PDA

View Full Version : Would I be stupid for swapping my choate stock for a accustock?

JeepsAndGuns
01-06-2021, 09:19 PM
I have a model 10 I built in 308. It specs as follows:
Left hand model 10 action, timed and trued. X-caliber 26in ss heavy barrel, 308 win, 1-10 twist, 5R. The stock is a choate ultimate varmint I had inletted by CDI and uses their DBM to use AICS style mags.
I have another rifle I built (a left hand long action in 6.5x55) many years ago with the same stock. I really liked the stock, so I bought one for this build as well.

Well, I also semi recently built a 223. I built it from a newer model 110 tactical https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?64335-223-5-56-rifle-build
With it I just kept the factory accu-fit accu-stock, since it was already set up for AICS mags.
Well the more I shoot both of them, I find myself really starting to prefer the accu-fit accu-stock over the choate ultimate varmint. I am just finding it way more easier to get a good grip, hold, and make it more steady while on a front rest/rear bag.
I use a front rest on all my rifles when I shoot from the bench and a bag on the rear, except when using the ultimate varmint. I use the rear threaded monopod in the stock. On the other bags, I can move and/or squeeze the rear bag to make fine adjustments. On the ultimate varmint, when I turn the knob to make a fine adjustment, it always walks off, even if I try to put something soft under it (like a rag). I am growing a little tired of it. But with the shape of the stock, I can not use a rear bag like I can on a more traditional styled stock.
I also like the factory savage AICS style DBM better than the CDI. The savage seems easier to find the opening and insert the mag, and seems to hold/support it better than the CDI. The savage is more of a mag well, while the CDI is more of a opening the mag goes into.

So would I be stupid for wanting to swap out the ultimate varmint for a factory accu-fit accu-stock just like the one in my above 223 build I did?

Bill2905
01-06-2021, 10:19 PM
No, you wouldn't be stupid for doing that. Go in the direction that gives you the most enjoyment of your time behind the trigger. I had a similar debate a while back when I bought a 10 BA Stealth in 223. I paid a lot for that rifle and as much as I wanted to like it, it just never worked for me for the type of shooting I do. I found myself preferring my other traditionally stocked rifles for bench shooting. I finally admitted my mistake, sold it, and have not regretted it for a moment.

JeepsAndGuns
01-07-2021, 08:43 PM
Well definitely not selling it, I have too much money in it building it. But swapping just the stock would be my plan.
I would need the stock, bottom metal, action screws, recoil lug, among other things. I am starting to think it might be easier to get a whole rifle to get all the parts from, then I either sell the remaining parts, or just assemble them into my old stock and make a complete rifle to resale.
However prices are extremely high right now and it might not be feasible. Guess I will just need to keep a eye out.

Balvar24
01-07-2021, 09:14 PM
My grandfather once told me, "It's my money. I might as well spend it on what I like."

JeepsAndGuns
01-09-2021, 10:30 AM
I decided to just break down a buy a complete rifle so I will have everything I need and not have to worry about piecing everything together and trying to hunt down parts. I can either part out the remaining rifle, or reassemble it into my current stock and resell as a complete rifle.
However it appears the 110 tactical left hand models are unobtainum right now (as with pretty much everything). It does not matter if it is the model 57009 in 308, or the 57457 in 6.5 cm.
The 308 I pretty much could not find any listings for anywhere, and where I did, were out of stock. The 6.5 cm, I could find listings for everywhere, but no one had them in stock.
Cabela's/bass pro showed the LH 6.5 cm on their website as "order online and ship to your local store" and were on sale for $619, pretty much the cheapest anywhere. None in stock at any store around me. I called and spoke with a lady thursday and asked if they had any in stock (gave her their sku number). She said they did not. (this was their main number, not my local store). So I kept looking around yesterday with still no luck unless I wanted to pay close to $800+ on gunbroker.
I came back to cabela's and noticed on their site the right handed model, you did not even have the option to add it to your cart, while the left hand you did. I checked a few other savage models, and some you could add to your cart, and others you could not (the button was not even there). So that made me wonder if there was still some type of availability of the left hand models.
So I decided to take a chance. I added it to the cart and checked out. I got the confirmation email and my card was charged. I guess now I play the waiting game and see if they end up actually sending one to the store or if I get a out of stock/backorder email. Maybe they were out of stock in the warehouse, but there were still some in stock at stores across the country and they will ship it from one of them? Who knows, time will tell.

JeepsAndGuns
01-17-2021, 10:19 AM
Well cabela's came through. I got the email wednesday it was ready for pickup. The store is a hour drive away from me so I had to wait until yesterday to go get it.
Got it home and already got it torn apart.
Funny, the one I bought that I rebuilt to 223, had a smooth barrel nut. This one actually had a standard barrel nut (which made disassembly way more easier).

JeepsAndGuns
03-08-2021, 01:57 PM
Well to update, I have the rifle completed and got it zeroed in yesterday. I regret nothing and love it.

What started out as a simple stock replacement turned into a complete rifle rebuild. My OCD had a lot to do with it.
I was originally just going to take my current barreled action (which was timed and trued), swap out the recoil lug for the accu stock lug and drop it in the accu stock. However my old action is a gloss blue with the shiny bolt and older native American logo. It looked a little odd in the new style stock with the newer savage logo. So with my OCD being how it is, I decided to just send the new matte blue action off and have it timed and trued so it matches the stock. It also more closely matches my barrel since it has been nitrided.
I go ahead and take my precision ground recoil lug, clamp it in my mill and reprofile it to match the accu stock lug, and open up the slot in the stock to match.
I reused the egw 20 moa rail that came with the new 110 as well. So pretty much the barrel and the scope is the only part of the old rifle I kept.

I shot it yesterday and got the scope rezeroed and am very happy with the stock. Way more comfortable when shooting off the bench from a rest and bags, and I can get a better and more stable hold on it too.
Group sizes are also significantly smaller than it was before. I am pretty sure it was because I could not get a good firm, stable hold on it with the old stock.

GaCop
03-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Another happy ending!:thumb::thumb: