PDA

View Full Version : The Savage 10 action vs 110 ...

bigjeepman
01-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Please don't cringe as I post questions but I am one of those (like most) who have a need to know when they don't know. My question ... is there any difference in the action of the Savage 10 and the Savage 110? I have never owned a 110 but have owned several 10FP's in the last 20 years but not for the last 9 years.

The reason I ask is that I have recently acquired a 10FP SR .308. I prefer the blind magazine so it took me a while to find what Savage rifle was to my liking. I found one and also recently joined SavageShooters.com so I could learn more than I know about the Savage rifles and what you guys were doing with yours. I keep hearing/reading how inherently accurate the Savage 110 action is and that this action is well represented in rifle builds. I have sent questions to Savage via email but that has been hit and miss but mostly miss.

If you would give me your opinions of the 10 vs 110 Savage actions, I would really appreciate it. There might not be any difference but I would like to know. If I am not mistaken, the lady Savage rep in one of the new Impulse videos even made a reference to the 110 being so well known for it's accuracy.

JeepsAndGuns
01-08-2021, 01:39 PM
The two number actions (10, 11, 12, etc..) are short actions. The 3 number actions (110, 111, 112, etc...) are long actions.

However there are exceptions. Like right now you can buy a brand new model 110 that comes in both short and long action.

bigjeepman
01-08-2021, 02:26 PM
Okay ... so with the difference between short action and long action being about 1/2", is anyone saying one is more accurate than the other or is that a "hornet's nest" topic?

The reason for the questions is that I keep hearing "the 110 action" in the Savage when people talk about a great accuracy reputation. Maybe there is just nothing there in what I am hearing/reading but maybe just a general reference to the Savage action.

Bill2905
01-08-2021, 02:46 PM
Older models used the 10 or 110 designation. As described above, older model 10s were short action. Older model 110s were long action.

The newer Savages are now simply designated as the model 110 and are available in both short and long action cartridges.

I think that when they speak of the 110's historical accuracy, they are generally referring to the Savage action and not a particular model.

bigjeepman
01-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Older models used the 10 or 110 designation. As described above, older model 10s were short action. Older model 110s were long action.

The newer Savages are now simply designated as the model 110 and are available in both short and long action cartridges.

I think that when they speak of the 110's historical accuracy, they are generally referring to the Savage action and not a particular model.
That is what I finally started thinking. Thank you guys for replying ... I now have a better understanding.

Texas10
01-08-2021, 04:22 PM
Since your concern is mostly about the inherent accuracy of the Savage actions, and you have a SR ( suppressor ready) model, I'd suggest you screw on a tuner or, if you prefer, a tuner with brake and discover just how accurate your new Savage will shoot. A warning though, once you go *Tuner*, you never go back.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/tuner-brakes

The Tuner will allow you to tune the barrel to a commercial load for ultimate accuracy such as the Federal FGGM 168 or 175 gr loads. Once you have a noted the tuner setting for both loads, it's a simple act of switching between the two and changing the tuner setting per your DOPE.

Once you've set the tuner to your load, and then on subsequent range days where the temperature has changed and the load does not shoot to your expectations, you simply adjust the tuner for the new conditions and you are all set. With your carefully recorded DOPE, this only takes a few seconds to be back to the group size you expect.

charlie b
01-08-2021, 06:46 PM
You will also see folks in this forum refer to the 110 series and include in that all of the 10, 11, 12, 110, 116 etc, etc. The 'extra' numbers (and letters and names) denote different configurations of the same action design. They may be long or short action, 'small'/std/magnum bolt faces, large shank or small shank barrels, small port, single shot (no magazine slot), etc, etc.

Look in the sticky for a lot more information
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18164-Savage-Centerfire-FAQ-s-amp-Gunsmithing-Article-Links

bigjeepman
01-08-2021, 08:37 PM
It was a 9 year layoff from owning a Savage so I missed out on a lot of changes. I appreciate the links guys ... interesting and useful.

Txhillbilly
01-09-2021, 01:14 AM
Also, The older Staggered feed actions also came in 110 long action receiver's but shot short action cartridges. The blind magazine's had block off plates built into them for the shorter cartridges.

PhilC
01-09-2021, 11:03 AM
Also, The older Staggered feed actions also came in 110 long action receiver's but shot short action cartridges. The blind magazine's had block off plates built into them for the shorter cartridges.
...and also a different baffle so the same long action bolt could be used with short action cartridges.

kwarw1
01-09-2021, 09:26 PM
Good job Philc I was going to say it but you beat me to it. There was a time 1990s - 2004? that they where all long actions and used an extended front baffle to shorten the bolt travel for the short action cartridge. someone with more knowledge can tell you the exact time frame.

PhilC
01-10-2021, 10:46 AM
Know it was earlier than 90 as I bought one for my wife and she used it for deer in '88 & '89 while we were still in NV.