PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis scope and mount help!

Sirsavalot
01-05-2021, 06:39 PM
I got a savage axis in 6.5 Creedmoor for Christmas. It came with no scope so I need base and rings as well. How do I figure out what scope base will fit? I am looking at the weaver bases. Are the weaver bases a good option? Also what scopes would you recommend. I have one I might put on temporarily to get out a shoot but would like to upgrade to a better scope.

EDIT: I haven't been on in awhile so sorry for the lack of replies. I was talking distance in my range post but the money range fits there as well. I would like to spend between $100 and$300 for the scope, not including base and rings.

The scope I have to put on temporarily is an older bushnell sportview. Someone in my area has a tasco world class plus for sale for $40. I know the tasco isn't the highest of scopes but would it be OK until I upgrade or would I be better of using the busnell for the time being?

celltech
01-05-2021, 07:10 PM
What is your shooting goal...Target? Hunting? Long range? And how much money do you want to spend?

Typically the Axis takes the rounded base mounts....something like this: https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/?model=628

Sirsavalot
01-05-2021, 07:34 PM
I will be hunting and some target shooting. As for the range under 5 or 600 but more likely 1 to 3.

Robinhood
01-05-2021, 09:05 PM
Do you have a dollar amount that you are willing to spend? The best scope you can afford is recommended.

celltech
01-05-2021, 09:19 PM
I think he was was saying up to $500-$600 but would like the $100-$300 range. Plus he needs the base and rings...

In all honesty you are not going to get a lot in the cheaper range. If you are mostly hunting then a 3-9 or 4-12 is more than enough. Although Nikon is not making scopes anymore their Buckmasters are cheap and I think they work well.

What scope do you have now that you can use?

Robinhood
01-05-2021, 09:45 PM
I think he was was saying up to $500-$600 but would like the $100-$300 range. Plus he needs the base and rings...

In all honesty you are not going to get a lot in the cheaper range. If you are mostly hunting then a 3-9 or 4-12 is more than enough. Although Nikon is not making scopes anymore their Buckmasters are cheap and I think they work well.

I definitely read that as distance. Thanks for pointing that out. I cant suggest anything but a used bushnell 6500 for that price....Maybe a Sightron big sky.

charlie b
01-05-2021, 09:47 PM
I have a Weaver rail on my Axis and it works fine. I also have a Vortex Diamondback that works fairly well. I only shoot targets with it but it seems to track well and come back to zero nicely. Not as good a scope as my Vortex Viper, but, it was half the cost.

prdatr
01-06-2021, 11:12 AM
I put a Zeiss Terra 3x9x40 with Talley Lightweight Rings which have the bases built into the ring so they are one piece. I have used them on other rifles and really like them, this is on an Axis in 243 which I only use for Varmint hunting and Javelina.
Mine is the Compact model which I chose because it is light. Leupold Scopes are in your price range and will hold up to abuse better than something like a Vortex.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/savage-round-receiver-w-accutrigger-8-40-screws/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362167417

KMW1954
01-08-2021, 09:29 PM
My Axis 223 is sporting a Weaver base and Quad rings with a new Burris Fullfield II E1. So far I really like this scope. Cost of the scope was about $215.00

GunsAndGlass
01-09-2021, 06:20 PM
The EGW rails work great.
https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/standard-rifle-scope-mounts/savage/rifle/edge-axis/

big honkin jeep
01-10-2021, 10:05 PM
The Weaver "Grand Slam" series are good solid steel bases and rings and pretty economical to boot.
If you want something that's serviceable and reliable on a budget I'd look at a Burris E1 on clearance.
This scope under $200 is a smokin deal and the ballistic plex reticle will match up to the 6.5 really well for getting on out there quickly without dialing the turrets.
Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 - Burris 200344 | Rifle Scopes at SportOptics.com (https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-fullfield-e1-200344.aspx)

prdatr
01-11-2021, 10:37 AM
The Weaver "Grand Slam" series are good solid steel bases and rings and pretty economical to boot.
If you want something that's serviceable and reliable on a budget I'd look at a Burris E1 on clearance.
This scope under $200 is a smokin deal and the ballistic plex reticle will match up to the 6.5 really well for getting on out there quickly without dialing the turrets.
Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 - Burris 200344 | Rifle Scopes at SportOptics.com (https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-fullfield-e1-200344.aspx)

I like that and at 15.3oz it would be nice on a hunting rifle.

Sirsavalot
01-11-2021, 03:00 PM
The scope I have to put on temporarily is an older bushnell sportview. Someone in my area has a tasco world class plus for sale for $40. I know the tasco isn't the highest of scopes but would it be OK until I upgrade or would I be better of using the busnell for the time being?

Sirsavalot
01-11-2021, 03:27 PM

charlie b
01-11-2021, 05:09 PM
Choice would depend on which had clearer optics. Take the Bushnell with you when you go look at the Tasco and compare them.

big honkin jeep
01-11-2021, 10:14 PM
Before you throw good money after bad on "cheap cheap scopes" let me tell you a story.
Many many years ago, my brother and I were hunting from the same stand. Right at daylight we heard a herd of deer coming through the wooded creek bottom all around us. We both raised our rifles and he whispered "Can you see anything?" I had the lowest end Leupold available at the time and whispered "yep you ready"? "He replied everything is black I cant see" Me: "Here look through mine" Him: WOW! Me give me my rifle... Bang.
Don't let that happen to you.
Optics have come a very long way in the last couple of decades and there are some decent enough hunting scopes available for your budget that are pretty clear, will transmit light, and hold zero. The scopes you mentioned "aren't exactly known for either".(I'm being nice) If you absolutely have blown the budget I'd recommend one of the Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40s that I've been seeing on sale for $149 if you can find one, or maybe even a Burris Fullfield2 in that same magnification range. Maybe put in Burris clearance into your search engine and see what you can come up with. I've had my share of glass in many different price ranges from a lot of manufacturers and for a scope that's actually useable on a tight budget the Burris stuff is hard to beat. They also come with a "forever warranty" that I've never needed to use but heard is one of the best in the business.
Good luck

charlie b
01-12-2021, 08:51 AM
While I agree that more expensive optics are better, I hunted with cheap stuff for many years. When I could barely afford to put any kind of scope on a rifle at all, the cheap Tasco's and Bushnell's worked.

I had one 3-9 Tasco (from Walmart) that started out on a 7mm-08 in the mid-80's. Went through several hunting seasons in NY state, then some more in NM. In the 90's it was transferred to an inline ML when I hunted elk and is still being used in Oregon by the son of a friend. No, it is not the best for very low light, but, it worked for me.

Yes, you 'should' spend as much on your optic as you did on your rifle, but, some just cannot afford that.

Mr.Snerdly
01-13-2021, 07:44 PM
They also come with a "forever warranty" that I've never needed to use but heard is one of the best in the business.
Good luck

Someone said the lifetime warranty CAN mean it is such high quality it is hardly ever needed and they can afford to do it OR it is such junk they can replace it several times and afford to do it. I bought a set of imitation vice grips with a lifetime warranty about a month ago. Sloppiest made tool I ever saw. I took them back before I used them and got my money back. They were about 2/3 price of a good tool. If they sell for $10 the customer will replace it a couple times and then just say to hell with it and buy something good. They buy if for a buck or less, sell it for $10 and can replace several times and be far ahead.

I definitely learned my lesson with Vortex optics. They are JUNK unless you spend a LOT.

rerun5
01-19-2021, 09:43 PM
If you want to work with Weaver mount bases, you can google weaver scope mount base for savage axis and should find a model number for use on the savage axis.