PDA

View Full Version : Wipe Out bore cleaner review

Bill2905
01-27-2021, 04:24 PM
I bought a can of this stuff a few months ago and finally got around to trying it this past weekend. Their promos recommend using it on a barrel that you think is already clean to prove how effective it is at removing what you missed. So, I tried it on my Shilen 223 barrel. After the recommended one hour soak, I pushed a dry patch through the bore and it came out clean, indicating that either I have been doing a good job cleaning this barrel or that the stuff just doesn't work that well.

Next, I used it on my Colt AR-15 barrel which I had shot the day before. This barrel is always nasty and takes forever to get clean after a trip to the range. I have never used any copper remover in this barrel and it has about 1500 rounds through it. After the recommended one hour soak, I was astonished at how much bright blue liquid came out of the barrel and how filthy black the patch was. To test how well it worked, I followed up with some Hoppes using six cycles of wet brushing followed by a dry patch. By the sixth cycle, the patch came out very faint gray.

Wipe Out has a very faint ammonia odor and if you asked me to describe it, I would say it most reminds me of glass cleaner with ammonia. Essentially, a strong cleaning solution with a little ammonia in it.

I'll use it a few more times on my bolt guns before passing final judgement. However, based on the first experience, I think it's going to improve my cleaning regimen.

jpdown
01-27-2021, 07:42 PM
Wipe-out/Patch-out is the best bore cleaner I’ve ever used. I prefer the liquid Patch-out version over the foam.

Texas10
02-21-2021, 11:37 PM
Since buying a borescope camera and actually seeing in minute detail the inside the bore of my rifles, I have discovered many truths about the cleaning products I thought I knew were excellent and doing the job I assumed they were doing as judged the color of a patch. All I can say is that if you're not using a borescope, you're probably just shooting in the dark when it comes to cleaning products. I was amazed at how much copper and fouling remained in the barrel after the patch came out clean.

PhilC
02-22-2021, 11:44 AM
I agree, Teslong was the best $50 I ever spent on a gun related item.

JeepsAndGuns
02-22-2021, 01:33 PM
Best way I found to remove stubborn copper is by elbow grease and a cleaner with some grit to it such as JB bore paste or gold medallion. Neither one will harm the bore and basically polishes away the copper. I have confirmed with a bore scope.

I had one barrel grab copper so bad, I had globs of it inside the barrel that I could feel with the cleaning patch (felt like a rough spot) and then I confirmed with a bore scope.
The only way I got it out was the plug the bore and filled it with KG-12. That stuff dissolved every bit of the copper and left it looking new again.

Now when I have copper that a few passes of JB will not remove, I go straight to KG-12.

GaCop
04-27-2021, 07:20 AM
Wipe-out/Patch-out is the best bore cleaner I’ve ever used. I prefer the liquid Patch-out version over the foam. :thumb::thumb:

Iowa Fox
04-30-2021, 03:07 AM
Wipe-out/Patch-out is the best bore cleaner I’ve ever used. I prefer the liquid Patch-out version over the foam.

I've tried a lot of cleaners over the years but Wipe-out / Patch-out is the best that I have found I don't worry about copper fouling but vitrified carbon is horrible to remove.