PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua

cowboybart
01-01-2021, 01:29 PM
What's the story on the Lapua action. I have a buddy wanting to build one and I am Savage/Lapua ignorant.
Can a standard 110 action be used??

Any links or details would be appreciated.

Robinhood
01-01-2021, 02:51 PM
Buy a Lapua Rifle or buy a Lapua action. Don't use a standard action.

geezerhood
01-03-2021, 07:07 PM
Robinhood gave you what I consider the only option. Yes, even some gunsmiths will install a 338 Lapua barrel on a "regular" Savage large shank action, but it is not a wise move. Plenty of discussion on it in the forum so I won't elaborate.

I now have 3 Savage 338 LM actions. because i couldn't pass up the deal on some used ones with really nice stocks and other stuff included. They don't all have 338 Lapua barrels on them all the time. Before I got my 2nd 338 LM Savage I had Apache Rifle Works make me a 338 Edge to fit my large thread Savage action that came from a 300 RUM. It was installed on an MPA chassis, but I have not even shot it yet......anyway, short story made long, you can equal or exceed the ballistics of the 338 LM on a large shank standard build Savage action by going with that cartridge. You will save quite a bit of $$ on the cost of the action vs trying to find a deal on a 338 LM Savage action alone or a complete gun. My stainless large shank 300 RUM donor action cost me about $250 after selling the barrel and the stock. It looks like you can even buy loaded 338 Edge ammo which was not the case when I had my barrel made.

If want to use what is seen by many as higher quality brass than the Remington offering, such as Betram, Nosler or ADG, you can neck down 375 RUM brass from those sources. 338 RUM cases are too short for that.