PDA

View Full Version : 110 early trigger

eliwhitley
02-01-2021, 11:54 AM
I have a pre 1966 Savage 110 I am building. The early trigger has a ball and spring inside. I lost the spring. It dry fires without it. Is the spring necessary, what does it do and where can I find one?

Thanks Don

Newtosavage
02-01-2021, 12:04 PM
I now know that trigger assembly very well. Yes, you need the spring inside because it forces that ball bearing into the groove that holds the trigger pivot pin in place. Without it, the ball bearing won't do it's job and that pin can slip sideways and cause a failure. Any spring that will fit inside that hole will do. Maybe find one from a ball point pen, etc?

I have shot my spring across my garage before. I got lucky and found it. I was careful to always remove the sear engagement screw inside a plastic zip-loc bag after that. :D

If you have any other questions about that early trigger assembly, ask away. I've spent probably 10-15 hours now, working with mine - and two different triggers.

eliwhitley
02-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Thanks, I'll look at the hardware store.

eliwhitley
02-01-2021, 02:34 PM
I have in a later pin with the e-clip. Do I still need the spring?

Newtosavage
02-01-2021, 09:54 PM
I have in a later pin with the e-clip. Do I still need the spring?

If you put a later pin in with the e-clip, then most likely not. However, the spring may have served a second function of keeping the sear engagement screw from moving. So keep that in mind.