PDA

View Full Version : NEW Savage Impulse Action

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

celltech
12-30-2020, 10:58 AM
Hmmm...is it time for a new discussion board???

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=impulse

Apollo117
12-30-2020, 11:14 AM
A poor man's Blaser. It's about time. I'm excited about this Impulse action.

ninner
12-30-2020, 11:14 AM
A little hard to look at and not see a 45 gap “a solution for a problem that didn’t exist.” Concerned about locking bearing malfunction after its worn or dirty. I had a Swiss straight pull for a while and liked it but it was Swiss and had actual locking lugs. I would like to see how this overcomes primary extraction force. I tried a no gas straight pull Ar for a light weight sub 300 blk build but it was so hard to cycle I ended up installing the gas tube anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsekf
12-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Do you suppose they changed the sear?

celltech
12-30-2020, 11:31 AM
Do you suppose they changed the sear?

From watching the videos it appears to be different...

Stumpkiller
12-30-2020, 12:10 PM
Side-switchable bolt is an interesting feature. Looks well designed and certainly is an advantage for large eyepiece scope bells. Hope it is a winner for them.

SavageSeminole
12-30-2020, 03:57 PM
No other info on it other than a small photo and that it is a straight pull?

celltech
12-30-2020, 04:08 PM
No other info on it other than a small photo and that it is a straight pull?

There was a ton of information and videos earlier. Seems someone jumped the gun and they took it all down...

Straight pull action with radial balls pushed into groove to hold it shut. Barrel screws onto an extension that is held in the receiver with 4 pinch bolts. Bolt handle has splines and can be put in different positions as well as either side. Inertial/Springfield stype ejector...maybe no more weak ejection???

SavageSeminole
12-30-2020, 04:19 PM
There was a ton of information and videos earlier. Seems someone jumped the gun and they took it all down...

Straight pull action with radial balls pushed into groove to hold it shut. Barrel screws onto an extension that is held in the receiver with 4 pinch bolts. Bolt handle has splines and can be put in different positions as well as either side. Inertial/Springfield stype ejector...maybe no more weak ejection???

Ok, thanks for explaining more. I did a search on YouTube for “Savage Impulse Action” and didn’t see anything related.

Interesting that they took it down. Wonder when they’ll put it back up. I’m guessing this was supposed to be revealed around the time SHOT Show would be.

Orezona
12-30-2020, 04:26 PM
There are two videos over on the shooters forum.

Monkeymaster
12-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Sooooo,
Ball bearings pushed/locked into a groove.
I assume it would not take much to make it work in a LEVER gun !
Hint, Hint, Hint to SAVAGE!
Also, a QULITY polymer magazine, aka Magpul perhaps ?

mnbogboy2
12-30-2020, 06:45 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/savage-impulse.4024502/&ved=2ahUKEwi0wK204_btAhVOG80KHT0CAjsQo7QBMAJ6BAgAE AE&usg=AOvVaw2IuJDm91FYX1482FsWt4uf

Here's a link to one of the AS post & videos.

mnbogboy2
12-30-2020, 06:59 PM
The cutaway video does not really show how PE (if any) works. Lack of PE was part of the reasons for problems with the Canadian Ross & the Swiss action problems. I assume that the to-fro action of the bolt handle has several functions including; safe locking into battery and possible PE.

Anxious to hear the real and whole story behind this one.

shaffe48
12-30-2020, 07:30 PM
Now that'll mess up all my muscle memory.

Sometimes I feel bad because i like them innovating but with 3 different 110 actions I dont know if I'll ever need an action again.

GaCop
12-31-2020, 08:34 AM
A little hard to look at and not see a 45 gap “a solution for a problem that didn’t exist.” Concerned about locking bearing malfunction after its worn or dirty. I had a Swiss straight pull for a while and liked it but it was Swiss and had actual locking lugs. I would like to see how this overcomes primary extraction force. I tried a no gas straight pull Ar for a light weight sub 300 blk build but it was so hard to cycle I ended up installing the gas tube anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I did a straight pull AR platform two years ago using a side charging receiver and a full bull stainless barrel in 223 Rem, creating a straight pull action. I was curious to see just how accurate the AR platform is/was. All I did was eliminate the gas tube and turned the gas block 180 degrees. Accuracy was better w/o the gas system but nothing earth shattering, accuracy was on par with my bolt action heavy barrel out to 700 yards.

ninner
12-31-2020, 09:16 AM
I did a straight pull AR platform two years ago using a side charging receiver and a full bull stainless barrel in 223 Rem, creating a straight pull action. I was curious to see just how accurate the AR platform is/was. All I did was eliminate the gas tube and turned the gas block 180 degrees. Accuracy was better w/o the gas system but nothing earth shattering, accuracy was on par with my bolt action heavy barrel out to 700 yards.

Mines a side charger also, did you have any extraction issues? I had to wack it pretty hard to get it moving.

SavageSeminole
12-31-2020, 10:17 AM
Very interested to hear more.

mikeinco
01-01-2021, 12:10 AM
actually GLOCK killed the 45 gap AT BIRTH.
developed for glock by SPEER, speer recommended and loaded at 23k,
glock got cip approval at 17k and it was DOA.
17K IS less THAN 45 ACP.

FOR THE RECORD IT WORKS VERY WELL AT 23K
FULL 1911 45 ACP PERFORMANCE IN A 4.2 BBL
SMALLER GRIP THo it is fatter than a single stack 9.
all speer ammo is at or near 23k in spite the cip 17k.
from memory, my 37 /4.2" 900 fps with a 200 for practice,
1000 fps from a 200 xtp for carry
not as "soft" as 1911 recoil, but much easier than 9mm ( 30K+)or 40 s+w( also30k+)
my most common carry gun
45acp power in a pistol only slightly bigger than medium 9mm.

the "problem" does exist
recoil in small/medium 9/40 suck, not all can carry a full 1911
not all can grio a full 1911,
glock killed it with a stupid low pressure limit.

mikeinco
01-01-2021, 12:12 AM
and you clearly do not understand the limitations of the current mag fed actions( not target).

ninner
01-01-2021, 12:13 AM
actually GLOCK killed the 45 gap AT BIRTH.
developed for glock by SPEER, speer recommended and loaded at 23k,
glock got cip approval at 17k and it was DOA.
17K IS less THAN 45 ACP.

FOR THE RECORD IT WORKS VERY WELL AT 23K
FULL 1911 45 ACP PERFORMANCE IN A 4.2 BBL
SMALLER GRIP THo it is fatter than a single stack 9.
all speer ammo is at or near 23k in spite the cip 17k.
from memory, my 37 /4.2" 900 fps with a 200 for practice,
1000 fps from a 200 xtp for carry
not as "soft" as 1911 recoil, but much easier than 9mm ( 30K+)or 40 s+w( also30k+)
my most common carry gun
45acp power in a pistol only slightly bigger than medium 9mm.

the "problem" does exist
recoil in small/medium 9/40 suck, not all can carry a full 1911
not all can grio a full 1911,
glock killed it with a stupid low pressure limit.

You sound really smart.