PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a 110

dammifiknow
01-02-2021, 11:46 PM
I just purchased a 110 in .300 winmag, well.......actually I paid for a Millet optic that just happened to have a rifle attached to it:biggrin-new:. Unfortunately the original wood stock is pretty trashed. I'd really like to put it in a stock with a detachable magazine, possibly tactical.

I've searched the net and found that many sites offer stocks, but none that I found explained very much or offered any kind of kit. Basically, I have no idea what I would need to do that type of conversion. I liked the Houge stocks that I saw, and I am waiting to hear back from them.

I just need a little guidance, if anyone knows of any good sites or kits, chime in, please:help:

Txhillbilly
01-03-2021, 11:45 AM
Since there are several different varieties of the 110 produced over the years, you have to know what you have before buying a stock or chassis. Pictures of the gun would help.

Is it a Staggered feed or Center feed action?

Is it a Blind magazine or Detachable magazine?

Is it Top or Bottom bolt release?

olddav
01-03-2021, 03:19 PM
To answer these questions ^^^^, visit the FAQ section.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18164-Savage-Centerfire-FAQ-s-amp-Gunsmithing-Article-Links

big honkin jeep
01-03-2021, 04:19 PM
Ever thought about bedding the action to and refinishing the original stock?
Sounds like a great candidate for a hobby/project/learning experience.
You may be shocked at what you're capable of with the right information, and what that old wood stock can be with a little love.
This is a great site for such guidance.
A couple of tips if you do decide to refinish, Don't sand any checkering, Tru oil is a great hand rubbed oil finish. The more coats, the more protection and classier the finish. Steaming out dents (not gouges) with a clothes iron and damp cloth is fairly easy to do.
There are many items that can be used for refinishing and bedding at the local hardware store such as furniture refinishing items, JB weld and shoe polish (for bedding and release agent) without paying "gunsmith supply" prices. Just as with anything the more information you gather before you start the better off you're going to be.
Need any help or ideas just ask.
If you have an older stagger feed blind magazine be careful with it as they are getting very very hard to find and expensive if you can even find one, and obtaining parts and swapping it out for a detachable stagger feed configuration with the button on the side of the stock is way more trouble and expense than it's worth in my opinion. The last one I converted, I found the correct stock with all the parts and the magazine as a package for sale here in the classifieds and that's been a long long time ago. Blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Here's a thread with an old beater model 11 in .243 I did quite a while back with white line spacers and faux white line spacers. Hey, I couldn't afford the model 14 American classic at the time and needed a project so I made do with what I had. https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?28303-Show-us-your-quot-classics-quot

(https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?28303-Show-us-your-quot-classics-quot)