PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin protrusion 110

Pages : 1 [2]

celltech
05-07-2021, 07:48 AM
A little update. After heading back to the range, I still had an occasional fail to fire. Turns out that when I adjusted my firing pin protrusion, I guess I messed up. I sent my bolt out to get checked out and the spring pressure was a little light and the firing pin travel was adjusted a little short. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to the range soon. He sounded pretty confident that was causing my FTF.
Out of curiosity, how short did you make it and how were you checking your work?

Robinhood
05-07-2021, 10:22 AM
For future Savage-smiths. What happened to non typical often arises from fellas trying to reduce the bolt lift effort. The cocking piece pin should be close to the bottom of the cocking ramp when setting up your firing pin. If the cocking piece is backed off, this reduces the firing pin travel.

You can tell if the cocking piece adjustment is off by paying attention to the amount the bolt handle travels without resistance when lifting the bolt from the fired position. It should begin to contact the ramp with a very small amount of upward movement. You do not want the cocking piece pin contacting the bottom of the cocking ramp window though, this will affect the firing pin protrusion and possibly cause other issues. Careful observation when adjusting the firing pin assembly is prudent.

Sorry for interrupting celltech, Chive On.

Nontypical
05-07-2021, 05:43 PM
Out of curiosity, how short did you make it and how were you checking your work?

I sent my bolt to Desh industries to have him go over it. IIRC, he said it was .187 of travel and should’ve been about .25. And because the travel was off it also resulted in the spring pressure being a little light. It was set at 20lbs and should’ve been at 23lbs.

Nontypical
05-07-2021, 05:49 PM
For future Savage-smiths. What happened to non typical often arises from fellas trying to reduce the bolt lift effort. The cocking piece pin should be close to the bottom of the cocking ramp when setting up your firing pin. If the cocking piece is backed off, this reduces the firing pin travel.

You can tell if the cocking piece adjustment is off by paying attention to the amount the bolt handle travels without resistance when lifting the bolt from the fired position. It should begin to contact the ramp with a very small amount of upward movement. You do not want the cocking piece pin contacting the bottom of the cocking ramp window though, this will affect the firing pin protrusion and possibly cause other issues. Careful observation when adjusting the firing pin assembly is prudent.

Sorry for interrupting celltech, Chive On.

I probably should’ve just left the firing pin protrusion set where it was when I replaced the bolt head. But of course, I’m one to always try and make things perfect. Unfortunately this time due to my limited lack of knowledge other than watching a YouTube video on adjusting the pin protrusion, I made it worse and created another problem. Hopefully after having someone else with a lot more knowledge and the correct tools to measure and make the right adjustments, I will not have anymore issues.

Robinhood
05-07-2021, 10:30 PM
I probably should’ve just left the firing pin protrusion set where it was when I replaced the bolt head. But of course, I’m one to always try and make things perfect. Unfortunately this time due to my limited lack of knowledge other than watching a YouTube video on adjusting the pin protrusion, I made it worse and created another problem. Hopefully after having someone else with a lot more knowledge and the correct tools to measure and make the right adjustments, I will not have anymore issues.

I wasn't trying to belittle you nontypical in case I came across that way. I was targeting future readers who look this topic up, so they know what to look for and they don't loose firing pin travel causing light strikes. I'm glad you got yours fixed.

Dave Hoback
05-07-2021, 11:41 PM

We can’t learn a skill set if we are not willing to mess up on the way. :smile-new: It does strike me as odd you were told the spring was weak. Did you happen to clip it at some point? I’ve never seen a Savage that was not considerably OVER sprung. I also agree with the above. Everything clean & DRY, and set to .035”-.045” (I’m right at .035” and never have had a light strike). Finally, the cocking piece pin should be set .080” from the bottom shelf of the bolt window.

Nontypical
05-08-2021, 04:14 AM
I wasn't trying to belittle you nontypical in case I came across that way. I was targeting future readers who look this topic up, so they know what to look for and they don't loose firing pin travel causing light strikes. I'm glad you got yours fixed.
No offense taken at all.

Nontypical
05-08-2021, 04:18 AM
We can’t learn a skill set if we are not willing to mess up on the way. :smile-new: It does strike me as odd you were told the spring was weak. Did you happen to clip it at some point? I’ve never seen a Savage that was not considerably OVER sprung. I also agree with the above. Everything clean & DRY, and set to .035”-.045” (I’m right at .035” and never have had a light strike). Finally, the cocking piece pin should be set .080” from the bottom shelf of the bolt window.
I should’ve clarified. The spring pressure was good, when the travel was set correctly. But since the travel was short, it therefore had reduced pressure. Does that make sense? I’m pretty sure that was what he told me, but I may have misunderstood him.

Dave Hoback
05-08-2021, 06:37 AM
Perfect sense. I just read in another thread you had Grimstod set it up now. You’ll be GTG!

Nontypical
05-08-2021, 06:59 AM
Perfect sense. I just read in another thread you had Grimstod set it up now. You’ll be GTG!
Very reasonable with a quick turnaround. Sounds like he knows his stuff. Just can’t wait to test it out!

Dave Hoback
05-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Oh yeah.... Ben (Grimstod Desh), is VERY well known & well respected here.

Nontypical
05-23-2021, 01:22 PM
Got a chance to test everything out. Everything went perfect and she shoots even better than before. The bolt is effortless with the lift kit installed as well.