricity to see if it is an issue? Just curious.

Three44s
02-07-2021, 12:45 AM
Have you measured concentricity to see if it is an issue? Just curious.

I have not measured to compare. My evidence is antidotal in that I load mostly .204 and .223 for coyotes. I can see the tipping of the turret as the bullet starts into a case mouth. My opinion is (and that all it is) that a small little j word entering a case neck is not enough resistance to level up a turret loaded fully or partially with dies.

Three44s

charlie b
02-07-2021, 10:07 AM
Thanks.

If seating is being done as a single stage you might do something to hold the turret down. The Loadmaster has a thumb screw through from the outside that keeps the turret from moving. That kind of thing might work in this case.

shaffe48
02-14-2021, 09:32 PM
Yes I really like mine. Like others I basically use it as a single stage but I dont need to set and reset my dies. Yes the turret has play in it but for what it's worth the dies in high end presses also have play in them to allow them to self align. Similar to how my neck mandrel also has play in it.