PDA

View Full Version : NEW Savage Impulse Action

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

celltech
01-05-2021, 11:19 AM
Now that the info is back up....so the receiver is aluminum and the hexlock function is contained in the barrel extension? Interesting...

Love the built in 20 MOA rail. Guess with the aluminum receiver that was much easier to mill.

Fuj'
01-05-2021, 12:45 PM
Being in on the very early days of the poor mans assault rifle,
I'd like to see if a pump action can be configured ??

J.Baker
01-05-2021, 12:50 PM
First article and all the videos are now available on the homepage here.

In regards to some previous comments regarding extraction, here's a detailed shot of the bolt head. It's a similarly styled extractor, but is retained by a circlip as show in the second image.

And here's a shot of the barrel and extension assembled

And one more showing the 4-bolts on the bottom of the action for barrel retention

Bill2905
01-05-2021, 02:37 PM
Being a lefty, I like the ambidextrous nature of this design. If the aftermarket ever develops for this model, imagine having access to the same selection of stocks that exist for right handers.

SageRat Shooter
01-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Being a lefty, I like the ambidextrous nature of this design. If the aftermarket ever develops for this model, imagine having access to the same selection of stocks that exist for right handers.

Amen to that!!! :thumb::hail:

Not to mention that all of the calibers the righties get, will now be available to us Southpaws....

J.Baker
01-05-2021, 04:04 PM
One thing that Fred and I both noticed was that the slots in the barrel nut look to be cut by a ball end mill rather than squared off slots like we're used to. We might all have to invest in yet another nut wrench to get these things part.

J.Baker
01-05-2021, 04:56 PM
Just watching an interview with Jessica Teglia of Savage, she implied that the Impulse action is akin to the Axis in that there is just one action length with different one-piece bottom metal to dictate whether it is a long or short action.

Robinhood
01-05-2021, 08:52 PM
Looking at the barrel extension, the lug and the assembled action, something is amiss.

celltech
01-05-2021, 09:00 PM
How do you ensure you have snugged the barrel/extension into the receiver before clamping down the 4 bolts?

big honkin jeep
01-05-2021, 10:41 PM
I've been checking out reviews from quite a few sources and so far I like what I'm seeing and hearing. The one thing I'm not really excited about is the integral 20 MOA scope rail. Here in the southeastern U.S. I don't know anyone who runs anywhere near that much cant on their hunting rig, and I'd like to be able to keep my scope as close to the center of its adjustment range as possible. I've never really cared for picatinny style setups much, preferring a good set of rock solid lock em in and forget em dual dovetails. A good old drilled and tapped version allowing rings and bases of the owners choice would be far preferable in my opinion.

If you're using 1/4 minute clicks on your scope then 80 clicks from the get go would put most guys off the paper at the most common hunting rifle sight in range of 100yards and maybe even run completely out of adjustment before getting zeroed. At any rate with a 20 minute rail the scope will be no where near the optimum center of it's adjustment range unless corrected with something like Burris Zee rings and inserts.

Minooka
01-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Many of videos on you tube

Back2Wyo
01-06-2021, 10:32 AM
When will these be available?

prdatr
01-06-2021, 03:57 PM
By the time you put a scope on it you will be 9.5 pounds or 10 pounds. Not exactly what I would consider optimum weight for a hunting rifle.

shaffe48
01-06-2021, 04:14 PM
By the time you put a scope on it you will be 9.5 pounds or 10 pounds. Not exactly what I would consider optimum weight for a hunting rifle.

This surprised me also. Now, I personally don't mind a rifle in that weight. But I expected something like a lightweight carbine considering they are selling it as being so fast in all their marketing.hmm

Then again the people who use lightweight carbines might be less likely to shell out $1500 than those who like the more precise setups. Maybe that's the mindset. But what then explains the marketing?

I'm also unclear of the typical rifle weight in Europe. Maybe the walk to the drive stand isn't far and the weight absorbs recoil for faster shooting.

ninner
01-06-2021, 04:17 PM
If the receiver is aluminum where is all the weight coming from? If it’s the barrel that’s an easy lightweight option to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Baker
01-06-2021, 04:31 PM
When will these be available?

According to Savage they should start showing up on dealer shelves next month (February).

shaffe48
01-06-2021, 05:25 PM
It's gotta be the barrel. My 110 is about the same weight with a 'heavy barrel' and accustock.

Fjold
01-07-2021, 11:55 AM
I saw the announcement the other day so I thought that I'd check in here to read more about it.

My questions about it are:

Since it has an ejector cut, why not open the bottom of the bolt face to make a pushfeed/CRF hybrid to help feeding reliability?
Is the barrel extension torqued on at the factory to set the headspace or is it set with the barrel threads and nut like the 110?
Is the 4 bolt clamp arrangement in the aluminum receiver a weak point? It looks easy to over torque and crack the receiver.

Thanks

justa22
01-07-2021, 12:46 PM
Well, I'm 71, maybe this will be my last bolt gun? Looks interesting, need to see one up close.

Alleycat72
01-07-2021, 03:51 PM
I see wandering zeros coming.