PDA

View Full Version : Have the DOT regulations concerning Shipping Primers changed?

geezerhood
01-08-2021, 12:44 PM
I know that as of January 1 the LABELING requirements by the DOT have changed. The old ORM-D Hazmat classification and label has gone away, replaced with I think the UN requirements, though I have not been able to figure that out to my satisfaction.

But - what about the requirement by the DOT that determine UPS and FedEx policies and shipper requirements on such, that anyone shipping primers that are boxed alone and not in loaded ammunition or primed brass must be a DOT trained and registered Hazmat Shipper?

I had some guy tell me that he frequently ships factory boxed primers by US Mail in his regular business activity and it is perfectly OK. Other primer sellers on gunbroker etc have stated that they asked their local UPS people if they could ship factory boxed primers and were told that they could. No need for Hazmat training and registration. One seller even had them inspect the contents, which was multiple 1000 count primer cartons, when he brought the shipment to them. They approved the shipment and put a "Small Arms Ammunition Primers" sticker of some kind on the box, so he said. He has since shipped quite a few more like that.

What is the truth on all this? Has something changed or are they all doing this in violation of USDOT regulations?

Danatkins8605
01-08-2021, 12:59 PM
That would be awesome

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

geezerhood
01-08-2021, 01:02 PM
I am pretty sure that they have been given incorrect information by UPS. As for US Mail shipping? I am pretty sure that is way over the top. The last time I checked, the Post Office won't even let you ship primed brass. Primers alone are on the next level up of hazardous materials from ammo / primed brass.

JeepsAndGuns
01-08-2021, 01:49 PM
As far as I know, only the label has changed. The ormd sticker is being phased out in favor of the diamond style like this: https://www.labelmaster.com/shop/labels/regulated-markings-and-labels/limited-quantity-labels/limited-quantity-labels-blank/limited-quantity-label-blank-101mm-x-101mm-paper-lql40s

As far as shipping primers (or other hazmat) without hazmat certification, I am pretty sure it is still a no-no. Most likely what is happening is the min wage people they are hiring at the post office and ups/fedex to fill in, simply do not know the laws and have no idea what they are doing. So lots of hazardous materials are shipping without proper packaging and regulations.
I would not risk it. I do not see the DOT just suddenly changing their mind and saying, ok, these are no longer dangerous and can ship like it was a box of crackers.