PDA

View Full Version : 112 Single shot action conversion

kwarw1
12-25-2020, 03:22 PM
I have a single shot 112 action 5.01 spacing F prefix SN# F8783xx that from my research was from 2000. I bought it in around 2003 or so. It came with a bull 22-250 stainless fluted barrel with a synthetic stock. I remounted the barrel on an accu-trigger 116 action. So I have this left over. My questions are as follows. And before you guys start on me I KNOW that I am stupid cause my wife tells me everyday.

1: Can I have this milled out to make it a repeater? I know this is blasphemy (thank god for spell check).

2: What would you guess as it's value? I forgot to mention it is a blued action and a 1 piece Burris mount with 1" rings.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ted_Feasel
12-25-2020, 04:28 PM
I have a single shot 112 action 5.01 spacing F prefix SN# F8783xx that from my research was from 2000. I bought it in around 2003 or so. It came with a bull 22-250 stainless fluted barrel with a synthetic stock. I remounted the barrel on an accu-trigger 116 action. So I have this left over. My questions are as follows. And before you guys start on me I KNOW that I am stupid cause my wife tells me everyday.

1: Can I have this milled out to make it a repeater? I know this is blasphemy (thank god for spell check).

2: What would you guess as it's value? I forgot to mention it is a blued action and a 1 piece Burris mount with 1" rings.

Any help would be appreciated. ThanksSingle shot actions are generally cut in a way that the extra metal from being a single shot contributes to is stability.. so in short, I would not have anything milled away from it less you could ruin its strength and durability.. thats just my take.. I have never actually tried to turn a single into a mag feed and definitely wouldn't try except on maybe a small cal , low pressure round.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

kwarw1
12-25-2020, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I felt the same way early on but after comparing the two I am just not seeing it that way. If that was true wouldn't that imply that the factory mag style is inherently weak? I agree that the single shot action has to be stronger,stiffer. I would think that they both go through the same process at the factory with the single shot skipping the final milling of the magwell. and cheaper to make Just my thoughts.
I see the single shot " target actions" that sale for big money because they are "stronger" whats the difference? This is a small shank action so maybe that is it I don't know thus my query.
I used to dp a lot of bench shooting but have moved on to long range predator thus needing a quick reload. Not that I miss but a double,triple opportunity.

Ted_Feasel
12-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I felt the same way early on but after comparing the two I am just not seeing it that way. If that was true wouldn't that imply that the factory mag style is inherently weak? I agree that the single shot action has to be stronger,stiffer. I would think that they both go through the same process at the factory with the single shot skipping the final milling of the magwell. and cheaper to make Just my thoughts.
I see the single shot " target actions" that sale for big money because they are "stronger" whats the difference? This is a small shank action so maybe that is it I don't know thus my query.
I used to dp a lot of bench shooting but have moved on to long range predator thus needing a quick reload. Not that I miss but a double,triple opportunity.Not necessarily, there are subtle differences in design and in many cases alloy also. Even a couple thousands difference in thickness in the right (or wrong) places can make a big difference in its strength. I would reckon there are ones out there with superior alloy strengths that could do without the extra metal but im not qualified enough in metallurgy to say what ones they would be

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ninner
12-25-2020, 06:00 PM
Trade someone for a repeater. What state are you in? In texas you can send through the mail without involving an FFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwarw1
12-25-2020, 06:32 PM
Well that would be ideal. but with shipping FFL, etc Don't want the hassle. just thinking, good gunsmith, 15 minute setup and level, mill, cut and done, cold blue done. However!!! if the action is that desirable and strong why do it? That's why I ask for an opinion on the value. I don't want to ruin something to create something of less value. I respect the folks here opinions..

mnbogboy2
12-25-2020, 10:59 PM
Trade someone for a repeater. What state are you in? In texas you can send through the mail without involving an FFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 make a trade for a repeater. IMHO yours is worth more, the party who gets the single shot might even pay for all ffl fees and any shipping.

bsekf
12-26-2020, 10:55 AM
PM sent

kwarw1
12-26-2020, 04:38 PM
+1 make a trade for a repeater. IMHO yours is worth more, the party who gets the single shot might even pay for all ffl fees and any shipping.

Well I've been looking around on Gunbroker today and found some new actions for around $400 shipped. They are all repeater types. I guess that's the going rate. At that price it seems cheaper to get another gun in the caliber I want spoiling the fun of building one.
Problem is they are all bottom bolt release. I have one of those and don't care for that feature. I can get used to I accu trigger. The range I shoot at requires us to remove the bolt every time we go down range which has me fiddling with that more than I care to.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-26-2020, 07:37 PM
All of my repeater actions are converted to single shot by way of mag modification or block off plate.
You don't realize how much of a jewel you have in your hands. Only need one shot if you're good. :cool:
If it was me, I'd be keeping it and looking for the repeater of your choice. No mods required.;)

kwarw1
12-26-2020, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the reply Nor Cal. I'm kinda gun poor right now LOL. I have heard that before, the 22-250 barrel that was on it was a tack driver. I put that on a 116 and it still is.
We are under a coyote invasion here! 3 times I have had them come to my call 3 -5 at a time. Like a pack of wolves. I'm clumsy I guess, I can't get reloaded fast enough, and they ain't waiting around either. The accuracy of my AR sucks right now, I'm working on that now too. I guess I'm blessed to have all these issues. Thanks Again.

kwarw1
12-27-2020, 07:40 PM
If anyone can give me an opinion on the worth of this receiver?

I hear that it's the cat's meow but I don't know, you guys are all up in this and I trust your judgement.

I would appreciate your advise. I will upgrade my membership and post in the classified. I hate to put in gun broker., cause I don't even KNOW a FAIR value. I don't want to look like a fool on either site I just would like to get an idea of where I am at.

kwarw1
01-06-2021, 01:10 PM
Posted in the classifieds.