PDA

View Full Version : PTG Bolt head question.

TommyD11730
01-08-2021, 10:58 PM
So... I sat in/assisted some on a friend's 110 barrel swap. Same caliber (6.5) just a custom barrel and PTG bolt head.
The swap was straight forward as far as replacing the barrel and setting the headspace. Then we hit a snag. After assembly of the bolt head the ejector plunger was hanging up. Now it wouldn't hang up mind you if you pressed say a punch straight down on it. Rather if you hooked a case under the ejector and then tried to press it down it would hang up/not retract. It was as if the geometry was wrong and it was binding.
Calling PTG got him no where. They said they had never heard of the issue, return the bolt head and they would check it out.
Ultimately we used the factory Savage bolt head and reset the headspace to accommodate it.
So... just wondering anyone run into this issue before.
Thank you.

Robinhood
01-09-2021, 01:17 AM
I had to drill the ejector hole out once. It was not a diameter problem for me, it was the depth. The coil spring was bound before I could drive the retaining pin in. I think I drilled it .050" to .075" deeper. I used the exact drill size to fit the diameter of the hole. I would approach comparing the factory dimensions of the ejector hole to the PT&G piece.

J.Baker
01-09-2021, 05:17 AM
And now you know why I don't ever recommend PT&G Savage parts to anyone.

Digduggy
01-10-2021, 10:42 AM
J Baker, are the quality problems new with the bolt heads? I have them on two rifles circa 5-8 years ago and they work flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celltech
01-10-2021, 01:28 PM
In the years I have been reading this forum it seems like PT&G stuff either works fine or is a complete disaster. You take your chances with them...

Smokey262
01-10-2021, 08:15 PM
I recall when these were introduced that some folks thought they were the next sliced bread. Then when the actual dimensions were checked and compared to the OEM part it didn't seem worth doing. Must not have been any improvements since then.

mnbogboy2
01-11-2021, 02:06 AM
So... I sat in/assisted some on a friend's 110 barrel swap. Same caliber (6.5) just a custom barrel and PTG bolt head.
The swap was straight forward as far as replacing the barrel and setting the headspace. Then we hit a snag. After assembly of the bolt head the ejector plunger was hanging up. Now it wouldn't hang up mind you if you pressed say a punch straight down on it. Rather if you hooked a case under the ejector and then tried to press it down it would hang up/not retract. It was as if the geometry was wrong and it was binding.
Calling PTG got him no where. They said they had never heard of the issue, return the bolt head and they would check it out.
Ultimately we used the factory Savage bolt head and reset the headspace to accommodate it.
So... just wondering anyone run into this issue before.
Thank you.

Have had replacement ejector plungers "hang up" in both Savage and the only PTG that i have. The notch cut for the retaining pin if cut wrong allows the top edge of the notch to protrude above the bolt face. Side pressure will cause it to "catch" on its way down when being compressed. The PTG head i have had the retaining pin hole a few thousandths too high making this problem worse. The problem also happens in Savage heads. The notch cut in the pin if too wide or placed too high on the plunger will allow this to happen. Tolerances at the Savage supplier will have to take the blame. Because some work fine.

AbitNutz
01-13-2021, 03:30 PM
I've had mostly good results with PT&G bolt heads. I've probably replaced 5 or 6. However I did get one I had to send back. The ejector was not drilled large enough. It wouldn't even go in. I usually use SSS Extractor/Ejector kits and never have a problem. On this one, no matter what I tried, it wasn't going to work. On the plus side they swapped it out pretty fast.

They are currently changing out their ordering system and it appears things are a mess. I've been trying to get a part since November and all it says is processing. I've written and called...still processing.

The only way, at this point, to make sure you get something, and I just had to do this, is to call, get hold of a guy, not the receptionist, and have him walk the part to shipping. Believe it or not they're usually willing to do this if you tell them you've had fits getting orders filled. I just had to order a bolt head (I'll let you know how it fits) and he went and got it and walked it to shipping. It should be here shortly. I have a tracking number.

PT&G used to not be horrible, at least to me but I too have heard the the many, many complaints...The problem is that some bolt head configurations are just impossible to get from savage and PT&G is the only option. I mean this time I needed A) Long action B) Magnum bolt face C) Left hand. There was none to be found but PT&G.