PDA

View Full Version : I've tried to learn to love the Target Accutrigger but I just can't

Pages : [1] 2 3

AbitNutz
01-31-2021, 07:12 PM
It's the dingus I tell you! It's not just the two stagy-ness but the dingus too! I'm going to replace it on both my Savages.

I like the Jard trigger for its self contained cartridge design but there is no adjustment. You can buy two different weight ranges but they are fixed. There are plusses and minuses to this.

Then there is the Rifle Basix SAV-2. I have one, it's good but you can slam fire it off if you twiddle it too low. I've seen it, we've all seen it. It's still a wonderful trigger but like the Target Accutrigger, if you make it a hair trigger you're going to shoot a hole it something you didn't intend to,

Then there is the new-ish one I'm looking at from Elfmann Tactical, the ELF Savage 110 SE Precision Rifle Trigger. This isn't a cartridge trigger but it's just as easy to install. It has a ball bearing, interchangeable flat and curved trigger shoes. The trigger shoes also has a very large finger contact patch that can be repositioned vertically. However, according docs, the lowest it can go is 1lb 4oz. So the OEM Target Accutrigger can be set lower but sometimes it's not about the lightest weight trigger.

So what do you learned folks think? What is your experience? I wish I didn't mind the Target Accutriggers but I do and they have to go...

hamiltonkiler
01-31-2021, 08:53 PM
Do you know how to breath and squeeze?

Pull the safety in first, take the slack up. Then squeeze it off.

I prefer mine over a 200$ volquartsen 10/22 trigger that breaks at 2# like glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nksmfamjp
01-31-2021, 09:14 PM
I like the Jard trigger for its self contained cartridge design but there is no adjustment. You can buy two different weight ranges but they are fixed. There are plusses and minuses to this.

Actually, there is a pull adjustment within the range of each spring.

That said, it’s just not a great trigger....It is an ok trigger. Likely the best available since the SSS Trigger is not available anymore.

My issue with it is it has creep when pulled slow....I’m not sure why as sear engagement is minimal, Overtravel is minimal.

shaffe48
01-31-2021, 10:18 PM
I'm not following where you say an accutrigger can slam fire. The point of the blade is it will catch the trigger if the sear disengages without the trigger being pulled.

I personally like the (standard) accutrigger. Even out of the action I cannot perceive any movement in the trigger or parts before it fires. That said if you dont like then try something else. See what the target shooters are using.

Robinhood
01-31-2021, 11:38 PM
I dont care for the Accu(safety)trigger either. It has nothing to do with accuracy. I agree with the you on the SAVII also, you can make them slam fire. If there is not a SSS or a SAVII available, I shim to control end play. You can always remove the safety blade and push forward on the trigger when you close the bolt.

AbitNutz
01-31-2021, 11:39 PM
I'm not following where you say an accutrigger can slam fire. The point of the blade is it will catch the trigger if the sear disengages without the trigger being pulled.

I personally like the (standard) accutrigger. Even out of the action I cannot perceive any movement in the trigger or parts before it fires. That said if you don't like then try something else. See what the target shooters are using.

The tendency, like anything else, is if some is good, more must be better. Despite knowing better, I'll run the trigger lighter than common sense tells me to. And of course you're right. I just don't like it. The Glock thing completely throws me off.

AbitNutz
01-31-2021, 11:42 PM
So the Jard isn't that great? I was hoping it was. It might save me from myself. I'm leaning toward the weirdest design, the Elmann.

Fuj'
02-01-2021, 09:17 AM
I have 3 PTA's. All 3 still have the red blade, and no inclination to
do any change outs. For what it's worth, I shoot at 20 ozs. I hear
about the creep on these Accu triggers !! All 3 of mine break clean.
I do love my 2 stage triggers having shot match's for many years
with my AR's. The Savage trigger is a good fit for me.....On the Jard ??
It's a good $100 trigger sold for twice that.

charlie b
02-01-2021, 09:44 AM
I guess that's why I like the Accutrigger too. They feel like a 2 stage that I am used to. And the safety part of it is nice as well.

longbarrel
02-01-2021, 11:31 AM
I guess Timney isn't "stylish" any more, but I like mine. Even working the bolt release is smoother with it vs. the accutrigger.

PhilC
02-01-2021, 12:10 PM
So what do you learned folks think? What is your experience? I wish I didn't mind the Target Accutriggers but I do and they have to go...
I'll gladly buy both those red blade target Accu-Triggers when you pull them. :nod:

Txhillbilly
02-01-2021, 01:14 PM
I wish Trigger Tech would produce a Diamond trigger for a Savage. I have two of them on my custom action rifles, and they are by far the best trigger's I've ever used. I have two of the SSS Competition trigger's, and while they are great trigger's, they are no where near as good as the Trigger Tech's.

JeepsAndGuns
02-01-2021, 01:21 PM
So it is just the safety blade you do not like? You can remove that if you really want, you will just have the danger of a negligent discharge.
Like others have posted, I actually love my accu-triggers. They are the best and lightest triggers I have on 60 or so rifles I have.
All my actions have been timed and trued and the triggers break under 1 pound, which I love. I have never found any reason to want to swap them out. The safety blades I think are one of the best features, as it lets you have a very light trigger, without having to worry about a negligent discharge if you trip it.
I also like the pseudo two stage feel you get from the safety blade.

AbitNutz
02-01-2021, 02:22 PM
On the Jard ??
It's a good $100 trigger sold for twice that.

I get that many love the Target Accutrigger. I'm just not one of them. So, I need to go somewhere else to get the trigger feel I prefer. I don't like the safety blade in any trigger. That's why I don't own Glocks. among other reasons. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be the wide variety of trigger options for the Savage that I think a lot of folks would like.

I've decided I'm going to take a chance a go with the unknown Elmann trigger, mostly because it is unknown. That sounds a bit stupid but there are no strong opinions to disqualify it. I like the very large finger contact patch. This will radically change the trigger feel, hopefully more to my liking.

You all have given me too many reasons why not to go with the Jard. The above quote from "Fuj" really says it all. That trigger is $227.00 including shipping. It should be incredible. I have a few cassette triggers of various manufactures in other rifles that are incredible. So I consider myself warned.

GrenGuy
02-01-2021, 03:50 PM
AbitNutz, please do give the Elfmann Trigger a try. I am very interested in it and look forward to Your review. It looks so simple I don’t see any reason it couldn’t be set lower for Bench Rest use.

Thanks...GG

NicfromAlabama
02-01-2021, 05:11 PM
The Rifle Basix SAV-1 goes down to 14 oz and I wouldn't even look at buying another trigger if it did not go under 14 oz when the SAV-1 can do that.

I agree with the OP, the SAV-2. I have one installed. I have not actually used it yet for live fire. I can make it slam fire if I get rough with it. Once I actually use it for live fire, I will determine if I need to go to a higher pull weight. But, for my uses, it should be OK as a bench gun on my own property.

Smokey262
02-01-2021, 11:28 PM
What does the Elf trigger use for a return spring? Does it interact with the trigger in the same fashion as the stock one does? Anyone have a picture or three of one installed in an action?

Fuj'
02-02-2021, 08:35 AM
I guess Timney isn't "stylish" any more, but I like mine. Even working the bolt release is smoother with it vs. the accutrigger.

Timney Is good. I've used them on other builds with excellent results,
just not on Savages. I just felt there was not the need at the time or
the added expense. As for expense ?? A Timney will run you About $140
Well worth the look.

Orezona
02-03-2021, 01:10 AM
I'll gladly buy both those red blade target Accu-Triggers when you pull them. :nod:

Come on man, they suck. Let me buy them. I would hate to see you spend your money on them.

PhilC
02-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Come on man, they suck. Let me buy them. I would hate to see you spend your money on them.
Since I can't spend it on reloading components I may as well spend it elsewhere. :thumb: