PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 BR action. Is it too weak to perform?

Downeast
01-22-2021, 07:52 PM
I purchased a new M12 BR (dual port) rifle to shoot F Class style and had it rebarreled to .284 Winchester. Now I find out that to really be competitive I need to load 4 or 5 grains above max (H4831 SC) using Berger 180 VLD's to get to 2800 fps. And I have been told that the action will not hold up to the pressure? Anyone tell me if I made a serious and costly mistake going with Savage? :confused:

Robinhood
01-22-2021, 10:44 PM
i don't think you made Mistake. What kind of powder weight are you talking about? 59 grains? Is your barrel chambered for that specific projectile?

Fuj'
01-23-2021, 08:23 AM
I purchased a new M12 BR (dual port) rifle to shoot F Class style and had it rebarreled to .284 Winchester. Now I find out that to really be competitive I need to load 4 or 5 grains above max (H4831 SC) using Berger 180 VLD's to get to 2800 fps. And I have been told that the action will not hold up to the pressure? Anyone tell me if I made a serious and costly mistake going with Savage? :confused:

Eric....The mod 12 action is surely more then strong enough.
My SA284 wild cat, I can push to 2800 with Ramshot Hunter
and the 183 SMK. With R-16, I'm at 2775 safely. This case is
the 284 Winchester I shortened by .155".....Talk to Robin
Ardoin either on Accurate Shooter or 65creedmoor. He shot the
.284 in F-class and holds a masters certificate. He has switched
to the 7 Sherman as of late. Robin will be straight with you on the

charlie b
01-23-2021, 09:26 AM
I would first ask if you have had the rifle out in competition yet? And how much have you shot in competition before this?

I would not be concerned with getting that last 100fps of velocity until I knew I could shoot to an adequate level to take advantage of that last bit of speed.

GrenGuy
01-24-2021, 06:45 AM
Downeast, You are the victim of competition snobbery, if not stupidity. Your M 12 action is not weak. Yesterday in competition, I beat actions that cost 5 times what mine cost.

It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian ;)

Txhillbilly
01-24-2021, 11:33 PM
First off, You should only load your ammo to whatever your accuracy node is, and I highly doubt it will be 4-5 grains past any book maximum load. Velocity doesn't equal Accuracy. If you can't safely get a velocity / accuracy that allows you to shoot that bullet to the distance you're trying to shoot, try shooting a lighter weight bullet.

GrenGuy
01-25-2021, 09:19 AM
Downeast, what are You using as max load, and what is the source of the data. Some manuals are famously low. I have loaded 56 grains of H4831SC in Peterson brass with no indication of pressure. If You don’t already know, I suggest You learn to detect pressure “in your rifle”, and test from low load to “your max”. You will find “your” accuracy node/nodes somewhere in there. Many winning shooters are successful shooting low nodes. There is a lot of talk at matches and on the net. The best information is that which You discover Yourself, with Your equipment. Be Safe!

jeffreybehr
01-25-2021, 01:24 PM
Downeast, if you were loading 5 grains OVER a real-and-correct maximum load, the primers would blow open the pockets, you'd have a tiny mess in your action when you opened the bolt, and the cases would be useless.. How many loads do you get from your cases?