PDA

View Full Version : NEW Savage Impulse Action

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Robinhood
01-01-2021, 01:25 AM
and you clearly do not understand the limitations of the current mag fed actions( not target).

I love how you can turn an opportunity for discussion into a personal attack. I was reading about how the guys at Benchrest Central were saying the same thing after you got kicked off that forum also. Don't worry though. There is a soft spot for a good antagonist here. Your safe.

ninner
01-01-2021, 01:29 AM
and you clearly do not understand the limitations of the current mag fed actions( not target).

You’re clearly a know it all. Does your mom even let you keep guns in the basement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowgetter1
01-01-2021, 03:01 AM
This is the same action as a Heym straight pull. This new savage will get me back into the savage game. Barrel nut and a straight pull I am in!!

GaCop
01-01-2021, 08:14 AM
Mines a side charger also, did you have any extraction issues? I had to wack it pretty hard to get it moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk No, no extraction issues at all.

ninner
01-01-2021, 11:47 AM
This is the same action as a Heym straight pull. This new savage will get me back into the savage game. Barrel nut and a straight pull I am in!!

Interesting, if this is a proven design it may be a game changer for me. I have to admit the switchable bolt handle is pretty awesome. Hopefully they will be affordable.

mikeinco
01-01-2021, 06:11 PM
does 0.2 in 223 or 0.116 in a 308 sound interesting...both are ar's, target ar's
they are close to 20 years old at this time.

I did a straight pull AR platform two years ago using a side charging receiver and a full bull stainless barrel in 223 Rem, creating a straight pull action. I was curious to see just how accurate the AR platform is/was. All I did was eliminate the gas tube and turned the gas block 180 degrees. Accuracy was better w/o the gas system but nothing earth shattering, accuracy was on par with my bolt action heavy barrel out to 700 yards.

Orezona
01-01-2021, 07:07 PM
Does your mom even let you keep guns in the basement?

Now that is funny.

shaffe48
01-01-2021, 08:04 PM
I read on another forum a little over a grand $$

JeepsAndGuns
01-02-2021, 10:06 AM
None of the links posted are working.
But based off what I can gather reading this thread, it is a straight pull rifle with ball bearings as the locking method?
I seem to remember seeing a video on forgotten weapons about a rifle like that.

Edit: here, I found it. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/heym-sr30-straight-pull-ball-bearing-lock/#:~:text=It%20is%20a%20straight%2Dpull,into%20rece sses%20in%20the%20receiver.

Robinhood
01-02-2021, 11:04 AM
None of the links posted are working.
But based off what I can gather reading this thread, it is a straight pull rifle with ball bearings as the locking method?
I seem to remember seeing a video on forgotten weapons about a rifle like that.

Edit: here, I found it. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/heym-sr30-straight-pull-ball-bearing-lock/#:~:text=It%20is%20a%20straight%2Dpull,into%20rece sses%20in%20the%20receiver.

Thanks for that Link J&G

mnbogboy2
01-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Thinking that the story behind the Savage "leaker" is going to be a lot more interesting than the new action with the "square wheels". The coverup is in progress. Be nice to hear an explanation of why the links have been deleted.
Who knows, the "leaker" might disappear or commit hilliarycide!

J.Baker
01-02-2021, 11:15 PM
Someone at Savage screwed the pooch as all information on these is under embargo until Jan 5th at 11am CST. I was invited to participate in the Media launch zoom call early in December, and everyone privy to it had to sign an NDA. I've had all the videos and tech info since about a week before Christmas, but mum's the word until the 5th.

mnbogboy2
01-02-2021, 11:42 PM
Someone at Savage screwed the pooch as all information on these is under embargo until Jan 5th at 11am CST. I was invited to participate in the Media launch zoom call early in December, and everyone privy to it had to sign an NDA. I've had all the videos and tech info since about a week before Christmas, but mum's the word until the 5th.

"Screwed the pooch" or a clever marketing ploy to plant the seed & "worry" the competition.��

Raydee38
01-03-2021, 08:50 AM
Really looking forward to something new from Savage. The straight pull is very interesting.

J.Baker
01-04-2021, 02:46 AM
It's been a LONG time since I've gotten really excited about anything new from Savage, but this one has me chomping at the bit to get my hands on one. Have owned a Browning T-Bolt for 5-6 years now and just love it compared to my old traditional bolt-action rimfires, and from what I've seen so far Savage really thought it through when designing it. It's killing me not to be able to go into more detail, but even though Savage accidentally let the cat out of the bag I'm keeping to the timeline and holding my tongue to make sure I stay in their good graces.

How this new model will go over with North American customers will be interesting to see. Compared to other straight pull guns on the market the pricing for the Savage will make it a no-brainer for those interested in that style of rifle. The question is whether or not the majority will view it as some here already have - as an answer to non-problem. Straight pull rifles have never sold particularly well here in the States, but then again, most of them have been expensive imports and I can't think of any American company that's ever offered one. However, as Savage themselves noted this new model is more geared towards helping them become a larger player in the European market where straight pull rifles are far more popular, and while I'm sure they're hoping it will be a big success in the N. American market it's more about the overseas markets than here at home.

Another thing to consider is that for competitive shooters it will offer a lot of advantages. With Savage's typical hard bolt lift they don't make for the best actions for precision shooting - be it benchrest, F-class, or even PRS as the rotational force needed to open and close the bolt inevitably results in the rifle shifting in the bags or rest requiring you to spend precious seconds getting it lined back up and reacquiring the target. Those few seconds per shot could mean the difference between getting all your shots off in the favored condition or not. With a straight pull bolt you eliminate that rotational force out of the equation entirely. The option to adjust the bolt to 4 different positions on either side will also prove to be a nice feature - especially for benchrest and varminting where right bolt/left port or vise-versa actions are already very popular. This will allow you to have that configuration if you so choose for one type of shooting, yet still retain the ability to have a traditional right bolt-right port configuration for other types of shooting. What other bolt action on the market today offers that kind of adaptability and versatility for under $1500 for the complete rifle?

The action itself on this new model has a lot of nice new features as well that I think most will appreciate a lot.

Txhillbilly
01-04-2021, 05:45 PM
If the Impulse action has a new/different style of extractor & ejector to solve the age old 10/110 problems, I'm sure they will sell a ton of them.

celltech
01-04-2021, 07:22 PM
If the Impulse action has a new/different style of extractor & ejector to solve the age old 10/110 problems, I'm sure they will sell a ton of them.

In the video I saw it had a Springfield style inertial ejector...should sling brass across the house if you want it to.

But no clue on how the extraction will be...is the primary extraction how hard you pull back, or is there a cam in there?????

Whynot
01-04-2021, 11:22 PM
A Springfield style ejector wont fling brass anywhere if the extractor doesn't secure it better than they currently do. My big question on this action is not as much about the design but about the execution of the design. The current problems with Savage extraction really isn't a design problem- I have a custom action that uses almost the same setup- and it extracts amazingly. I'd say its more about sloppy work with extreme tolerances/clearances.

I am interested in this action and hope it's successful- but I wont be in line to get one. Let others test them out and then get one if they pan out.

J.Baker
01-05-2021, 04:04 AM
In the video I saw it had a Springfield style inertial ejector...should sling brass across the house if you want it to.

Correct

But no clue on how the extraction will be...is the primary extraction how hard you pull back, or is there a cam in there?????

There's a cam that provides primary extraction. The CGI videos that will be available later today show all of that off.

charlie b
01-05-2021, 08:50 AM
My two Savages extract just fine, including when I have had to pound on a bolt handle to get a round out of the chamber. I think it is more of a QC issue than design.

While I would love a straight pull, the price is a bit too much for me.