PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 different chamber, or tight chamber?

Pages : 1 [2]

kwarw1
01-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Here is a pic of the one I made.it works.7707
I bought a "match" barrel for a 45 I was building and fit it, and was having feeding issues. Called all around nobody had a finishing reamer, got frustrated and came up with this idea. I took my time working it in and out, cleaned,checked. and after a little while using some of my reloads that where having the problems to check with it cleared up.
When I read your post I thought I would pass this along. One thing in your favor is you have the actual chamber reamer in your hand. I know the brass is softer thats why I kept the RPMs down and changed the lapping compound often. What dou you have to loose? if you break it down and it don't work you got your barrel ready to ship off.
Your cost will only be your time! ROLL TIDE!!! I live 18 miles from Clemson.

kwarw1
01-10-2021, 02:34 PM
The more I think about this the more curious I get. Your reloading die should be to SAMMI specs. I wonder how one of the rounds, or brass in question preforms in the seating die compared to some new US made ammo,brass. Basically a plunk test. You already know it don't fit the chamber, if it doesn't fit the die I would think the ammo is out of spec.
I agree with you 100% on making it work with whatever you get cause all of the focus should be on the target not worrying about the gun all the time. If the ammo is out of spec a SAMMI reamer may not be the answer. I think it's in the taper being a little off. I deduce this from the pic, the fact that appears to go the full 360 around the case. so from what I can see it's in the throat of the chamber angle, exactly the issue I had.I used a little sideways force as well as in and out to correct the barrel I fixed.

gbflyer
01-10-2021, 03:50 PM
Before I bubba’d up a lap and went to town in the chamber I’d probably just avoid the PPU ammo. Especially if it’s a good shooter. I’d also avoid putting a reamer to it.

kwarw1
01-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Well I went to the local gun store to see if they had any 6.5x55. They had some winchester for $39 a box, and some federal fusion for $32, so I got the federal.
I measured it and the head measures .475, and just below the extractor groove, it measured .473. I tested it and it chambered perfectly fine.

So it would seem there is probably a combination of things going on here.
Seems european made cases/ammo is slightly larger in diameter than US made ammo, and my chamber is slightly on the small/tight side of things.
I can take the federal, point the muzzle down and drop it in the chamber. It goes in till it hits the shoulder. I push it in with my finger and it does not go in any more. I can then tilt the muzzle up and the round will slide back out.
I do this test with the ppu, s&b, or norma, and they all stop before it hits the shoulder. If I did not push the round in with my finger, I have to smack the side of the gun to make it fall back out. If I push on the round with my finger, even a small amount, I have to push the bolt forward and snap the extractor over the rim and then smack the bolt handle back with my hand to get it back out.

I would much rather be able to chamber any 6.5x55 ammo I have than have a super tight chamber. I do not compete or do ultra long range shooting, so being able to shoot whatever I want is more important than a tight chamber.
Looks like I am going to be looking at having the chamber re reamed. I would think just running a proper sized finishing reamer into the chamber should be enough to get it working good.

Three different brands! he wants reliability

sharpshooter
01-10-2021, 04:30 PM
I'd have to agree with gbflyer......

kwarw1
01-10-2021, 04:53 PM
I do this test with the ppu, s&b, or norma, and they all stop before it hits the shoulder. If I did not push the round in with my finger, I have to smack the side of the gun to make it fall back out. If I push on the round with my finger, even a small amount, I have to push the bolt forward and snap the extractor over the rim and then smack the bolt handle back with my hand to get it back out.

I would much rather be able to chamber any 6.5x55 ammo I have than have a super tight chamber. ____________I do not compete or do ultra long range shooting, so being able to shoot whatever I want is more important than a tight chamber.+++++
Looks like I am going to be looking at having the chamber re reamed. I would think just running a proper sized finishing reamer into the chamber should be enough to get it working good.\ These are from "HIS"post that was quoted in my last post

I must be confused I thought this about what "HE", the OP wants. I was simply sharing something that I have done that helped me. Here is a pic of some of my BUBBA'D up work. done from raw Caspian frames with hand files,Lapping coumpound and last but not least a DREMEL. I was told on the internet that the world would stop rotating if I used it, I took the risk,hasn't happened yet
They run perfect no matter what ammo I stick in them, even my crappy reloads. You can do a whole lot with very little if your patient

JeepsAndGuns
01-11-2021, 01:50 PM
Before I bubba’d up a lap and went to town in the chamber I’d probably just avoid the PPU ammo. Especially if it’s a good shooter. I’d also avoid putting a reamer to it.

The problem is, it is NOT just ppu. It is ppu, s&b, and norma. If it was just one specific brand, I would probably avoid that brand.
The european made ammo seems to be slightly larger in diameter than US made.
Between the 3 brands listed above, I probably have 300-400 rounds, so being able to shoot those brands far outweighs any small change that might arise from opening up the chamber a tiny bit (really just a few thousandths).

mnbogboy2
01-11-2021, 03:30 PM
The problem is, it is NOT just ppu. It is ppu, s&b, and norma. If it was just one specific brand, I would probably avoid that brand.
Between the 3 brands listed above, I probably have 300-400 rounds, so being able to shoot those brands far outweighs any small change that might arise from opening up the chamber a tiny bit (really just a few thousandths).

This sounds like a good plan, especially to extend the use of a quality barrel and use your existing "coveted" ammo. Who knows when components will become available?
I
Once the barrel is removed you will easily be able to measure it. Luckily it is a savage and headspace will not be a problem in the setback. Running the new reamer in .050 not only will hold your current curvature index, but will cleanup all the old chamber body & shoulder. The .050 setback, most likely, will also not require additional threads. Hopefully will not leave "shadows" in the neck area. The new reamer should also "freshen" your throat if current erosion is not excessive.
However if the current chamber is not true to bore the setback will not "cure it".
Go for it.

kwarw1
01-11-2021, 03:51 PM

Yeah Jeep you may very well have just very small amount to remove at the throat area. Possibly a nick from a sharp case. You'll figure it out Good Luck

JeepsAndGuns
05-09-2021, 08:07 PM
Just to update this thread, I ended up renting a reamer from 4D reamer rentals. I also got the extended T handle to be able to use it by hand through the action.
I oiled the reamer and started gently turning it in a turn or two at a time, then cleaning the chamber and testing a round.
The reamer only had metal on just the very end, right where the cases were sticking. So I never even got to the shoulder and did not change the headspace. It took surprisingly little time to get the chamber fixed.
I finally got a chance to shoot it yesterday. 20 rounds of PPU and 20 rounds of S&B with no issues chambering or ejecting.
The S&B was more accurate than the PPU. (I found the same to be true in another caliber as well)

wbm
05-10-2021, 09:47 AM
_.

Dave Hoback
05-10-2021, 11:04 AM
Good stuff man! Ya know, I followed this whole thread...read every post. Throughout, people would give you their opinion & most of the times your answer was “Shooting all brands of ammo is more important than ultra accuracy. I think a finish reamer will do the trick” Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut feeling.