PDA

View Full Version : How dirty should a new Axis barrel and bolt be?

straightShot
01-06-2021, 04:27 PM
I picked up an 350 Legend Axis from Cabela's. I understand that guns are flying off the shelves, but how dirty should a brand new Axis from Savage be when you pick it up? I understand test firing a rifle, but I've been cleaning the barrel on this new Axis for the last 20 minutes trying to get powder fouling out. The bolt face was pretty dirty as well. I have never gotten a new gun that was dirty like the one that I just got. Thanks.

prdatr
01-06-2021, 06:35 PM
Probably not THAT dirty.

straightShot
01-07-2021, 07:27 AM
Probably not THAT dirty.

I wonder if it was someone else's problem that I got.

charlie b
01-07-2021, 09:47 AM
Mine was dirty and had a preservative of some type on it. Cleaned up nicely and shot well after break in.

celltech
01-07-2021, 09:53 AM
All my 12FVs had a ton of oil in them, but not any carbon/powder fouling. The bolt faces do look dirty/used from the factory...just how it is. Clean it up and shoot it.

straightShot
01-09-2021, 09:03 AM
I'll be cleaning and shooting it soon. I did call Savage, and they checked the serial number and said that it was produced just before I got it. The person I spoke with was nice on the phone.

The scope that it came with wasn't tightened down either, and it was able to be rotated easily by hand. This helped raise my suspicion and made the whole rifle suspect. Maybe they're selling as quick as they can make them.

I have 350 Legend dies, some powder and primers. I just need brass and bullets or a few boxes of factory ammo to check it out. Thanks!

celltech
01-09-2021, 10:02 AM
The scope that it came with wasn't tightened down either, and it was able to be rotated easily by hand. !

Completely "normal"... I bought an Axis package rifle years ago and the screws were tightened by a mouse. Many others have found the same thing.

charlie b
01-09-2021, 10:04 AM
QC is one of the problems of most mfgs. And these days, with limited personnel and maximum demand, I would expect problems. Then, add to that the issues with developing and releasing an entirely new model series. I would hope that not too many mistakes are made to make them lose their customer base.

prdatr
01-09-2021, 01:55 PM
Axis QC has always been subjective. The one I bought a few years didn't have the scope base holes finish tapped and had to send it back. When I gout it back they put bases on it for some reason.

Mr.Snerdly
01-10-2021, 02:16 PM
You sometimes wonder how careful they are with the other things too. My Axis had the action screws just snug, not torqued correctly. I can't say it was too dirty. I followed the break in procedure recommended by Savage and I have to say it shoots well. It just doesn't inspire confidence to find loose fasteners though.

prdatr
01-10-2021, 09:41 PM
You sometimes wonder how careful they are with the other things too. My Axis had the action screws just snug, not torqued correctly. I can't say it was too dirty. I followed the break in procedure recommended by Savage and I have to say it shoots well. It just doesn't inspire confidence to find loose fasteners though.

Evidently very poor leadership/management. low wages and low morale. Combine that with pressure to put out a low cost product using minimum/good enough engineering practices shows up in the end product. I'm not saying that all the employees don't take pride in what they do but you can only do so much in that situation and it shows up as heavy triggers, poor firing pin and bolt handle design. One just has to ask why bother at all if this is what you are going to offer to the public.
I surmise that as long as corporate is making a profit, albeit minus the rework, they can justify it.

rerun5
01-19-2021, 09:49 PM
All firearms are pretty heavily oiled before they are shipped, due to the possible amount of time there may be between finishing the firearm and a sale. (Not at all the case right now) When I buy a new gun cleaning is the first thing I do, as stated above some use a heavier preservative in them. As we all know oil/preservative attracts dust, oil and dust combined can look really dark and thick. I bought an Axis in 30-06 and the scope was the same, I had to tighten it. The bolt face on both of mine looked dirty too, but it doesn't get any worse with firing.