PDA

View Full Version : Us optic or Leupold

todd.schmidt.549
01-24-2021, 07:49 PM
5-25 what are your thoughts has anyone use both ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Txhillbilly
01-24-2021, 11:45 PM
I really wouldn't suggest either brand. US Optics isn't the same quality as they once were, and their entry level scopes are made in China.
Leupold makes some good, not great Hunting scopes, but their tracking has always sucked on their Tactical / Long range scopes. Their scopes are way over priced for what your getting.

What's your budget for a scope?

todd.schmidt.549
01-25-2021, 12:01 AM
2000.00 thanks for your opinion.

Robinhood
01-25-2021, 01:55 AM
Kahles.... used

yobuck
01-25-2021, 09:54 AM
I really wouldn't suggest either brand. US Optics isn't the same quality as they once were, and their entry level scopes are made in China.
Leupold makes some good, not great Hunting scopes, but their tracking has always sucked on their Tactical / Long range scopes. Their scopes are way over priced for what your getting.

What's your budget for a scope?
Im curious as to how one would go about checking the accuracy of the tracking quality of a scope when shooting at long range?

Txhillbilly
01-25-2021, 11:49 AM
The easiest way is by using a Tall target test.

https://youtu.be/12Wf0Cuwwi8

Txhillbilly
01-25-2021, 12:18 PM
2000.00 thanks for your opinion.

You have all kinds of options. And if you can bump your budget up another $500 you can easily find lightly used S&B PMII, Kahles K525I, Nightforce ATACR, Minox ZP5 scopes.

Buying new, there are plenty of great scopes like the Delta Stryker HD, Athlon Cronus, Tract Toric HD, Steiner T525, Vortex Razor gen 2.

I got a great deal on a used S&B PMII a while back. I also have a Athlon Cronus, Delta Stryker, and Steiner T525. While they are not the same quality as my S&B, Nightforce, and IOR Recon scopes, they hold their own against them in most aspects of usage. The differences between a $1500-$2000 scope, and the $2500-$3500 scopes really isn't that great to most shooter's.

yobuck
01-25-2021, 01:13 PM
The easiest way is by using a Tall target test.

https://youtu.be/12Wf0Cuwwi8
Well i noticed that Brian did check the 100 yd distance by using 3 different rangefinders.
But he didnt bother checking the level he used.
He could at least have reversed the one he used to see if it was actually on, but maybe he didnt know how to check out both the level and the scope.
The ones used on jobsites are usually marked this end up, or this side up, or maybe both. lol
Anyway 30 minits equals 130 clicks on the dial for a 1/4 minit scope, assuming my memory is correct.
Certainly far enough downrange for even the larger cartridges to experience conditions other than slight tracking issues that could affect where the bullet lands.
Maybe how to deal with that will come in a later chapter, or the next book.

geezerhood
01-31-2021, 01:29 PM
I run a 2.5-25x52 March compact and like it better than any of the Leupold, Nightforce, Kahles, S&B or USO scopes I have owned. Very compact and light. Great for anything from a precision air rifle, a light weight hunting rifle or a heavier 1K yard plus rig. The S&B has a slight edge in clarity, but not much and is significantly more expense and larger. They have scopes up to 8-80x if you need something bigger. The 42mm can be found for $2K. The 52mm is more expensive.

120 MOA of elevation
Only 23.5 ounces
13.23" Long
Zero Stop
Illumination available
Very reliable tracking
Focus to 10 yards

Robinhood
01-31-2021, 11:47 PM
Have you investigated the Leupold Mark 5 with CCH reticle? On sale around 2K right now. Best reviews ever for leupy.

Txhillbilly
02-01-2021, 01:39 PM
I run a 2.5-25x52 March compact and like it better than any of the Leupold, Nightforce, Kahles, S&B or USO scopes I have owned. Very compact and light. Great for anything from a precision air rifle, a light weight hunting rifle or a heavier 1K yard plus rig. The S&B has a slight edge in clarity, but not much and is significantly more expense and larger. They have scopes up to 8-80x if you need something bigger. The 42mm can be found for $2K. The 52mm is more expensive.

120 MOA of elevation
Only 23.5 ounces
13.23" Long
Zero Stop
Illumination available
Very reliable tracking
Focus to 10 yards

The March is a fantastic scope.

Have you investigated the Leupold Mark 5 with CCH reticle? On sale around 2K right now. Best reviews ever for leupy.

But it's still a Leupold, and great tracking has never been something that they do very well.

Robinhood
02-01-2021, 10:20 PM
But it's still a Leupold, and great tracking has never been something that they do very well.

Point Being is that this scope is said to be spot on in tracking. The only reason I mentioned it.